Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've carried a handgun on and off now for 17 years. Open carrying before concealed carry was legal in NC. Concealed (mostly) since. I've been through license checks. Had an officer stop to check on me when my truck broke down. Stuff like that. Never got a second glance from them when I told them I was carrying. I'd never had an "official" interaction with the police until 1/13/12 though.

So, I was on a trip for work to Kannapolis that morning. I had in the car with me my boss (passenger seat) and my wife (back seat, we work for the same company and have the same boss). I had tossed my Ruger SR9c in my Maxpedition Remora that morning and put it in the trunk of our Chrysler Pacifica. I wasn't carrying on my person as the place we were going was posted and technically I'm not supposed to be carrying while working, though my company doesn't give a crap what I have in my car. And my boss knows my wife and I carry and usually have something in our vehicles. It just so happened that my wife's "car" gun was in the safe at home. She'd made a trip to my son's school the day before and in order to be legal....... It hadn't been returned to the car.

SO..........we're cruising along through Davidson County on I-85 and I glance up and see a State Patrol vehicle in the median. I glance down and see my spedometer at around 85. Oopsie........I backed off the gas and looked in the rear view mirror, thinking to myself, "If he moves I'm in trouble". He moved. "OK maybe it's not me he clocked........Oh wait he's pulling in behind me........yep there's the blue light." I tell my boss and my wife that we're being pulled over. My wife says, "What do you mean we, you're driving" (and laughed).

So the officer approaches the passenger side window and asks is there a reason I was speeding. I told him I wasn't aware that I was. And I wasn't, really. My wife's car rides much smoother than my truck and I have a tendency to let it get away from me if I'm not careful. He asks for my license and registration which I give him and as I'm trying to get my permit out of my wallet to tell him about the gun and permit situation he says "I'm going to write you a citation" and turns and walks away. I called, "Officer" to get his attention and my boss says "Sir!" out the window loudly, but we're on the side of 85 and he had on the winter hat with ear flaps so he just couldn't hear us. When he got back to the car and turned to where he could see us I was waving my hand at him out the window. He came back up to the passenger side window and told him that I was sorry, but I was trying to get my permit out of my wallet as he walked away and that I needed to notify him. He asked did I have it on me and I said, "No it's in the trunk in a bag".

He said OK and went on back to his car. Didn't ask to secure it or anything. Keep in mind this was in a Pacifica so the trunk is technically accessible from the passenger compartment. I suppose technically he probably needed to see my wife's permit more than mine since she was closer to the gun than me. But, in the end, he returned to the window with a ticket and asked me to slow it down a bit. He was polite, professional and overall it was a pleasant experience as far as getting a ticket goes. I was probably only 5 minutes on the side of the road.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wrote me for 84 which may have been the actual radar reading, or may have been a break to get it below 15 over. Not sure. Either way, I haven't had a ticket in almost 20 years and I've already lined up an attorney. He'll get it reduced to improper equipment and I'll spend a couple hundred bucks for the privilege.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
So far I have had nothing but pleasant experiences when notifying and mine is always on my hip except when I am in the shower or in the bed (and right this second since I took it off at Elijah's house last night and left it there like a dumbass).

Last week I was on the phone at a stoplight and turned right on red (apparently there was a new sign saying this was a no no). Got pulled, immediately notified the officer, and was asked the usual where you headed and do you know why etc questions. I told him I hadn't seen the sign and it must be new and that I was heading to the barbershop up the road. He told me to say hello to Mr. Lee (the proprietor) for him and told me to have a nice day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that is about the norm. Unless you look like trouble or your doing something to worry them, they don't mind when you tell them you have a gun and ccw. I have been to a handful of license checks and every time i tell them i have a ccw and a gun and they say "ok, cool, whatever" The only one that questioned my was the week of Christmas on Silas Creek Pkw by the Highway Patrol office. I hand him my license and my ccw and tell him im carrying. He says "What ya got on ya son?" I reply "My Desert Eagle .50ae" He says "Where in the hell do you hide that thing?!?" I reply "In between the seat and console" to which he concludes "cool, i don't blame ya now a days, have a good night!"

