Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watching the news and thinking about preps. So what do you think about storing gas? Can you do it safely? Is there a time limit, best practice, etc? Or is that a bad idea?

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Just watching the news and thinking about preps. So what do you think about storing gas? Can you do it safely? Is there a time limit, best practice, etc? Or is that a bad idea?
You can't do it well. There is stuff like sta bil to keep it for a bit longer but it is very hygroscopic (it likes water). Kerosene keeps real well, and I understand that a diesel motor will run on it with very few mods, but I am not a diesel mechanic.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Getting at the stability issue, you could keep some in storage, but use and refresh that storage every X weeks/months.

shooter, I was wondering the same thing, as I suspect lots of people are. I bet we'll see some homes/garages turned into infernos over the next 12 months from people accidentally touching off stored gasoline.

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Todays gas will not last much longer than 4 months. Also during that time it is sucking moister out of the air. So It will be crap for a vehicle. Maybe good to start a fire but thats about it.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
I was talking with a friend who used to work for Pump and Tank in Greensboro the other night. We were discussing ethanol and he said that it starts to separate from the gasoline after 90 (I think, it may have been 60, I'll check with him) days. If there is the slightest bit of water in the gasoline he said the stuff with look like milk and it will not go back into suspension. And engines hate the stuff.

There are places that still have non-ethanol gasoline if you can find them and that would be the way to go for storing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pri-g is another fuel stabilizer; you can store it up to a year with it IIRC. Key to avoiding the water issue is to store container as full as possible. tightly sealed with minimal air in container will limit water absorption. You can add a pint per gallon of alcohol if you have water issues; the alcohol and water will bind; the result will mix with the gas.

Best thing to do is to store x amount and periodically put it in the car / mower etc and use it up; refill cans, treat, and store again. Repeat as needed.

CB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I keep 10-15 gallons of non-ethonal gas w/stabil on hand about all the time. I rotate it out about 6-9 months and have had no problems with it running cars, saws, mowers, etc. I keep some diesel and kerosene also, I have a diesel truck and have been told that you can run kerosene in it (supposed to smoke like crazy) but I just haven't tried it yet.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Kerosene is diesel w/o oil in it. Have run out occasionally and put kero in. I just added a quart of oil per five gallons to protect pump/injectors. In frigid conditions truckers run kero. Keeping gasoline in a constant low temp is key to a longer "shelf life". Some have it sitting in a hole in the ground with insulation over to keep the temp fairly steady. We keep a bit in an above ground tank but add/use regularly. A clear bottomed filter w/petcock(old military style) will take care of any water if you use an above ground supply. For any stored just do not pour out that last bit--especially into small engines as it may have accumulated moisture. Plain rubbing alcohol will help burn watered gasoline with no problems. Remember, gasoline is lighter than water and will float on top--never completely pour containers of gas into tanks and do not invert the "cans" when pouring. Am always amazed at the crap/trash/moisture found in the bottom of cans.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I keep 20 gallons rotated down in detached shed.....it is a bit of a pain to keep rotated and sometimes I'm good doing it... other times I lapse with it. I keep the cans in order of age from left to right...so I'll just grab one or two 5 gallon cans at or near expiration and dump them in the car and top off with fresh fuel then refill the cans...add Stabil and then they get back in line.....might not be the best option for the vehicle but haven't noticed problems and it's worth it for me to have the fuel if and when something goes down......Never thought about not emptying the entire container to account for water/moisture but definately will now.....good tip....

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
There is product called Star-tron. I have seen it at NAPA and some other locations. You can google it and learn a little more about it. This is a good prouct for storage. At my place of work we have used it to good effect, however, nothing keeps gasoline indefinetly from what I understand. One thing that helps with storage is to keep the container full, sealed up air tight and protected from temperature change as much as possible.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
I just filled my three 5g cans yesterday. I should pick up some sta-bil today.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
sealed up air tight
That is the biggest thing when talking about fuel storage. If you don't see your containers sucking in the side or bulging out the sides, it is passing vapors and moisture in and out.
Now, you may not be able to see it on something like a 55 gal steel drum, but for 5 gal cans, unless it is a very thick walled .mil can, you will.
Pri-g and Star-ton are the better additives, getting non-ethanol fuel is best, but keeping it from gassing in and out is a must.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.