Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres the deal a few years ago I picked up a 1916 mk3 enfield that had been severly bubba fied with a dark bore. I will included pics so you can weep with me. After sitting forgotten for a few years I have decided it's time to do something with her. So I want your ideas on what I could do the barrel has been cut and the reciever modified so a restoration is off the plate, brain storm lets hear your ideas I want to bring it back to life.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If the rifle is sound enough to fire then my inclination would be to turn it into a scout rifle. Paint the stock, or find an aftermarket, coat the metal and mount a LER scope.
They are real good in that capacity.

View attachment 30302

Not mine. I scavange images to my idea folder. Also this is not the 303 model, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the rifle is sound enough to fire then my inclination would be to turn it into a scout rifle. Paint the stock, or find an aftermarket, coat the metal and mount a LER scope.
They are real good in that capacity.

View attachment 30302

Not mine. I scavange images to my idea folder. Also this is not the 303 model, but you get the idea.
I was thinking about that but there is nothing left to put a scope mount on, short of maybe making a custom mount and using silver solder.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
A peep sight setup would certainly work, but check this out. You would remove the existing sight blocks and this piece slides on and is held with epoxy. I've not used one, but they have been used for years on various scout builds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
While the bbl/receiver is unsalvageable, there looks to be a lot of good parts left there. If it were mine I would strip it for parts and sell the good ones off to fund something more fun than trying to breathe life into a gun that thrashed. If the bolt's locking surfaces aren't worn completely to hell that alone is a $40 part, maybe a touch more if it doesn't have any FTR numbers or anything like that going on with it. Heck, if you wanted to part even the bolt out in its constituent parts people will pay OK money for a SMLE bolt head if it's the size they need to rescue an old rifle that isn't headspacing.

Beyond that, have you taken a look at the internals yet? Are the trigger group parts still stock, or did bubba take a dremel to them to "improve" the trigger pull? THen you've got the trigger guard, safety, maybe even the rear stock (I can't quite see what's going on with that buttpad - is it one that required removal of wood to fit, or just some slap-on BS?)

All in all you might have $100, maybe a touch more, in spare parts sitting there. Throw the bbl'd receiver up on Gunbroker for $.01 + shipping for anyone who wants a project and you might even get lucky and score some beer money out of that.

I'm not saying it would all move tomorrow, but in the end you would have a few extra bucks to put towards buying something worth keeping in your safe.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
This is how my bubba'd Enfield ended up looking, and it's first target @100yds. I tore it down and ridded it of the spider nests,grit and clay that was imbedded in it. Cleaned up the stock with Dawn and a scrub brush. Let it dry and sanded to 320 grit to remove raised grain and gave it 5 hand rubbed coats of BLO. cut the barrel to 20" and re-crowned it. Sand blasted all the metal and coated with Cerakote, Graphite Black and Sniper Grey. Mounted an ATI rail and an old Tasco 3-9x40 scope.

3:00 oclock was first shot off of sand bags, all the rest were after adjustment to windage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same for me. But, I cut mine back to 18" and recrowned it. I had to replace several screws that had the heads snapped off. It shots nice groups even though the bore is dark. I did put a cheek rest on it since the scope was elevated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.