Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking AR15 not M16 and not any full auto crap so don't start a flame job....

With 40-50$ lowers and some of my old ones with a crap ton of rounds in them...
IT has me thinking about the drill guides that were at one time out there for builders.
They made them for drilling the holes on new built, home built lowers and rebuilding lowers.
Most were for full auto but also semi, you could weld up the holes and redrill them.
Great for fixing loose or out of spec lowers.
My thought was to see how good you can get a trigger just for fun and play.
Was thinking about using the drill guide to over size the holes then inset bronze bearings for the pins.
OR over drilling them and some type of roller bearing, sealed bearing or something in that range.
If it does not work, just weld and drill it for the normal pins.
I see that there are several "match" triggers or up graded triggers that use a bronze, brass or other bearing.
Why not for the pin. Even some of the best triggers have some pin rotation. You can fix that with some of the kits or locks but why not help it move and make it move slick.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
If you decide to go with bearings the best place for small bearings of that nature is "Boca Bearing". I have used them several times in the past for small bearings and their on-line catalog is simple and easy to understand.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you decide to go with bearings the best place for small bearings of that nature is "Boca Bearing". I have used them several times in the past for small bearings and their on-line catalog is simple and easy to understand.
Cool, what got me thinking was I was talking to a guy that builds Jets and some of these things are only 4-5" long. Turn 40-80K RPM.
very cool stuff

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is just it, most of the time the hammer and trigger will not rotate on the pin and force the pin to rotate.
That is why they sell anti rotation pin kits.
My thought would be to make a pin as true as you could and make it rotate as free on the hammer and trigger plus in the lower.
This would cover all bases to make it as smooth as possible. That is what some of the trigger makers are doing with the drop in kits that use a block. They use over sized pins that the normal pins go inside just to hold the unit in place.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Perhaps you might benefit by running your idea past someone slightly more specialized in the machining, accurate critical measurements, and operating theorem of that particular rifle platform.
Ring up Andrew Barnes at Barnes Precision Machine in Apex, NC. Super nice guy, and he would probably enjoy a conversation on this particular idea and its possible merits.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I dont believe a roller bearing would be necessary, there's not enough rotation or heat/friction. A bushing would be the way to go IMO and I have a jig kit if you should need it for reference.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
This has already been done....forgot the folks who sell them but its already out there. Will look it up and get back to you.

Like this???

http://global-tactical.com/tacticalinnovationst15forgedlower2-1.aspx

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never seen their set up.
Not really thinking about that as all they did was to make the surface area harder then the alloy.
I would like to add a bearing in place of what they did with the bushing. But that is what I was thinking of in a way.
It would look somewhat the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.