Fake 1911 Magazine Alert | Carolina Shooters Club

Fake 1911 Magazine Alert

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by 1911Tuner, Feb 17, 2008.

1. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Apologies to all for my erratic participation the last few days. Too many irons in the fire and not enough time and energy to cope.

First...I need to make everybody aware of a fake magazine that's come to my attention. The ones that I have in hand have the Metalform "M" stamp with the Colt pony logo. They're stainless with a dull brush finish...7-round with a suspiciously familiar bogus wadcutter feed lip design.

A few days ago, 1911.org member EchoBravoKilo offered to let me have 10 Colt/Metalform magazines in appreciation of my efforts there, which is much appreciated. He said that his Commander didn't like them, and that I could have them if I wanted.

The fact that they didn't perform in his Colt was the first red flag. When they arrived yesterday, I immdiately spotted them as fakes due to the differences between them and the real Colt contract Metalform magazines. I'll contact Metalform tomorrow and send them a magazine to examine.

The other issue was that they appeared to have decent springs...which is odd because the bogus magazine producers generally use the cheapest components that they can get...and this may provide a way to nail this guy.

(I have a suspect in mind. If anyone picks up on it, please don't announce it in an open forum. Don't wanna warn him what's comin'.)

Upon disassembling the magazines, it jumped out at me that the springs are dead ringers for Check-Mate's proprietary 7-round springs. I'll work with Jackie at CMI to determine if this is fact...and if they can track sizeable spring orders to a certain individual and/or area...they may be able to provide Metalform and Colt with information on whoever is infringing on their copyrights.

I'll try and get a few comparison pictures up soon. Our digital camera has gotten a little hinky recently, so it may not provide enough clarity. We'll see.

This thread will be sticky for a few days so that all may have a chance to see it.

2. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Pictures

Comparison of the baseplates. The blued magazine is the genuine article, about 20 years old. Note the rolled edges on the horse and the lettering on the fake...the size and shape of the lettering...and the overall quality.

Many thanks to ulflyer for coming half the county away to do this photoshoot.

[​IMG]

3. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Pictures

Feed lips. All Colt contract 7-round magazines have the tapered, "hybrid" type feed lips.

[​IMG]

4. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Pictures

Rear view...

[​IMG]

5. Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked Hunter of Deer...Few More Days Club Subscribed

I've got two of those phonies that I've had for several years. I'm not certain I've ever used them...don't even know where I got them.

I remember showing them to you one time ('cause they looked a little wierd) and you saying they were counterfiet ones.

I'll PM you where I remember you saying at that time they probably came from.

6. Trident9

Trident9 Registered Member

The magazine police are comming for you!! Better watch out.

7. Taurus357

Taurus357 New Member

SOB...I think I got one of them in my drawer of "don't works", mixed in with kimber mags and no names. I'll try to dig it out and see if it matches up.

8. Ster

Ster Registered Member

Thanks very much for this information ! Sometimes I buy a few mags at a gun show,
    but I am becoming more skeptical because of the fakes. I have had good luck with
    spare mags for P-38's that run around $25.

9. Ster

Ster Registered Member

Thanks very much for this information ! Sometimes I buy a few mags at a gun show,
    but I am becoming more skeptical because of the fakes. I have had good luck with
    spare mags for P-38's that run around $25.

10. ZacSquatch

ZacSquatch Registered Member

I have several (4) mags that feed fine but don't allow the slide to lock when they are empty... is this a sign of a "fake" or counterfeit mag?

11. bugman53

bugman53 Registered Member

At the last Greensboro gun show the fake usgi surplus mags were everywhere! They were in brown wax paper bags with cage codes like the real one. But the giveaway is the feed lips were not fully tapered but wad cutter style and overall they felt and looked cheap.

So keep a lookout for them. I did find some vietnam era checkmate usgi mags though!

12. Golfbuddy45

Golfbuddy45 Registered Member

You make it sound like KIMBER MAGS are no good - - Don't have any problems with them myself - - have any 9mm or 45acp you don't need?

GB45

13. quikslvr

quikslvr Registered Member

Kimber 9mm mags work supremely for me, never had a single issue. :25:

Metalform on the other hand, have given me problems.

14. Bigge_al

Bigge_al Registered Member

Thanks for the info there are 2 listed on Ebay at this current time. You can tell because of the info you posted in regards to the M, lettering and horse.

15. Tin40

Tin40 U.S. Army (Retired)

Thanks, for this information.

16. unknownpro

unknownpro Well-Known Member

good going Tin40, we almost broke the record of longest thread with no new reply. almost a 1 yr.. wow couldnt wait the extra 20 days to hit 1 yr. lol

17. Tin40

Tin40 U.S. Army (Retired)

I did not look at the date, I just thought it was good info. Sorry

18. unknownpro

unknownpro Well-Known Member

please dont take me serious.

19. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

Was the fake mag maker ever caught?

???

20. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner Staff

Dunno, Mac. Likely an overseas vendor, so it wouldn't matter if they were. No word on who imported, either.