Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is interested in purchasing a FAL. But neither of us know anything about them. He likes their looks mainly, so it isn't a ballistic/tacticool thing. He just wants one (guys got the money I wish I had.)

So, who makes "the good ones"?

What is a general price range?

Where is the best place to order/purhase from?

Any other advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
tell him to join the falfiles.com and educate himself on all the different variations. btw i have a century inch pattern l1a1 that runs perfect IMBEL marked recivers are great even if they have the dreaded century name on it lol you can also pick up a really nice rifle on there for a decent price and most have had all the kinks worked out if there were any issues. stay away from any alluminum recievered aka "allumibomb" so there is alot to consider. join the fal files they will educate you. here is my aussi/ century L1A1

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
tell him to join the falfiles.com and educate himself on all the different variations. btw i have a century inch pattern l1a1 that runs perfect IMBEL marked recivers are great even if they have the dreaded century name on it lol you can also pick up a really nice rifle on there for a decent price and most have had all the kinks worked out if there were any issues. stay away from any alluminum recievered aka "allumibomb" so there is alot to consider. join the fal files they will educate you. here is my aussi/ century L1A1
Mine is a century too and looks a lot like yours. Runs great, despite all of the internet hoodoo about them not. Is that a DSA extreme duty mount on yours? Is it worth the money?

OP, Fal's are great rifles. There's a pretty steep initial learning curve on them and like has already been said, Falfiles is THE place to go for an education.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
If he has the scratch, might as well go ahead and pick up a DSA and be done with it, unless he'd rather find an older parts kit and assmeble/have it assembled on a decent receiver(DSA or Imbel), but either route isn't cheap.

If he does go with a Century build, the best bet is to go with an older build on either an Imbel receiver or Argentine imported receiver. These for the most part are good to go. The receivers on these themselves are worth anywhere from $350 and up, and then you can figure in the value of the parts separately, assuming he does get a lemon and needs to either part it out or fix it.

I've got two myself, a FrankenFAL build on an Imbel receiver, and a Century built L1A1 sporter on an Imbel receiver. Both are excellent shooters. I also got killer deals on both. The first I picked up for $225, the sporter cost me $425. There are deals out there, not as many as there were before, but the key is to shop around and have cash on hand, and if he does get a Century build, be willing to tinker with it.

This is the L1A1 sporter that I own. It was an ugly duckling when I bought it. Plastic thumbhole stock, painted laminate handguards, and a cut, naked muzzle. After having the muzzle rethreaded, installing a new buttstock, pistol grip, refinishing the furniture and metal, it looks much better, and I still have less than $500 in it:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Imbel(Brazil)-good, unless built by Century
DSA-older stuff is good, lately having issues with receivers
Entreprise-50/50 might get a good one,
Hesse- DO NOT BUY, unless you are buying it for the parts
Dan Coonan- very good quality
FN Herstal(Belgum)- the original, quite pricey
BSA(Britan)- rare and pricey
Enfield(Britan)- not common and pricey

I ended up with a Entreprise receiver in trade once with alot of FAL parts. It was out of spec and could not be used, it is now a paperweight. Seeing as I got the receiver second hand I can't say it come from the factory this way. I think I may do a cutaway one day.

Another time I ended up getting a good deal on a very complete Israeli FAL on an Entreprise receiver. Everything looked good to go, and the guy sent plenty of pics. The gun had all of the hard to find small parts that make the gun stand out and had a 0gauged barrel. Well when I opened the box at the FFLs and pull the rifle out, the locking shoulder falls out. I had a spare that was the largest one I had ever seen(.305) and it was too small. The hole was at .3065. Me and the guy worked it out, and I cut up the receiver and sent him the serial numbered part of it.

Do what you want but I will never buy another Entreprise. I have just gotten a bad taste for them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
FN FAL/ STG-58 is the end all-be all of true assault rifle design. Its a tank. Tell him to forget the frills and the tassles. get a full sized, standard pattern rifle and lots of ammo and mags.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They are addictive. I have 2 complete rifles, a complete parts kit waiting to be built and some random parts that are waiting on some more parts to be built.

The two rifles are an almost completly Israeli light barrel clone, and an L1A1 kit with Australian furniture.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I have a Para built on an Imbel rec with an Imbel barrel and used the DSA folder assembly. Put an FS2000 hider (not in pic) on it and a SAW P.grip (has a better angle to it) and I really like this combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.