Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Have a friend that has been asking me about Galil rifles. I know little to nothing about them... just what I've read.
He WANTS one and has been asking me about receivers and parts kits... not sure if he wants 5.56 or .308, he has been talking about both.
Anyone here ever messed with them?? Know anything about them?? Best place to buy parts? Best outfits to deal with............ whatever you can tell me or recommend.

Thanks!!

G

·
Just beware the Century Golani, for they are variable as heck in function and build quality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
CAI Galils with GLN Serial Numbers are good to go. CAI Galils with GAL Serial numbers generally have soft receivers. Best source for mags I have found is Palmetto State Armory. They will run like an AK if you keep good ammo in them and they are acceptably accurate. Maybe 2.5-3 MOA from a bench. I enjoyed mine and will be buying an actual IMI one if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have a memory of back in 2007 or 2008 the 8th Shotgun News Annual reprinted a 2 part article on building a Galil from a kit. Would that be of any use to your friend.

I have always found them a very desirable battle rifle, but have not been able to connect with one for various reasons.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I've always wanted a Galil myself, however, I just haven't been able to justify the price of an original IMI, nor the uncertainty of buying a Century build. The Century Galil builds are hit and miss, as already mentioned. The early ones used a milled receiver built by Ohio Ordnance Works, and on many the heat treating was done incorrectly, which caused the locking lugs to peen over after a few hundred rounds, causing the bolt gap to grow exponentially. They improved by going with a cast receiver made by Caspian, but I'm still wary considering it's a Century build.

However, in the end, it's really just a .223/5.56 caliber AK, with just a few more frills as opposed to a standard AK.(different receiver, different safety, sights, etc) And, it's heavy for what it is. IMHO, it can't do anything a decent quality AR can't for around the same money, and magazines and accessories are much cheaper and easier to find. Of course, you can argue the reliability will be better than an AR, because it's an AK design, but if it's a Century build, I don't think you can use that argument, just too many factors to consider, and if it's an IMI, you could afford to buy 3 or so AR's for what one would cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.