Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on CSF almost a year ago, thought it my be useful to any members here considering the aerosol version:

So I didn't plan to try it on a whole gun but figured it might be decent for doing touch ups on work guns. The pics below pretty much lay everything out, long story short it ate through almost 3oz of paint within 2-3 minutes, sprayed very inconsistently and and even when I tried it again with reducer and a flattening agent it just didn't turn out as well as with my airbrushes or LVLP gun.

What was in the kit

The two piece rail I was testing it on (had been sanded and degreased already)

The whole thing ready to go.

The finished product on the first attempt, note how glossy it is. Honestly if you want to paint something for yourself, just buy a $20 harbor freight airbrush and borrow/buy an airbrush compressor. Since I originally did this review I've had a few other friends try them to see what they thought, general consensus it it's a dud. Although the preval cans and jars are great for spraying simple green on something before you degrease it.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And yes, as someone just pointed out the bench in the garage is no longer wood colored, I've done a lot more duracoat mixing and spray testing on it since then haha.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Thx for the review (somehow missed it on the other site), I've been thinking about trying that myself. Though I couldn't help but wonder.... did the finish that you got have anything to do with the Guiness on the bench??

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the review (somehow missed it on the other site), I've been thinking about trying that myself. Though I couldn't help but wonder.... did the finish that you got have anything to do with the Guiness on the bench??
haha, no the Guinness is there for all of the paint jobs/builds/repairs.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
With using Duracoat i have notice, when using my low-end HVLP gun I had several issues. When I upgraded to a higher pressure gun, though I used more product, I am 100% happier with the finish.

Just as a Note:

Order the large hardener bottle, because you will run out of the hardener bottle before the color is gone.

If you want a matte finish, use less hardener.

If you want a gloss/high gloss finish, use more hardener.

Once again works better in a 42 psi gun.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With using Duracoat i have notice, when using my low-end HVLP gun I had several issues. When I upgraded to a higher pressure gun, though I used more product, I am 100% happier with the finish.

Just as a Note:

Order the large hardener bottle, because you will run out of the hardener bottle before the color is gone.

If you want a matte finish, use less hardener.

If you want a gloss/high gloss finish, use more hardener.

Once again works better in a 42 psi gun.
Similar on this end, I've actually got an airbrush compressor I run at 32 psi with Paasche and harbor freight airbrushs for most guns, for larger parts (stripped uppers, shotgun receivers, stocks, etc.) I use a few harbor freight LVLP guns w/ a regular compressor at 40-45 psi.

I actually end up with more hardener than anything else, I have tons of the little bottles in my fridge. I mix at a 13 to 1 ratio for a bit more matte finish with out under-using the hardener, that always ends up leaving me with more hardener than paint left over.

This was just a test to see if the preval sprayers could be used for bigger projects on the fly (my truck tool box and similar things), for that and any other use, I didn't like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.