Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience with these HWSs that has an opinion of one over the other? Looks like the main difference is the single 1 MOA dot on the 2-1 and the single 1 MOA dot with a cirdular recticle on the 2-0. Is there a benefit of one over the other, or is it more preference?

I'm considering one of the Eotech's or an Aimpoint Pro. I can see positives of both, but have zero experience with any of them.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
Aimpoint Pro! The batteries will last way longer and are cheaper. 2 MOA red dot works well with a magnifier. Used one in combat for not quite two years; the other time was with an ACOG. Never had a battery die on me, no problems in bright sun or with night vision (Eotech XPS2.X is not NVG compatible) $100 cheaper. Aimpoint is slightly more heavy, but I attribute that to the 2 piece mount.

AIMPOINT!

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Aimpoint Pro! The batteries will last way longer and are cheaper. 2 MOA red dot but works well with a magnifier. Used one in combat for not quite two years; the other time was with an ACOG. Never had a battery die on me, no problems in bright sun or with night vision (Eotech XPS2.X is not NVG compatible) $100 cheaper. Aimpoint is slightly more heavy, but I attribute that to the 2 piece mount.

AIMPOINT!
^^^^^^^^^ this love my pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk or some other crappy forum app.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
The ONLY changes I made to the Aimpoint: Glued down the flip-up caps (not the actual moving part...) so I wouldn't lose them and I took the two screws out that held the mount to the riser, applied lock-tite, and re-attached. If I hadn't dummy-corded it onto my rifle, I would have lost the thing in a gunfight because the screws loosened up to the point where it was wobbling around so bad after the 2nd mag I had to transition to my BUIS. I popped it off and let it dangle from the dummy cord. Long story short: Lock-tite the screws.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Any ideas on the right mount for it to give me a co-witness with my MBUS sights and a place to pick one up? Founds this one at Midway...http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514855/aimpoint-pro-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-moa-dot-with-picatinny-style-mount-matte...$400 with the picatinny mount seems pretty good.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It is mainly going to be personal preference. I have been using the holosight since '97 or '98 for work and play, I prefer the circle dot because I have been able to use the bottom of the circle as a holdover reference point on longer ranges. But now they even have an AR223 reticle that gives you a holdover out to 600m in the EXPS3 and the HHSI models. The EXPS3 has a QD mount that is raised 7mm to allow for cowitness with the irons.
Battery life to me is a moot point, as any time I know I am doing something serious, I am putting fresh batteries in. Just a habit and sometimes even that can bite you, like when you get a shipment of AA's that are nowhere near their expiration date, yet they are all dead. A battery checker is cheap insurance when you are at the far end of the ring flight.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Larue mount

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the response. Still not sure which route I'll go. I'm going to try to find Eotechs and Aim Points in a store somewhere to compare. That will probably be the best thing to do.

Joe,

You're absolutely right on the personal preference, and I typically wouldn't ask a question that has "preference" as an answer. This AR optic thing is just completely new to me and there are plenty of good and bad options. I appreciate the info.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
The mount and spacer that comes on the Aimpoint is designed for absolute co-witness with standard height iron sights, which means it'd work with the MBUS. If it is too high, remove the spacer, but it's designed to co-witness with it. The Larue QD mount is $135...ouch.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went with the Aimpoint PRO and it shipped today. Should have it by the weekend. I'm looking forward to zeroing it and my irons for an upcoming carbine class in the first week of December. I'm sure I would have liked the Eotech also. It will be for HD/range/classes, and I like the idea of having it on all the time and ready immediately if I need it. One less thing to worry about, although I'll probably change the batteries every 12-18 months to be safe. Thanks for all the feedback and info! Bo

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My PRO came in today! It's mounted (looks sweet), and ready to get zeroed...hopefully this weekend. Quick question, and I think I've found the answer searching, but want to confirm with those that have experience with the PRO... Is it my understanding that the first 5 settings are NV settings, and that it is normal to not see the dot until it gets past them?

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
My PRO came in today! It's mounted (looks sweet), and ready to get zeroed...hopefully this weekend. Quick question, and I think I've found the answer searching, but want to confirm with those that have experience with the PRO... Is it my understanding that the first 5 settings are NV settings, and that it is normal to not see the dot until it gets past them?
I think it's the first 4 and yes. The brighter it is out side the more you turn it up. You don't want it too high though just enough to see. Also if you are shooting 100+ you want it low bc it doesn't appear to be as big.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it's the first 4 and yes. The brighter it is out side the more you turn it up. You don't want it too high though just enough to see. Also if you are shooting 100+ you want it low bc it doesn't appear to be as big.

Thank you sir. Yeah, I like the lowest DL (5) setting due to the dot being so tiny, but it's too low to quickly pick up in actual day light. It will be good for precision shots, where I have time to focus on the tiny dot. Level 6 seems perfect, but inside my house there is just a minimal bit of fuzz. Not major, just not a perfect circle (which I understand this is an electronic dot, so it will not always appear perfectly round depending on the light I'm in). Inside, if I go any brighter, the inside of the tube starts to glow red, the dot gets a little fuzzy (bigger) and it is very intense. Leaves a temporary "inprint" in my vision it's so bright. It did co-witness perfectly right out of the box, and I'm looking forward to hopefully zeroing this weekend. This one is going to the job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.