Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your "go-to" holster? Like many of you I have several - Crossbreed, Uncle Mike's, MTR, Wild Bill's, Crossbreed Knock-off, Fobus, etc.

For me, I tend to find that I go back to the Wild Bill's a lot. Small, leather and very comfortable.

What's your favorite?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Tagua gunleather, open top.

Joint Glasses Chin Shoulder White

Attachments

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Rocketman Low Rider for both my Glock 23 and M&P9c pictured here. Carried my G23 in it daily and exclusively for over 5 years without a single issue and with extreme comfort. Been doing the same with the M&P for the last couple years.

www.rmholsters.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Crossbreed Knock-off" = Kholster for me.

Bought it, loved it. Still going strong 3 years later. And it holds my Full Size XDM, my XD Subcompact, and my XDM Compact.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
Simply Rugged. I just love em for my wheel guns. With the Inside/Out straps you get an OWB and IWB in a single holster.

Wow..... I was going to post pics of mine but now I'm embarrassed to after viewing WNCSeabees..... lol Great pics... my tongue is still dragging over the wheel guns!

I use Crossbreed for the Glock30, N82 Tactical for the PF9 a lot, and just a plain ol' Blackhawk #03 pocket holster for the PF9 when I pocket carry which is a lot. I am forced to use different carry methods due to lifestyle.

Keep posting guys.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Remora clipless.

Can't recommend it enough. Everyone should have one, and for me, I believe it is the only holster I will ever need.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I rotate between my Ruger SR9c and my Glock 26 as normal carry.Occasionally carry a RIA Tactical... Carry all in an alexap holster.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not to derail the thread but I have a question that I thought you guys could answer for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I bought a used alexap holster to carry a Glock 30. I've only carried a few times but that mag release button is wearing my love handle out. :) I carried about 4 o'clock because I was not wearing a jacket at the time. I thought it would print less in that position.

My question is, am I doing something wrong? Do I need to look at other holster offerings? or are there any tricks I can employ to get around this?

If it is cold out, I use an OWB pancake holster with my coat over it and it is much more comfortable.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Hoping to get a little knowledge here. What do you guys use as criteria to evaluate a holster? I have two that I use a bit, but I don't know if I "like" them or not. One is not really a "holster" so much as it is one of those "thunderwear" things that fit completely inside your pants. I really like it with a glock 26. Has a place to keep an extra mag, and I also put a small folding knife in there.

Here is a pic of the product

Sleeve Waist Beige Electric blue Pattern

I also have a Fobus paddle for my sig 229. It fits in the Thunderwear (almost any pistol will, including a 1911) but the hammer wore a hole in several of my nicer dress pants and my wife pitched a fit, so I started wearing any hammer pistol outside. One thing I hate about it is the "catch" it has over the paddle, It has two prongs that go to the outside of your belt and grip the belt to keep the holster in place. This drove me crazy when I needed to take the holster off, so I wound up dremelling them off. I would post a pic but it is a standard paddle holster and I assume everyone knows what they are like.

This is my only real experience with holsters, though I have a cheapie generic nylon owb around somewhere.

So, what KIND of holster in general do you guys use and why? What are the advantages to OWB vs IWB? Paddle vs lips or loops? Where do you carry? Does anyone ever carry small of the back? What are the different holsters to do so? I want to utilize the services of some guy over on the old board who makes Kydex. Cannot remember his name but I have heard good things about him. People say his stuff is good as or better than crossdraw (I think he puts them on a leather pad like CD). Emailed him once about making something for my sigs but never followed thru. Anyone know who I am talking about?

How large a handgun is, in your opinion, too large to be "concealed?" Moreover, what do you consider truly concealed? I have seen lots of IWB stuff where enough of the weapon is poking out that I think, "you need a jacket over that," and if that is the case, why not just wear OWB.

I have not thought through any of this stuff and would like to build a "conceptual grid" so that I have something to hang facts and ideas off. When I get interested in stuff I tend to want to know just about everything about it (personality defect, always been that way).Please either be verbose or link me to a site that will explain in detail what factors are involved, if you know of something like that (or are cursed in the same way!!!!).

I am interested in why certain "styles"of holsters/carry are better or worse, then why leather/kydex/nylon might be used, and what the disadvantages are of each. I realize a generic question (or set of questions) is somewhat like a noob wandering in saying "what is the best handgun to buy." I have probably cycled thru about 80 handguns over the last few years before settling on autofeeds (sig and glock) in 9mm and .40 (I probably should streamline more, but can't bring myself to do so!). I would prefer not having to cycle thru holsters in the same haphazard "this looks nice, I think I will try it" fashion.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I love leather for its looks, but Kydex is a better option overall since it doesn't lose its shape over time or break down from sweat.

As for criteria.....I personally prefer to carry in a manner which allows me to draw and fire in less that 1.75 seconds. Any style of carry that takes longer than that for me is limited to special occasions where such deep cover is the only option. Keep that in mind as you look at some holster/gun options which carry the pistol grip so low on the belt that you nearly have to dig it out. Most days I find a good OWB pancake holster works just as well as an IWB holster since both require a cover garment anyways.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
http://www.concealmentsolutions.com/

"Concealment Solutions" is up and coming with a good following. I have one of the Black Mamba's for my Glock 26. I have mostly Crossbreed Supertuck's for everything else. If I wanted a new one today I would probably go with Concealment Solutions....I just like the clips and the overall comfort better than the Crossbreed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.