Carolina Shooters Forum banner
81 - 100 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
That is most certainly an opinion shared by many here, I just disagree. There is no way most who see it that way went in with an open mind, I mean after all, it came from Holder's Justice Department so no chance it could be legit. Confirmation bias works both ways.
While I will admit to a certain level of bias against the current DOJ (heck I will admit to it against the DOS and I work for them), I did actually sit down and read the report and feel on its own that it is one of the largest loads of BS crap I have ever read. However, I am always willing to have an intelligent discussion about its points and conclusions.

Reactions: ikarus1

·
Off to Greener Pastures
6,483 Posts
I don't think those protesting have asked for officers with a particular skin tone, just for officers that won't treat them differently because of theirs.
I disagree. They want black police officers and will not be happy with anything else. And, that is fine. With nearly 70% of their population being black, they should have that if they want it.

They will find that they will still be pulled/ticketed/arrested/get their ass kicked for breaking the law and acting like dumbasses though.

Go to China Town and the Chinese police will still give you a ticket for speeding even if you are Asian.

·
Les Deplorables
15,064 Posts
I disagree. They want black police officers and will not be happy with anything else. And, that is fine. With nearly 70% of their population being black, they should have that if they want it.

They will find that they will still be pulled/ticketed/arrested/get their ass kicked for breaking the law and acting like dumbasses though.
IIRC, there was some study/analysis that showed that black cops shoot blacks at the same rate as white cops. Those racist bastards! o_O

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
"They" do? If you have heard/read that, I don't know that that person was speaking for every resident of Ferguson. The message I've heard pretty consistently is that they want a police department that is reflective of the community with officers that live in the community. I would think most folks would want that for their town/city.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
"They" do? If you have heard/read that, I don't know that that person was speaking for every resident of Ferguson. The message I've heard pretty consistently is that they want a police department that is reflective of the community with officers that live in the community. I would think most folks would want that for their town/city.
Then the community needs to apply for positions. That requires certain levels of education and lack of criminal records. But blaming the department because the community isn't supplying those candidates is not the department's issue.

·
Off to Greener Pastures
6,483 Posts
IIRC, there was some study/analysis that showed that black cops shoot blacks at the same rate as white cops. Those racist bastards! o_O
That's why I mentioned Detroit. Most racially diverse PD in the country. And one of the most hated by their citizens.

Grass is always greener...errrr whiter....er blacker.

What it all comes down to is this for me: despite thee best efforts of many lawyers and different government agencies all the way to the very top, they were able to prove only one thing:

Officer Wilson was telling the truth. His version of events is precisely how it occurred. That's it.

As it turns out: the douchebag who robbed the fella ten minutes earlier is not the poster child for lack of justice. Actually, to those that actually care about JUSTICE, it is officer Wilson who is the poster child for lack of justice.

And maybe that poor bastard who not only got robbed and assaulted by said douchebag, but was later looted repeatedly by the "community" there. Justice my ass.

As far as a few white cops making racist jokes: I hope they don't come for Dave Chappelle next because I love that guy.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Considering the shooting skills of, and quality of firearms used by, the average hoodlum, I find a 2/3 hit ratio from 125 yards with a handgun to be *very* interesting.

Not ready to put on the tinfoil hat just yet, but I am intrigued by this.
I've never figured that I needed a tinfoil hat. But, hat or no hat, I do know B.S. when I hear it. I have never seen anyone shoot a handgun that well.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
With the film quality being roughly Zapruder quality - the only things missing are a nearby Book Depository, a Grassy Knoll, and a single bullet theory.

·
Premium Member
20,102 Posts
I didn't know a police officer could take away anyone's freedom? I thought that could only be done by a judge and jury?
The fact that police have falsified evidence is nothing new or even uncommon these days let alone in the past. I know people whom have served time because a dirty cop falsified evidence.
Come on krabba, let's go to the range and try this out. 3 shots, no practice, and get 2 hits on target (the entire target counts not just head shots). It'll be fun!
Hits at 125yds with a handgun on stationary man sized targets isn't difficult. While I don't doubt there could be more to the shooting its not really a stretch to see someone getting a couple random hits at that range.
What issues? If you actually read the DOJ report, it is blatantly a hit piece. Its provides facts and figures and then draws a conclusion that is the exact opposite of those facts and figures! That kind of work would get you fired, even at a liberal university.

For example. The report says that 93% of the arrests in Ferguson are black. By itself that number seems horrible, proof of the problems in Ferguson. But when factored against Ferguson's population mix and national criminality statistics, it is proof of the exact opposite. It should be higher!

The report goes on to lament about Ferguson's racial mix at the police department. But never provides any factual basis to show that the mix is due to racial hiring. It simply tries to use the mix as proof in and of itself. Something anyone with intelligence and lack of bias can see straight thru. To actually prove its point it would have to show a trend of black applicants who were not hired. The reason it skips all this - lack of black applicants. Well, you can't hire those who are not applying for jobs. Same with the Judges and City Council. The report goes as far as blaming whites for the fact that the black community comes out for Nov national elections, but not for April local elections.

