Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an SBR....form 1 was sent off yesterday. So far I have:

Lower:
PSA lower
PSA LPK
Spikes pistol buffer tube (till my stamp comes in....)
h2 buffer
PSA carbine buffer spring
Spikes tactical trigger
BAD lever
CADD engraving already done

Upper - 5.56
PSA 10.5" upper (not sure which BCG is in it..i need to look, it's PSA but not sure if it's M16 or not)
9" Troy Alpha hand guard
IWC hand stop made for Troy Alpha
Cut down PSA sight to make low profile gas block...drilling/tapping for an 8/32 set screw tonight to make it adjustable
Mickulek brake, for now
Vortex SPARC playing dual duty on both uppers
8x GI mags
3x 30rd Pmags
3x 20rd Pmags

Upper - .22lr
CMMG dedicated .22lr upper
Redtazdog just got the barrel shipped to him yesterday to cut/crown/thread to 4.5"
7.2" Troy Alpha hand guard
Magpul AFG1
4x BDM Xform mags (no bhoa)

Suppressors:
.22lr - Xcaliber Genesis
5.56 - Liberty Torch

I'm trying to assess if there's anything I've left out...
Eventually I'm going to buy a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 in a Larue mount to switch between uppers...but...i just bought all the rest of this stuff over the last 2 weeks, so i gotta wait some..
Also, when my stamp comes in...i'll buy a PSA milspec buffer tube and a magpul STR stock

I'm also going to get a taccom pressure plug for the .22lr

so....anyone see anything I'm missing???

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Sounds like you've got it pretty much covered aside from iron sights. I doubt you'll need the taccom plug.

That .22 upper sounds eerily familiar(Redtazdog 4.5, Alpa 7.2, SS Sparrow)... You'll love it, he does some great work!

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I ordered a Taccom barrel last week....should have it next week. Also picked up one of those pressure plugs.....all for a dedicated upper I am building.

Is that Torch a thread on design or does it use a specialized mount?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ONLY use thread on cans...i won't buy a quick detach or specialized mount can, ever

and nice SBR jerz....mine will look very similar...except the stock and the rest of my furniture and handguard will all be magpul OD...plus I have squid grips in my hand guards to offset the color some :)

and as for iron sights, neither gun will have them...as I don't use or like them...only optics for me

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Is there a downside to having the bbl covered by the FF tube/hardguard? It seems like when using the gun un-suppressed
Your hand could get in front of the muzzle??? Or do you have a bbl extension to bring the muzzle out to the end of the tube?

I'm planning on a 7.5" bbl with 4.15" FF tube, but after seeing your pic I wonder if I should go with a 11" FF tube. The can I bought is approx 7" long and a thread on type.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I use and extended CAR FH when the can isn't on there. It seems like I got it from Bushmaster or DPMS.
You can see it in this pic.

CHRIS

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Is it a chore to tighten the suppressor or bbl extension correctly when you can't get to the base of it?
It would seem you'd need to put all the tourque on the end rather than at the threads.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
I use and extended CAR FH when the can isn't on there. It seems like I got it from Bushmaster or DPMS.
You can see it in this pic.

CHRIS
Same here- I really like the look of the supressor partially "sunk" into the hand guard. I bought an extra long FH, but a fake suppressor would work too (someone on CSC was advertising a pretty nice look one recently!)

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Is it a chore to tighten the suppressor or bbl extension correctly when you can't get to the base of it?
It would seem you'd need to put all the tourque on the end rather than at the threads.
Mine is pretty easy, since there is so much exposed real estate on the suppressor. If you can get your thumb and index finger on there you should be able to tighten it up enough. If you can't easily screw it on with two fingers something is wrong with the threading somewhere.

Sorry for the hijack, GSR. :)
CHRIS

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nice build list! Two things...

1) Let me know how you like the IWC handstop for the Alpha rail (I was thinking about ordering one for my .22 upper).
2) What are your thoughts on the WAR upper from innovative arms for a suppressed 10.5" setup? I'm leaning towards building a MK18 clone with that upper receiver swapped in place of the DD upper.

·
Registered
822 Posts
That's pretty sexy.

I saw your PS90 form1 in the waiting list thread, but not your spectreII- how long you been waiting on it??
Thanks. Check cleared back on 5/16 but it didn't go pending until 6/14. The biggest kick in the ass is that I didn't get my paperwork out for my 5.56 AR lower until a few months later (9/30 pending date I believe) so this upper will be a paperweight for a while, but that's my own fault. I was focused on the 9mm build, but now I'm more excited for shooting the dedicated .22, lol.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dang....we're gonna have a LOT of redtazdog/alpha combos on this board! mine will be the only one that's all OD though...all the tacticool guys have to have FDE now, haha

i ordered an IWC and AFG1 today...didn't like the AFG2 on the alpha...stuck down too far with the rail section...so I'll get some pics/review when the stuff comes in... sucks spending $2100 on gun stuff in one week...and realizing you still have another $800-1000 to go before the guns even done!

·
Registered
822 Posts
dang....we're gonna have a LOT of redtazdog/alpha combos on this board! mine will be the only one that's all OD though...all the tacticool guys have to have FDE now, haha

i ordered an IWC and AFG1 today...didn't like the AFG2 on the alpha...stuck down too far with the rail section...so I'll get some pics/review when the stuff comes in... sucks spending $2100 on gun stuff in one week...and realizing you still have another $800-1000 to go before the guns even done!
I think the alpha rail looks the best with a small 1" diameter .22 can inside, which is why it's so popular. I debated going with a rail with a larger ID so I could swap in a 9mm can for sh*ts and giggles, but I do think the troy rail looks and feels perfect for a .22 upper. I need a handstop or two and some sights to complete it, but those details are still up in the air at the moment. I like troy iron sights, but much like you, my wallet is feeling a little light from all the NFA goodies. :D

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Thanks. Check cleared back on 5/16 but it didn't go pending until 6/14. The biggest kick in the ass is that I didn't get my paperwork out for my 5.56 AR lower until a few months later (9/30 pending date I believe) so this upper will be a paperweight for a while, but that's my own fault. I was focused on the 9mm build, but now I'm more excited for shooting the dedicated .22, lol.
Yes- Im getting pumped for my spectreII as well.... Im getting sick of watching youtube videos on how quiet it is! Mine went pending on June11 and my GS5 .22 SBR went pending just a week behind it- so looking forward to a fun .22 toy while I also wait on my damn 9mm form4/1 to clear....

Just about time to start looking for some bulk CCI standard velocity ammo! (I have about a bazillion federal bulk packs, but i think they'll go supersonic in the rifles)...

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Just about time to start looking for some bulk CCI standard velocity ammo! (I have about a bazillion federal bulk packs, but i think they'll to supersonic in the rifles)...
This may be one of the few times that a bazillion isn't an exaggeration.:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
^LOL. I also have a lot of federal bulk pack, but from what I've *heard* we should be good with a <5" barrel staying subsonic. Whether or not it will be as quiet as standard velocity or close to it only time will tell, but I have a case of 5k standard velocity as well. BTW, I just got an email from sgammo.com saying that they would be getting more CCI standard velocity back in stock today... I think it was $260/5k.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the reason i went down to 4.5" is because i have several cases of federal bulk and blazer bulk....they don't go supersonic in my GSG1911 or 22/45....so I hope not in my ar now too!

but, just got news that my 9" alpha rail is OUT of stock......so now I have to figure out what to order in its place, and order it TODAY to make sure its' here before the 27th :-/

any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.