Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good holo for my .300 blk upper. I have seen both sights in real life, I like them both.

Pros of the zombie seem to be its smaller and brighter.
Cons seem to be its taller(maybe thats just how im seeing it) and the zombie recticle can get annoying quickly.

Are either of these really better than the other? 512 seems to be the old kid on the block and is pretty bulky.. I dont want to buy one only to hear its been phased out with something else.

My problem is the rails are only on my upper receiver, will a 512 fit on there ok with magpul backup/flip sight mounted at the back?

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
The 512 is the worst of the Eotech models as its most prone to battery issues due to design. Try to stick with the newer XPS models which mount the battery in a way that doesn't break the battery contacts via recoil.

I wouldn't even consider the Eotech Zombie model.....for anything.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Looking for a good holo for my .300 blk upper. I have seen both sights in real life, I like them both.

Pros of the zombie seem to be its smaller and brighter.
Cons seem to be its taller(maybe thats just how im seeing it) and the zombie recticle can get annoying quickly.

Are either of these really better than the other? 512 seems to be the old kid on the block and is pretty bulky.. I dont want to buy one only to hear its been phased out with something else.

My problem is the rails are only on my upper receiver, will a 512 fit on there ok with magpul backup/flip sight mounted at the back?
If you go with an aimpoint pro and 3x magnifier they make a mount to put the reddot forward so you can put the magnifier on the upper rail also. With Aimpoints the batteries last.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
You could consider a good 1-4x scope if you are not worried about parallax and have consistent cheek weld. The viper pst is nice ( it looks to be true 1x, the reticle lights up nice like a reddot, and it has good eye relief compared to other scopes in it's price range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go with an aimpoint pro and 3x magnifier they make a mount to put the reddot forward so you can put the magnifier on the upper rail also. With Aimpoints the batteries last.
WOW that looks heavy.. And not wanting a scope at all(have to many scoped guns). Want quick target acquisition in close-mid range..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume the 550 series has all of those issues worked out?
I was looking at the Eotech 550, even if it is a bit more pricy.

So the zombie sight is pretty much a niche market for people wanting a comical but pointless sight right?
The 512 is the worst of the Eotech models as its most prone to battery issues due to design. Try to stick with the newer XPS models which mount the battery in a way that doesn't break the battery contacts via recoil.

I wouldn't even consider the Eotech Zombie model.....for anything.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
WOW that looks heavy.. And not wanting a scope at all(have to many scoped guns). Want quick target acquisition in close-mid range..
aim point pro 9.3 ounce
Good Mount to put it forward add say 5-7 oz
Battery life 30,000 hours (3.4 years) (so leave it on for 3 years and don't worry about looking for a button in the middle of the night)

Eotec xps3 8 oz
Average battery life 600 hours

Do you really need the 3x magnifer? The aimpoint would weigh in at just 11 oz with the regular mount. and they can be had for 400

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Get the aimpoint pro! I can ring steel at 300 yds on the regular with it on my ar. Batteries last forever. Mines been on since February and no issues so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk or some other crappy forum app.

·
Dead and Remembering
4,243 Posts
I use the zombie stopper on my max 31 upper.

When your cycling 1200 rounds a minute, a general accuracy is good enough.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Aimpoint PRO. It performed well in the Nightfighter class on my rifle this past weekend.

Direct quote from me to one of the other students as we're walking to the line "Dude, your Eotech just fell off." Cuz it did........

·
Registered
866 Posts
I like the 512, one being it has been around for a long time which means it is a good and tested model. Even though battery life is not the best they use AA's, which are a lot cheaper then most batterys. Second is if anything ever does happen, shtf or something else there are always AA's around. I have 2 and they are great. ( I have actually never replaced the batterys in one for over 5 years and it is still perfect. )

·
3,580 Posts
My 512 lasted less than 3 full mags before the reflector came loose, and the unit had to be sent back for repair. Go Aimpoint PRO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So stay away from the 512s.. Any feedback on the 550?

I hear you guys on the aimpoint but I have to get eotech from my mind first!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've got 2 of the 512's. I had one get loose ONCE. Ever since then i just check it periodically to make sure it's snug. I shoot it out to 200-300 yds, the trick is turn the brightness down as far as it will go and you can still see it for longer shots. The sight flashes when you turn it on if the batteries are low and i always carry spare AA's. I probably have 3-4K rounds through the rifle with the eotech on it and have yet to have a problem with battery connection. I might have a reservation about putting that design on an AR10 but not a AR15, i beat my rifle around pretty good and don't have any complaints. just my experience.

·
3,580 Posts
So stay away from the 512s.. Any feedback on the 550?

I hear you guys on the aimpoint but I have to get eotech from my mind first!
Buy the eotech, then when you get pissed because it broke, it will be easier to get them off your mind ;50cal

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Get the aimpoint pro! I can ring steel at 300 yds on the regular with it on my ar. Batteries last forever. Mines been on since February and no issues so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk or some other crappy forum app.
How is that model for lens fogging issues, I had a comp m2 and the lens would fog at the drop of a hat thats why I went to the eotechs. I loved the sight when I could see through it but if I got out of my airconditioned house or truck into warm weather it was useless for about ten minutes. I have never experianced issues with them falling of but I do tighten them with a screw driver and not my fingers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.