Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basing this off some of the open carry discussion comments, how many have discussed with family that if something were to happen say at a restaurant or store and someone or more than one person held up the place that under no circumstances should they call you out or draw attention to you about stepping in. I have not, just wondering if any have.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Interesting. I tell all of them because I want to have that discussion. Friends as well.
Let me rephrase... The ones I haven't told are in the dark because the "why do you need that" discussion won't sway them. I've had discussions with them about firearms before I carried, and I know their stance. Bringing it up further wouldn't do anything.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Let me rephrase... The ones I haven't told are in the dark because the "why do you need that" discussion won't sway them. I've had discussions with them about firearms before I carried, and I know their stance. Bringing it up further wouldn't do anything.
10-4. I wasn't criticizing I was more noting how dickish my personality can be with things like this. I want them to know because it gives me a chance to either try and convince them I'm right, bombard them with the right information to counteract the medias demonization of guns or just make them feel stupid if the first 2 don't work. :).

Most if my family carries now. My sister is the last holdout.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
My partner knows I carry, and supports it. And he takes into consideration anytime we're in a restaurant, I prefer to sit with my right side close to a wall, or at least facing away from the main part of the room.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
My partner knows I carry, and supports it. And he takes into consideration anytime we're in a restaurant, I prefer to sit with my right side close to a wall, or at least facing away from the main part of the room.
I hope at least once he's had the sense of humor to say something like "Is that your gun or are we in for a fun night"

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
My wife has her own gun and quite frankly she is something of a micro-manager. I'm sure if we were together she'd want to take care of it and just have me not mess things up. LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let me say, as an instructor, you should definitely be having this conversation with your family members.

What you are likely to do and the actions you take very much have an impact on those around you. Your family's actions, likewise, have a bearing on your actions. I am not necessarily talking about your extended family, but definitely those that are around you the most and with whom you live your daily life.

If something is to happen in a restaurant, shopping center, parking lot, or even your home, your actions are but one small part of the equation. You need to have a discussion witn your spouse and children that are old enough so that they know what to do when the chips are down.

Mine goes something like this, for example.

"If we find ourselves confronted in a parking lot, I want you (my spouse) to separate yourself and the children from me in a safe direction. Preferably towards our vehicle and if not, back towards the store. I will be addressing the threat and therefore need you to take care of the kids. Get them away from me so that they are not the recipients of aggression. While you are moving them to a safe direction I will be addressing the threat, attempting to move in another direction. Your gun (my wife carries as well) is solely for the defense of you and the kids. I do not want or need your assistance."

We have a very good plan outlined if we are confronted not only in a parking lot, but in a restaurant, grocery store, shopping plaza, our front yard, and even inside the 4 walls of our home.

A firearm is only the tool by which you implement a small portion of your overall plan. A gun should not be construed as your plan in and of itself. Remove as many variables as you can now and you will have that many fewer variables when your focus needs to be elsewhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You got any more of that gum Ace?
That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
Well said and Sage advice.

Let me say, as an instructor, you should definitely be having this conversation with your family members.

What you are likely to do and the actions you take very much have an impact on those around you. Your family's actions, likewise, have a bearing on your actions. I am not necessarily talking about your extended family, but definitely those that are around you the most and with whom you live your daily life.

If something is to happen in a restaurant, shopping center, parking lot, or even your home, your actions are but one small part of the equation. You need to have a discussion witn your spouse and children that are old enough so that they know what to do when the chips are down.

Mine goes something like this, for example.

"If we find ourselves confronted in a parking lot, I want you (my spouse) to separate yourself and the children from me in a safe direction. Preferably towards our vehicle and if not, back towards the store. I will be addressing the threat and therefore need you to take care of the kids. Get them away from me so that they are not the recipients of aggression. While you are moving them to a safe direction I will be addressing the threat, attempting to move in another direction. Your gun (my wife carries as well) is solely for the defense of you and the kids. I do not want or need your assistance."

We have a very good plan outlined if we are confronted not only in a parking lot, but in a restaurant, grocery store, shopping plaza, our front yard, and even inside the 4 walls of our home.

A firearm is only the tool by which you implement a small portion of your overall plan. A gun should not be construed as your plan in and of itself. Remove as many variables as you can now and you will have that many fewer variables when your focus needs to be elsewhere.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
All of my immediate famiily know I carry. My dad has always carried and my mom has always kept a pistol in her purse. Both as long as I can remember. My sister carrys also. I'm working on getting my daughter her CCW now.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
This is one of the reasons why the "duty to inform" really pisses me off.

I was driving to Greenboro with somebody that works for me. She's young, fairly liberal and a freaking gossip hound. (Good at her job....). I got pulled for speeding and had to inform...thereby letting this person know that I was carrying. I'd really rather she not know as she's likely to blab about it without regard to any consequence.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.