Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they still have khakis as part of the uniform? I'm not referring to the tan tropical summer uniform but real khakis; the kind you had to have starched.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Man you must be old.

I went in December of '91 and no one that was under the rank of gunny had even heard of khakis.

We had the khaki shirts with rank on the sleeve but those were worn as part of the greens uniform.

Third image from the left. There was also a short sleeve version worn without the coat and tie but with the same pants.

Footwear Suit trousers Ballistic vest Military uniform Squad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in from Jan 60 to July 64. We wore khaki shirts and trousers as an optional uniform to summer service As. Yes, chdamn I am old and hoping to get older. I guess khakis went out about the time the garand went out.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chdamn, that second picture I don't think is a Marine. The belt buckle isn't right and he's not wearing a tie clasp.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I was in from Jan 60 to July 64. We wore khaki shirts and trousers as an optional uniform to summer service As. Yes, chdamn I am old and hoping to get older. I guess khakis went out about the time the garand went out.
But he's a hell of a good guy!

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Chdamn, that second picture I don't think is a Marine. The belt buckle isn't right and he's not wearing a tie clasp.
Hmmmmm, I don't know. On further examination it does resemble the "pinks" of the army.

But it has marine corp insignia. The belt is similar to the greens belt but you're right as I seem to remember hearing that marines wore the Sam brown belts with the khakis.

Material property Natural material Beige Jewellery Strap

Attachments

·
Green Iron Addict
1,441 Posts
They did go through some odd phases, and in this case, Supply may simply not have caught up with that Marine, or it was a test photo to see if higher liked them without the belt. I've seen some very odd mix and match uniform combos looking into WWII/Korea reenacting.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Bud, where did you serve? My old man was in from 64 to 68 and then back with Air America from 69 to 73.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Hmmmmm, I don't know. On further examination it does resemble the "pinks" of the army.

But it has marine corp insignia. The belt is similar to the greens belt but you're right as I seem to remember hearing that marines wore the Sam brown belts with the khakis.

View attachment 32476
1940's Army Khaki (the pockets do not come to a point in the middle) none of my grandfathers army uniforms I have seen have pockets like that. The pocket flaps are all straight on his army uniforms (enlisted and officer, he took a commission during the war)
This is my grandfather in Khaki

·
Registered
531 Posts
the Marines done away with the khakis in 1976 and replaced them with light weight Apha greens and called them summers greens

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I got some of the last 100% wool Alpha's... In '89.. 1 set of wool and 1 set of poly/gabardine. I personally LOVED the wool..it looked much better and was still wearing my boot camp set up until 2003 or so. I even stood a few inspections with it then and I stood out like a sore thumb as the "one guy" with wool in a see of gabardines!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.