Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that keep them loaded do you chamber a round or leave the bolt open?

I'm not wild about leaving a round chambered. Just don't trust the safety for some reason.

I know its the same question some ask that keep their SGs cruiser ready but will leaving the bolt open fatigue the recoil spring?

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Some very early Russian SKS models had spring-loaded firing pins, but most variants of the SKS (Yugo, Chicom, most Russian) have a free floating firing pin within the bolt. So there is no FP spring to weaken or accidentally release unless the bugger hook touches the trigger. Takes about a second to rack the bolt so it almost a moot point.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a Norinco and I just cleaned the firing pin so slam fire is a non issue. I guess I shouldn't worry about that beefy recoil spring fatiguing.

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
The safety issue really involves if the rifle with the trigger blocking safety in the safe (safety on) position the firearm could discharge should it be bumped or dropped if the sear was to allow the hammer to drop with the firearm loaded. A worn sear/hammer mating surface or incorrect engagement could result in a possible AD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.