Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Anne Murray sucks.
1,014 Posts
Check the bore, check the crown. It might be hard to see what the bore's really like if it's full of cosmoline, but there are fewer and fewer of those around.
Most of what you're going to find anymore will be previously owned unless it's a Yugo m59/66 or one of those Type 56's that they found a supply of recently.

IMHO, Russian are best, Yugo's are #2, everything else is shootable.

Read up on slamfires. It's rare, but it happens, especially if you neglect to get all of the cosmo out of your bolt.

And whatever you do, don't let a pawn shop rope you into paying $400 for a Chinese one.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Yep there is nothing wrong with the Chinese SKS, I prefer it over a yugo as a shooter just because it has the chrome lined barrel and the yugo does not. That makes no difference if you clean your rifle though after shooting surplus ammo. Your looking at 300 for an OK price on a chinese or yugo. 425 for Russian refurbs, Good examples of russian sks's can bring upward of 550.

The only advice I can give you is find one you like that looks good. Yeah and I wouldn't pay the pawn shop more than 325 for a nice Chinese or Yugo SKS. It will be hard to find one at 200, not saying it can't be done, you will just be looking for a while!

Going to move this to the Military Inspired Section, as that is our section for surplus and C&R :). Thanks!
Let us know if you have any questions. The other guys pretty much covered what to look for.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
First, I like SKS rifles so don't take this as a vote against. But the best advice I can offer is don't buy an SKS if you really wanted an AK. Modding an SKS is a money pit and you'll never see a dime of it back when you sell the rifle.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
I fell in love with my Norinco while cleaning it the first time. Cleaned up my firing pin in a snap and shot it for the first time this past weekend. Had a blast. Would love another one.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
SKS is a great little rifle. I've had mine for probably 16 years now? A Chinese Norinco.

They're great left just as they are. There aren't many mods that you can make that will improve function, and nearly every mod will detract from value.

Ditto on what the above poster said. If you're looking at the SKS as a cheaper alternative to he AK that you can mod over time...save your money and buy an AK.

Always check the bore, especially on Yugo's. Many of them do not have chrome bores and Yugo ammo is corrosive.

Before shooting it, always disassemble and clean it. SKS rifles have a free floating firing pin, and if it gets stuck in position because of gunk or cosmoline, it can slamfire and go full auto. If you clean your rifle, this shouldn't be an issue.

I've shot the Yugo, Chinese, and Russian sks. I prefer the Chinese and Russian, because they're lighter. Yugo's feel about 2 lbs heavier to me. All of them tend to have a short LOP, so you may have to add a spacer or butt pad to get it up to a comfortable length for you. Most SKS will have a bayonet and cleaning rod under the barrel and a cleaning kit in the stock. Some folks removed their bayonets because they feared it made the rifle illegal, and some seem to have been imported without them. Dont pay the premium price for a rifle that's missing parts.

You should be able to find a nice Yugo for $200-250 if you shop around, and a Norinco for $250-325. I've seen Russians all over the place. Cheapest was $400, and I've seen them at $1100 too.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Yea don't buy one at all to hell with the commie junk buy American.
You are more than entitled to your opinions but he asked for help in something that he is interested in, please, if you have nothing positive, pass the thread by.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.