Front sights for the AK-47 | Carolina Shooters Club

Front sights for the AK-47

Discussion in 'AK47' started by wetdog1911, Nov 28, 2014.

1. wetdog1911

wetdog1911 Registered Member

I have a KNS Duplex Crosshair Reticle on my Bulgi SLR-95. Got added when I was doing the compliance thing and up-grading. Have a MOJO rear sight. Got both 10+ years ago.

Looks really cool and works great on targets with a white background, but a woods walk quickly brought up the drawbacks. It's useless against most backgrounds that don't contrast the fine crosshairs.

Anyway, was wondering what AK shooters liked for realistic shooting, not shooting ranges?

Standard front sights? A different post shape? KNS offers 8 or so, only the crosshair was available when I bought. Something with Tritium like the Kensight, or Fiber Optic, or the colored plastic posts?

Don't need anything fancy, just something I can actually see in the real world.

Thanks!

Wet

2. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

I like to put a dab of paint on the standard sight. a $3 bottle of safety orange nail polish does the trick.

3. myst173

myst173 Member

Just standard sights. If you're setting up for lowlight mepro makes a set of tritium sights for the ak that are pretty nice. Or go with a Yugo with the flip up night sights.. they have 2 styles, one painted, and one with tritium drums. See a lot of people swapping them onto npaps and the like now.

4. wetdog1911

Sounds like the best plan!

Is that safety orange nail polish a regular nail polish, or something from a sporting goods store? Doesn't matter, I'll start keeping an eye out.

Thanks!

Wet

5. Tarowah

Tarowah Member

I do not own what I am about to suggest but have you looked at the XS sights for the AK? I am not a fan of the shallow V on their rear sights but you cant miss the massive white outline on the front sight.

6. auslander

auslander Registered Member

If you have a hobby lobby nearby or a hobby shop Testors makes a flourescent Orange that works. Get that and a bottle of FLAT white paint. put the white down and let that dry then a few coats of the orange. Did that on my new A... um one of my rifles....:oops:

wetdog1911 likes this.
  7. wetdog1911

There's a Hobby Lobby I go by every few months, so I'm set there. Thanks!

Now, I just need to find the original front sight. LOL It's in the tube that the KNS sight came in and I've seen it in the last several months. So, I know it's somewhere, just can't remember where I saw it.

I'm debating painting the cross hair KNS sight, or, just 'paying it forward' to someone who could use it. But, who target shoots with an AK? The target would have to be white, or a very light color.

IDK, it seemed like a good idea when I bought it.

Wet

8. auslander

auslander Registered Member

Be sure to put down a coat or two of the white before the orange is VERY thin and will not cover the darker color at all. Also degrease the part too really well before doing anything.

wetdog1911 likes this.
  9. pikepole20

pikepole20 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have installed a meprolight tritium front sight. It screws right in the front sight post. On the rear I have installed a set of mojo sights. It works fine with a combination of bright front sight and a peep sight on the rear. Just my two cents worth.

10. paragain

paragain Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

I have just bought my first AK and I must say these are the WORST sights I have ever looked over. It is no wonder that the countries that use this platform are in the tank! Jesus they are impossable to see and with the tangent rear sight it must be assumed you have lots of time to adjust the thing. Biggest disappointment in the AK is the sight system!

11. pikepole20

pikepole20 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I just wish rear sight notch was bigger. That is why I went with a peep on the rear. A much better setup.

12. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

Y'all are drama queens, just go shoot the thing.

13. netbrad

netbrad Registered Member

14. wetdog1911

Yeah, the MOJO rear sight made a world of difference, no matter the front sight.

Found some Hi Vis colured front sights and am going to give those a try in the woods. We'll see.

Wet