Frmr0317 strikes again. | Carolina Shooters Club

Frmr0317 strikes again.

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Chdamn, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Right before my grandfather died he gave me an old .22, break action, single shot. He used to tell me grand stories such as the time he shot a hawk out of the sky with this rifle. I ate it up at the time. Now that I'm older I realize he might as well have said he invented the question mark.

My mother does tell the story of subsistent hunting doves out of trees with this rifle. She accidentally shot the beak off of one and it upset her so much that she never hunted again.

Anyways, the rifle was a rusted hunk and non functioning when he gave it to me about 15 years ago. I sat it in a closet intending to find out more about it and trying to fix it up.

About 10 years ago I found out it was a C J Hamilton & Son rifle. It was made in the 40's and 50's. It's sometimes called a "soap" gun because soap salesman used to give them away on big orders. If it was in perfect, almost new condition it was worth a whopping $200. Perfect for me because I wanted to fix it up not sell it.

So I stripped the wood, stripped the metal and cold blued it. Wow, talk about hideous. So I stripped the metal again and put everything in a box.

When frmr0317 cerakoted the browning barrels in midnight blue we had some leftover paint. So when I asked him to repaint the mag caps blue I asked him to paint this as well.

So he jumped on it, degreased, sanded and painted it on Saturday while I sanded, stained and oiled the stock. He did a wonderful job and although I don't think I will ever get it completely functional, at least it will now be preserved for future generations. I can't wait to tell my son how his great granddad shot a hawk out of the sky with this (I'll tell him I invented the question mark).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351549493.205866.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351549506.451148.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351549523.201250.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. DirtySCREW

DirtySCREW Member

good lookin rifle!

DS

3. Hamman

Hamman Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Great looking rifle.

4. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

The details of your life are (not) quite inconsequential.

Nice AP/Dr. E reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

6. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Awesome work guys...but I am pretty shocked...I think that is the most Chdamn has ever typed without referencing his junk.

7. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved his testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, he suggests you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Chdamn

Just the usual childhood.....really.

9. Miss Lily

Miss Lily Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Great work guys! That is on purty rifle.

10. Frmr0317

Frmr0317 U. S. Military Club Subscribed

It goes "pretty standard... really". Idiot.

11. Chdamn

Suck it.

12. Chdamn

Thank you. I wish it would fire but oh well.

13. tanstaafl72555

tanstaafl72555 Permanently Banned Lifetime Member

That is a beautiful job, and the rifle is quite pretty now. Your son, or grandson, will have a real treasure on his hands.

You get to where I am in life and these things start to become more concrete and less abstract, and the thought of passing down yourself becomes just a meaningful as the memories of your grandfather passing it to you.

Congrats. Great job.

14. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

Why won't it fire??

15. Chdamn

I'll try and post a pic tonight. Basically the hinged extractor should also form the bottom of the chamber (where the cartridge seats).

The lip is worn down. It doesn't catch enough to extract which means the cartridge is also seated too deep. The firing pin won't reach it.

16. Chdamn

OK, a little more information here and a request for knowledge.

After some more research this morning, it appears that this rifle was chambered for 22 short and 22 long. It was not chambered for 22 LR. (I did not know this and I was trying it out with a 22 LR round when I couldn't get it to fire).

I know the 22 long was originally BP and the 22 LR produces higher pressure (not something I was too concerned with in a 22 IE I don't think the barrel will explode) but what other difference is there?

I have never messed with 22 long before. From the pictures I was looking at on the internet this morning, it appears that the rim may be just a fraction thicker on the long. Could this be why it won't fire the 22 LR? Or because the 22 long was BP is it easier to fire? and the pin just doesn't have enough energy to set off the 22 LR?

17. frozenmusic

frozenmusic Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have some 22 Long and will measure it for you tonight, but I don't think there is any difference. Maybe the firing pin is just worn and has a weak spring. I'll bring you some 22 long this weekend If you'd like.

18. Chdamn

Cool, I'm going to give it a try with some short tonight at frmr's house too. May not make a difference but I figured it was worth a try. The extractor almost catches the rim on the LR. If the short or long is any thicker or wider at all, even a minute amount, it may be enough.

19. Dorton

Dorton ... Club Subscribed

Cool little rifle, and great background story.

20. frozenmusic

frozenmusic Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I remember having trouble with an old 22 marlin semi-auto. The problem was resolved with CCI blazer and the difference was thickness and shape of the rim. Remington and federal were too thin and rounded.

21. Daisy Duster

Daisy Duster Gun Control Supporter Club Subscribed

Everything looks good on the rifle except that bright shiny trigger guard screw or is that another pimp tag?

22. Chdamn

Good eye. That was for you.

No that will be painted black or replaced. Actually I looked at a few places for black slot screws. All 4 in the stock are the same SS Philips.

I'll either paint them black or replace them with black slot screws when I find them.

23. Daisy Duster

Daisy Duster Gun Control Supporter Club Subscribed

Good move, before long you be a collector snob.