I ma not saying that one or more officers at the Ferguson FD aren't racists or assholes. But the DOJ report is proof that the PD itself is not the primary issue.
Seven bigoted or off color emails =/= proof of racism.

Statistics presented without context =/= proof of racism.

Anecdotal accounts from unnamed sources about unnamed officers =/= proof of racism.

But, it was printed on DOJ letterhead and that was all that was needed to generate the desired headlines so the weak-minded believe it.

Wasn't necessary. Mike Brown getting shot is all the proof some required. Hell, the "community wouldn't be upset if it wasn't true" is offered up as evidence.
I'm assuming everyone just glazed over the stuff that points out how they were essentially running a for profit court system full of needless stops, arrest, tickets, and add on fines all targeted at a population of poor people whom have no recourse. I saw a lady in a TV interview with a stack of tickets where she and her teen sons have been stopped roughly 30+ times over the past year and ticketed for unwarranted offenses. The missed time at work for court appearances have had a significant financial impact on her family.

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
Then the community needs to apply for positions. That requires certain levels of education and lack of criminal records. But blaming the department because the community isn't supplying those candidates is not the department's issue.
Yes, Lord knows they shouldn't actually recruit for what they need.

Beyond that, it is a bit of a catch 22, don't ya think? Join a troubled police department with a questionable racial history that is hated by many of the citizens because of it? Yet how do you change that department if the officers are always the same?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Do they think it was a handgun because of the ammo or something else? It seems to me if it because of the ammo it could easily have been a pistol caliber carbine. Crap, Hi-point carbines are cheap and effective at what they do, and shouldn't be too hard of a shot at that range on a stationary target.

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
That's why I mentioned Detroit. Most racially diverse PD in the country. And one of the most hated by their citizens.
You sure about that one? It seems Chief Craig has been winning hearts and minds.

As far as a few white cops making racist jokes: I hope they don't come for Dave Chappelle next because I love that guy.
Yes of course, a comedian doing standup is the same as cops and court officials emailing racist jokes across their work accounts. Fuckin' amazing.

·
Premium Member
20,102 Posts
I love how easy it is for some to dismiss the significance of the emails, however I get it. Those who dismiss them as worth nothing don't see the big picture. There's report of unfair or biased policing in the department butamy find that hard to believe. Why, because surely if that were true it would be dealt with swiftly once a complaint was filed correct? Well when the leadership shows lack of respect for those whom they happen to comfortably joke about what are the chances for any complaints to be investigated? Doesn't matter if its 1 email or 100 it still shows a sign of a deeper issue...especially when it comes from people who can effectively take away your freedom yet are trusted to protect and serve. Its all good though because I know some of you have never seen some of the ugly things I have up close and personal so it makes it stuff if myth. Also, nobody has said that many if not most of those arrested, fined, etc didn't deserve it. The problem is when your view is so clouded by that you overlook the unwarranted cases against innocents. Its no different then painting all gun owners as nut case out for blood vigilantes because of the actions of some lunatic that does something stupid. Amazing how everyone can easily stand up and speak against that.
Sorry for the soapbox but I've seen my fair share of dirty police work and know that it isn't myth so I'm a tad more sensitive to this stuff compared to those who have walked through life in a different set of shoes. And this coming from a man who has never been arrested or in major trouble. Don't assume that since my background is clean I haven't seen what's behind the dirty blue curtain. I was taught to respect LE and not judge them all because of the actions of the few, however life has also taught me not to blindly trust them either.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Wahoo, with all due respect how do you know those tickets were unwarranted? Three teenage sons???!!! I presume from what you say that they're black. However, white or black, three teenage sons is a living headache. I'm presuming they got most of the tickets.

·
Permanently Banned
4,196 Posts
A friend of mine from the Navy shared the following insight this morning on FB:

"Remember when the left blamed Palin for Giffords getting shot? Did you dismiss it outright as ridiculous?

You were right then.

If you are blaming Holder or Obama's dumb ass for cops getting shot in MO, you have tossed aside reason in lieu of your ideology.
"

That about sums it up for me, as you can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I'm assuming everyone just glazed over the stuff that points out how they were essentially running a for profit court system full of needless stops, arrest, tickets, and add on fines all targeted at a population of poor people whom have no recourse. I saw a lady in a TV interview with a stack of tickets where she and her teen sons have been stopped roughly 30+ times over the past year and ticketed for unwarranted offenses. The missed time at work for court appearances have had a significant financial impact on her family.
Um...do people really think that is unique to Ferguson? Or predominantly black jurisdictions? All traffic courts are a money racket.

Again, this only equals proof of widespread, institutionalized racism if you want it to.

Like the seven emails from 2 people, if this is the worst the DOJ could dig up I doubt that PD is full of rabid white supremacists.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
81 - 100 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.