Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, school me on this. I was watching an episode of Doomsday Preppers and the subject of the show advised that you can get antibiotics from the local pet store. Supposedly, the stuff you put in fish tanks are the SAME antibiotics that you get from a pharmacist just under a different name.

True?

Anyone with the knowledge please let us know.

DS

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
I might get flamed here but dont care. The ammoxicillin for the tank is the very same stuff from CVS. I compared the two side by side. Same color, weight and action. It didnt kill me either. It saved me some money and a docs visit. I would not recommend it on a regular basis. But in the crunch I was in at the time, it worked out very well.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Partially true. I believe the fish brand fishmox is the same as amoxicillin and there's another one. They work exactly the same if you take the normally prescribed amount for humans. There is some debate on the quality control and cleanliness of the labs making it. Some people say they come from the same labs and some say no.

There are a few people on this forum that I know who don't have insurance but they have medical backgrounds. They self prescribe these to themselves and their kids and have had no issues. There are a few dog products as well that work the same.

In a situation where I had no insurance or no access to a dr I would eat them and not think twice.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might get flamed here but dont care. The ammoxicillin for the tank is the very same stuff from CVS. I compared the two side by side. Same color, weight and action. It didnt kill me either. It saved me some money and a docs visit. I would not recommend it on a regular basis. But in the crunch I was in at the time, it worked out very well.
Yea...that's the one the guy on Doomsday said was the same. I might get flamed now....but what the heck is ammoxicillin used for?? I'm allergec to penicillan...could I use ammoxicillan? Or are they of the same family of cillans?

DS

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
You can also get penicillin at the feed store for horses.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Yea...that's the one the guy on Doomsday said was the same. I might get flamed now....but what the heck is ammoxicillin used for?? I'm allergec to penicillan...could I use ammoxicillan? Or are they of the same family of cillans?

DS
That I could not tell ya. It did knock out a bad sinus infection on the right side of my nose/face. In 1998 the same infected area cost almost $370 from docs visit and tests to perscripts. In 2005 when I was caught with no insurance and damned near flat broke it showed up again. A friends wife is a pharmacist and that was some info she past on to me under the table. And damn if it didnt work for $12.75.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
Yes, a lot of the meds are the same. Some times the size is different than what you get from Doc. A lot of what we have on the shelf to Rx to dog/cats is a human drug. Doxy, Amoxi,Flagyl, Pred,... are all human drugs. Some drugs we use are animal only forms of human drugs- Clavamox is a lot like Augmentin but not 100%. And then some are animal only.
Dosing can be a lot different form animal vs. human- Benadryl is used a a higher level in dogs than humans, most human OTC pain meds are very bad for dog/cats...

If you are serious about drug info, get a PDR ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicians%27_Desk_Reference ) .

I am not one of those folks that say " Only a doctor can do that", but be smart and get solid info ( no just interweb experts ;joint ) before you take anything. And remember that even the safest meds can cause problems if used wrong or if you have an reaction to it.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Buy them because they are the same ingredients as the batch from CVS. I have a few patients with zero RX coverage and this is their only options. You will need to know the dosage of what you are taking. Cross check Webmd and a PDR.

I'm not a medical Md or nurse and I keep a few of these antibiotics in my preps.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Self prescribing is a bad idea. Most of your "sinus infections" are viral anyways and antibiotics do nothing to help. Taking them when not needed is a great way to reduce their effectiveness in the long run. Good to know for emergency situations but doesn't mean you should take because you have the sniffles.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just order from mexico or canada and have it shipped here.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Check on Ebay. I have made several purchases from seller "e -retail -shops"......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.