Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I've always wanted a Galil myself, however, I just haven't been able to justify the price of an original IMI, nor the uncertainty of buying a Century build. The Century Galil builds are hit and miss, as already mentioned. The early ones used a milled receiver built by Ohio Ordnance Works, and on many the heat treating was done incorrectly, which caused the locking lugs to peen over after a few hundred rounds, causing the bolt gap to grow exponentially. They improved by going with a cast receiver made by Caspian, but I'm still wary considering it's a Century build.

However, in the end, it's really just a .223/5.56 caliber AK, with just a few more frills as opposed to a standard AK.(different receiver, different safety, sights, etc) And, it's heavy for what it is. IMHO, it can't do anything a decent quality AR can't for around the same money, and magazines and accessories are much cheaper and easier to find. Of course, you can argue the reliability will be better than an AR, because it's an AK design, but if it's a Century build, I don't think you can use that argument, just too many factors to consider, and if it's an IMI, you could afford to buy 3 or so AR's for what one would cost.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.