Favorite rifle | Carolina Shooters Club

Favorite rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by 45/70hunter, Aug 28, 2018.

1. 45/70hunter

45/70hunter Registered Member

What's your favorite rimfire rifle? Near 40 years ago I had the choice between a lightly used Ruger 10/22 or a new Remington 77, both were under $100. I never dreamed what the market would do years later with those 77's. I didn't care for the new fangeled plastic stock so I got the Ruger and never looked back. I still own that Ruger, well now my son does. We recently did the AR22 conversion, added a red dot sight, and he loves shooting it. In searching for a replacement .22 for myself, I fell into a very nice 77 for a steal at $150. I grabbed it up knowing I could get $400-$500 for it, buy a new Ruger take down, and pocket some cash. Well I decided to take it out shooting. I initially put a small scope on it but quickly removed it because it changed the feel. Wow!! these things are light, and I'm very surprised at how accurate it is. I've decided to hang onto this one.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. dkmatthews

dkmatthews Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

My favorite rimfire is an antique I picked up at a pawn shop several years ago.

It's a 1931 or 1932 Mossberg Model C. It's a single shot, bolt action rifle and will shoot .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 Long Rifle. Due to the age and the absolute lack of any parts for it, I only shoot subsonic ammo or powderless ammo through it. I don't want to subject it to the strain of high velocity, high pressure rounds. It's a very straight shooter and super fun to carry on trails around the house.
    https://www.carolinashootersclub.co...el-c-22-bolt-action-single-shot-rifle.153615/

3. Revshtr

Revshtr Registered Member

Of course a Ruger 10/22 have had many but kept my original I bought years ago and still shoot it quite a bit.

4. Redneck1

Redneck1 Registered Member

Any version of the marlin 39.

wetdog1911 likes this.
  5. wetdog1911

wetdog1911 Registered Member

Pretty much the same here, but I have a particular affinity for the Mounties. They just shoulder and point more naturally for me than the rifle.

I have 2, a 1959 and a 1960. Love both of them

Third on the list is a CZ 452 Trainer.

Wet

Redneck1 likes this.
  6. Jmoser

Jmoser Registered Member

Found a Remmy Fieldmaster pump - tuned it up with lighter trigger and absolutely love it. A classic !

7. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Registered Member

I have a very old rem. 552 speedmaster, an early 10/22 and a marlin 60. I like shooting the marlin a little better. It handles a little better and is a little more accurate than the other two.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

8. plunker22

plunker22 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I still pine for my dads old Winchester 62 pump. That is what i grow up shooting! My brother now has it. My first was a Marlin 60. Sold it because too easy to shoot, and got my first Marlin 39. I DO like my levers too, and the Mountie DOES handle the best! BUT the 10/22 has the most rounds through it! So favorite is impossible to call. (then add on (4) 22 Mags.)

9. ammoaddict

ammoaddict Registered Member

I have my dad's old model 61 pump. It's worn out and jams a lot but I still love it. I get it out every father's day and shoot it in his memory. My brother wanted it too, but said I could have it if I put it in my will that it would go to his son.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

10. crsides

crsides Registered Member

right this minute, its my marlin 1897. What a fun gun to shoot, octagon bbl, case color receiver, 1908.

Charlie
    [​IMG]