Frying Pan Tower | Carolina Shooters Club

Frying Pan Tower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Qball50, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I started a thread about this a few years ago back on CSF. I think this would be a blast to go visit with a bunch of guys. Because of one rule they have however, I won't go unless they change it. They will only allow you to go up on top to the helipad either at sunrise or sunset. Heck, that's the only reason I would want to go out to this tower, to stay up top all day long on the helipad, and even sleep up there. Grill out up there, or whatever. You can even take your shotgun and shoot clays, but what's the point if you can't do it up top? They make you sign a release form, a "Hold Harmless" clause, releasing the owners and crew members from any and all liability. So why not let the paying customers stay up top if they want to? The cost isn't too bad if you can provide your own transportation out to the tower. The helicopter ride, for obvious reasons, is expensive. But chartering a fishing boat and splitting the cost isn't that bad. I've been following their progress on their site.

Anyway, you can check it out here: http://www.fptower.com/

2. MuShu Gordon

MuShu Gordon Vendor : Guardian Dragon Club Subscribed

I officially want to build one now. Is that technically in international waters?

3. Qball50

Yep. It's 34 miles out in the Atlantic from Southport.

4. Garyshome

Garyshome Hall of Shame

Allrightythen.

5. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

That place is way cool. I just skimmed the whole website. I saw "hot showers" mentioned once, "toilets" mentioned zero, and pictures of everything, but a bathroom.

Wonder what the 'loo situation is there?

6. SPM

SPM Permanently Banned Lifetime Member

Lots of ocean out there....dilution is the solution?

7. 612

612 Guest

I have done a bit of spear fishing at that tower.
    Saw my first and only bull shark there.
    The $ they want for what you get is stuuupppiddd.

8. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

Wonder how they would feel about me bring about 6 tanks to dive with there over the weekend? That's a relatively cheap 6 tank dive. Night dive etc....... I have (access to) a boat that could easily get me and another couple there and back with 24 tanks......

9. Qball50

I wouldn't see why they'd mind a bit. From what I hear, it is a great diving location and people come from all over to dive there. On another note, based on your username, I always assumed until a month or so ago that you were a skydiver, not a scuba diver. I probably made a few comments in some threads that really looked stupid from your point of view and you were probably wondering what I was talking about.[​IMG]

10. Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Pack it in and pack it out or do not unpack it is what they go by........

Now go take a shit in a gal ziplock and pack that out......

11. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

I'm actually both, so I get it either way. I have over 2,000 skydives and about 500 SCUBA dives. I have stopped counting both though many years ago. Since my daughter was born (2 years ago) I stopped skydiving (so did the wife). Strange how a child makes you more "risk adverse" for some reason.....

12. Qball50

Agreed. However, if they'd relax the rules, I'd pay good money to go out there and would probably donate some materials and maybe some really rare time I have to volunteer some labor. I just can't see paying that kind of money to sit inside or outside on the main level with no panoramic view, when I know that helipad is right up there on top with the light tower. You may as well just get a motel room with a balcony at the beach. I'll take it a little further and say that if they are not careful, they may not get many paying visitors to the tower with those rules in place. The whole purpose of allowing people to stay on or in the tower is to generate money to fund the restoration. Most people are attracted to that place because of the helipad, not the bedrooms below.

13. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

For $500 a night for a twin bed? er...

14. Qball50

Gotcha. Good deal. I briefly did a few static line jumps in '98. My life insurance company got wind of it somehow and sent me a notice of a possible huge rate increase. I've got a fairly large insurance policy. Plus the airport where the jump zone was located had some kind of insurance issue and they stopped allowing dives there. So it was really fun while it lasted.

15. jcs3876

jcs3876 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It's actually $500 for 1 person 3 days 2 nights

16. Qball50

Without getting into any disgusting detail like I did last night in the Minefield, I'd just hop up on the railing and let her fly. lol!!

17. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

So 34 miles off the coast... No land in sight... Ok fine... But on the top of a big metal surface with the sun beating down and also reflecting up off the ocean... Yea, have fun with severe sun burn and heat stroke. Thanks but I will go find the AC.

18. Qball50

Come on mekender, a little sunscreen and a hefty supply of bottled water, all is good. Throw in a few bikini clad babes, then all is great![​IMG]

19. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Wonder what the reason is for no roof access. Surely it can't be a concern for your skin's well-being. Is it a fall concern? Also, how would they know???

20. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Liability... They told you not to do it. If you were underwriting their insurance you'd probably insist they say the same thing ;)

21. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

But liability for what? The drop? I thought it had nets around the heli-pad/roof? And if it's ok for sunrise and sunset, why not the middle of the day? Does hot sun make people want to jump off a roof?

22. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Member

23. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

Someone stayed out at the tower during the hurricane, and not "on duty" if I understand correctly since it is now privately owned, was on top of the tower in the hurricane, and shooting video.

I am sure there are choice words for this, I just don't know what they are. Holy crap.

24. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

"Is you is? Or is you ain't, a dummy?" Comes to mind

25. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

26. Qball50

Yep. That's him. For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, I'll briefly explain. I knew about this tower since 1996 or so. A few years ago, the Feds put it up for auction. This guy, Richard Neal, decided to bid on it. Another bidder, some company, posted a bid of somewhere in the neighborhood of $800,000.00 or more. Mr. Neal posted his bid at a modest $75,000.00. They were the only two bidders. The company lost the bid because they didn't put down the required deposit if my memory is correct. So Mr. Neal acquired this 5000 square foot house sitting on top of an oil rig 34 miles out in the Atlantic, with a helipad and a light tower on top, for $75,000.00. Before the government put it up for bid, they did a study with structural engineers to make sure it was still safe. The study concluded that it was still structurally sound and safe. The rental fees he charges are to fund the slow restoration project.

I still say, if he would relax the rules a bit, he would get more people to rent and donate.