Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked a 100lbd tank the gas log set in my house. They have never been used since the house was built in 2002. I’ve managed to get the pilot going but when I turn the switch on I cannot get the main flame to come on. There are two switches on the wall; one I assume turns the main flame on the other turns on the blower. There is a plug under the unit that the blower plugs into, which does have power on and off depending on the wall switch. What am I missing here? They are propane.

·
Banned
5,862 Posts
The part that feeds the pilot and the main flame in my parents logs after sitting for awhile are known to get a cobweb or such in it and he has to take them apart and give everything a blowout with the air compressor. Not much help probably but it's something to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes pilot stays lit. There is a terminal strip on the font of the controls Ive put a meter on the terminal strip but do not see any voltage. Doesnt mean Im checking in the correct spot though.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
Does it have a full glass enclosure on the front? If so, check around the bottom for a safety disconnect switch. It's there to keep it from running with the glass off. Sometimes the contact can get bent, giving it a false indication that it's open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it have a full glass enclosure on the front? If so, check around the bottom for a safety disconnect switch. It's there to keep it from running with the glass off. Sometimes the contact can get bent, giving it a false indication that it's open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
yes it does Ill check.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After the pilot is lit, make sure the knob is in the “on” position.
Tighten the wires on the gas valve going to the wall switch.
Make sure there is not another switch or a remote control. If enclosed look under it
Make sure the pilot is strong. If you had to hold the button down a long time before the pilot would stay
lit, you may need to clean the pilot. It gets hot enough to hole open the safety but not enough to bring on the main burner.
Logs are usually very simple to work on, however you are dealing with millivolts on the control so the slightest corrosion or loose connection will cause a problem.
I'm sure there is some other things but its hard to give good advice without seeing them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im leaning towards weak pilot as well. Hot enough for the thermocouple to pick up heat and keep the pilot on, but not quite hot enough to open main fuel valve.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no I dont see one, It doesnt vent up a chimney per say, it vents directly out the back of the unit. Also, could it be a regulator issue, even though its brand new out of the box. Its a two stage regulator, first stage regulates bottle pressure down to 10psi, second stage knocks it down to 11"wc, which seems pretty low to me.

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
where does it get power from ? some are hooked up to 115v. household current and then use a transformer ( down to low voltage) others use like 3 AA batteries mounted in a black plastic box. if your pilot is good and strong i doubt its a gas problem.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
where does it get power from ? some are hooked up to 115v. household current and then use a transformer ( down to low voltage) others use like 3 AA batteries mounted in a black plastic box. if your pilot is good and strong i doubt its a gas problem.
this is whats confusing me. there is an outlet under neath that the blower plugs into. Then there is a small terminal strip that has the wall switch, that has not power in it, wired to it, and then a set of wires which I assume is the thermocouple at the pilot. I do not see where there is any power that energizes the main fuel valve. Unable to locate a manual on line or the manufactureres website. The unit has never operated before, was installed when the house was built.

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
i have seen ones where the blower was 115 volt , but the burner was battery powered , allowing it to work when the power is out. My moms wouldn't light this year and i found the battery box was velcro'd on the back side of the burner , almost didnt see it. changed the 3 AA batteries and all is fine.

it has to have some kind of voltage to work the gas valve ( 24v ac , DC voltage ( from batteries) or millivolts from thermocouple. since it's wired through a switch on the wall i'm betting one of the first two.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I worked with commercial gas appliances, natural gas fueled. Most of the problems I encountered were regulator problems.

Anyhoo, I got out the directions for the logs I have and it says:

Burner does not light after pilot is lit.
A- Burner orifice clogged.
B- Burner orifice diameter is too small. My take on this-possible mixup of natural gas and propane orifices.
C- Inlet gas pressure is too low.

Have you checked the gas pressure with a manometer to be sure it is 11" WC?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.