Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was initially thinking of buying a radio, sticking it in a box and saving it for a rainy day.

Well, that's dumb. What if I did that with my self defense weapon?

So, I'm interested in a beginners setup to learn radio operation - that way- if I actually needed it- I might have an idea what I'm doing.

Anyways, I'm like 3-4 miles from a few repeater locations and was interested in a basic 2m setup (to start with). I looked at 5w portables, but felt I'd be mostly using it from home base, and as such, would prefer a "mobile" unit that I can plug in and make a "base station"

I was looking at Kenwood TM-281- it seems to be priced right and a decent unit (for single bad)

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

But I'm really grasping at straws - I searched on the web for a few hours for "beginner rigs" and found a lot of "we'll, it depends". Lol, OK, but based on the above data, can someone in the know start me down the path in terms of gear suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
Personally, I'd get a dual band. Why restrict yourself to half the frequencies? You know Murphy says the band you need is the one you don't have. Go over to eham.com and check out reviews. Get a good antenna(s). You're on the right track. Get your tech license. Get out there and make contacts.

IMHO

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I'd get a dual band. Why restrict yourself to half the frequencies? You know Murphy says the band you need is the one you don't have. Go over to eham.com and check out reviews. Get a good antenna(s). You're on the right track. Get your tech license. Get out there and make contacts.

IMHO
Thanks- but how about a suggestion or two?

I've looked on those sites and its like drinking from a firehose- there are 1000 transceivers reviewed... and as far as i can tell- they aren't broken down by single/dual/triple band...

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Contact Brandon1 here. He is big into this if I remember correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Took mine down and put it into an insulated metal box along with some CBs. May pick up a new rig at some point but never got into broadcasting much. The internet gets my spare time along with reloading/hunting/ gardening/honey do work--lol.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
This is the radio that I started with and still use the most http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/2900.html

I have a emergency box that I can mount it in for base and outdoor base use:
View attachment 28993

I have a few different antennas that I use with it:
a homemade J-pole was the first- View attachment 28994

Then I a deal on one of these off Craigslist-http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/antennas/part-type/vhf-uhf-base-vertical-antennas/band-coverage/2-meters/antenna-material/fiberglass/product-line/diamond-antenna-x30a-dual-band-base-repeater-antennas?autoview=SKU

both of these are or were used as a base station set up at home.
I also have a few mag mount mobile ant like this to use on the trucks- http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2141.html

The next radio I got was a HT ( handi-talk) http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5250.html

I also got a antenna adapter so I can use any of my other antennas with it.

I have also picked up a few MURS radios, and some old police radios that I need to get someone to reprogram for me.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
OK, here we go. You are never going to get anywhere posting and waiting on a reply. You need to find a Ham club near you and contact them asap.

You will be invited to their meeting.

You will know if you even need a dual band. No need buying one if there are no active 440 machines around.

You will find out the antenna is more important than the radio.

You will find out most every one swears by "their" favorite radio. Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood make great radios. I have seen very few new radios that did not work great. I have seen very few used radios that worked for any length of time.

Go to the ARRL web page and you will find a huge amount of info on Amateur Radio, including clubs in the area.

If you do attend a club meeting, most every one their will have a mobile rig in their vehicle, and will go out of their way to show you what they have.

My best advice would be to avoid used radios. It's damn near like our classifieds, new prices or higher on used equipment.
Unlike a gun, you can't inspect a radio for inside damage. Warranty is everything. ANY repair has an $85 bench fee.

I have used and trust HRO for all my buying. They match any price. They do not over sale you. If you order by 4 it goes out the same day and should be at your home in 2 days. I use the Atlanta store most of the time. Call their toll free number and ask for Mark, KJ4VO. He is the store manager and will answer your questions, as soon as he gets a free moment.

If you have any more questions, email me: [email protected].

I hope that gets you going, and I hope I can save you HALF the money I tossed away buying junk I did not need.

PS: I hope your already studying for your exam. ARRL also has a free study guide link.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gennieinnc makes some great points. Get up with a club and learn from their experiences. Buy new, good quality. A dual band mobile makes a great base radio. I've owned many Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom radios and got good service from all of them. The new models come out faster all the time, so it's hard to keep up with the latest models, so just get what's I sale this month and don't look back.

73's
Pat W4PBJ

·
Registered
784 Posts
http://www.triadelectronicsupply.com/

I am absolutely sure everyone here has very good intentions, but we do in fact have a good source for used radios. Call Mike at the link above, the call will be worth it. I personally as well as several of my close friends have purchased used radios from Mike and we are all satisfied. Everything he sells is checked out and good to go and he stands behind what he sells.

He is in the middle of remodeling his shop right now, but when up and running he has a constant supply of reasonably priced equipment and is a source of excellent information.

Good luck.

·
Registered
830 Posts
http://www.triadelectronicsupply.com/

I am absolutely sure everyone here has very good intentions, but we do in fact have a good source for used radios. Call Mike at the link above, the call will be worth it. I personally as well as several of my close friends have purchased used radios from Mike and we are all satisfied. Everything he sells is checked out and good to go and he stands behind what he sells.

He is in the middle of remodeling his shop right now, but when up and running he has a constant supply of reasonably priced equipment and is a source of excellent information.

Good luck.
I've bought several used radios from Mike too. He regularly has 2 meter mobile radios in the $50 to $60 range that his techs have inspected. He's also the kind of guy who would make it right if he sold you a busted rig. The Kenwood TM-281 you mentioned is also a good radio. You are surrounded by great two meter repeaters, but you always want to maximize your antenna situation, in case the repeaters are down too. Plus simplex is pretty fun!

Before buying anything I would absolutely study for, and pass your technician class exam. Some of what you learn will change your expectations of your needs.

Lots of good info in this thread. Glad to see there are so many Hams on CSC.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you are free Oct. 27th, go get your license and there will be plenty of folks around at the end to show off equipment and answer questions:

Who: You, all ages and skill levels
What : Ham Technician Class
When : Sat. October 27, 2012

Where: Hinshaw United Methodist Church
4501 High Point Road**
Greensboro, NC 27407
(across from Sonic)

Time: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm

Why: Ham radio is fun, challenging, and useful.
Cost: Donation for coffee

Please: [email protected]
Pre Register (class size is limited)

Bring: Pencil & Paper for notes
2 IDs & $ 12.00 testing fee
Material: Provided

Sponsor: Greensboro Amateur Radio Assn.
GARA http://www.w4gso.org/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.