·
All bleeding stops eventually
22,797 Posts
I got pulled over on my bike for speeding (53 in 35, but the ticket read 49) in October on my way back from an afternoon of shooting. My motorcycle is a big loud nasty flat black rat-rod, and I had 3 boxes of WWB .9mm in the left saddlebag, and my regular range bag stuffed into the other one. I had a Glock 19 on my hip under my jacket, and my pocket knife in my jeans. This is my standard everyday kit below. We were very polite to each other, I told him what I was carrying, and he asked me to show him where they were. Strangely enough he said he wanted to secure my knife, so I let him take it out of my pocket.

He went back to his car and wrote me the ticket.

We ended up talking about knives and local shooting ranges for almost 15 minutes before his radio dinged him with something. Turned out the guy grew up about 50 miles from where I did "up north" but in another state, and we had a lot to joke around about.

Gratuitous gun/knife pic, for reference.

·
Banned
550 Posts
He wrote me for 84 which may have been the actual radar reading, or may have been a break to get it below 15 over. Not sure. Either way, I haven't had a ticket in almost 20 years and I've already lined up an attorney. He'll get it reduced to improper equipment and I'll spend a couple hundred bucks for the privilege.
17 miles over is IE unless the DA is feeling good that day, if not they will try dropping it to a reduced speed violation: 2 points on your license but no insurance points. Beyond that you've still got a prayer for judgment but I'd only recommend that in dire circumstances as it'll make the infraction go away but you only get to pull that card once every three years.

I've the same problem with my wife's Honda. Rides at 80 like my Hyundai does at 55. It's a good thing you informed the dimwit of your situation as he could've cited you later for not disclosing your carry status.

I got yanked a week ago for a bad brake light. The Trooper was a good guy about it and said he wanted to inform me that he noticed it would light up then not light up. Guess he was just rolling behind me in traffic? I informed him right away to my carrying that night and when I asked if he would mind if I stepped out of the vehicle and take a look he was more than amiable and never asked me to unholster my weapon. After jingling the bulb a bit it turned on. After a quick convo over my XD-m .40 he sent me on my way. No ticket or warning issued.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been carrying for about a year now. So far no interaction with any cops. I did shock the hell out of a few friends during a poker game. It was down to me and one other guy and someone said (knowing I'm a gun guy), "Dan will probably just pull out a gun and shoot us for the winnings anyway." I smiled and said, "Nah, only 8 rounds and there's 9 people here..." We then proceeded to talk about guns for the next hour.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I have been carrying in some form or fashion for 12+ years and I have never had a bad encounter with any law enforcement officer. In fact, I have probably gotten out of some tickets that I shouldn't have due to having a firearm and informing the officer.

Case in point: I was pulled in a speed trap in Raleigh for doing 72 in a 65. Officer approached and I handed him my license and told him about the Kimber in my glove box (before I got my CCW and when it was considered okay to have it locked in the glove box). He jumped into the passenger seat, pulled it out and proceeded to bs with me for 15 or so minutes about different handguns. As he exited the vehicle, he said that he was supposed to write me a ticket but was going to let me go for being a "fellow enthusiast".

On the rare I do get pulled, I inform the officer right away about the location of my firearm and all I get is a "Thanks for telling me". Maybe I am just lucky and get pulled by officers with more time on the job but every encounter has been non-stressful for me.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I used to drive muscle cars and got a lot of speeding tickets. It's amazing what making half your former income and driving clunkers does for your driving record! Before I was so lucky however I was pulled oh maybe 4-5 times while carrying. I'm convinced the fact that I was carrying and acted polite and professional toward the officer got me out of a ticket at least a couple of times.

Do you really need to inform if the gun is in the trunk? That's not anything your CCW permit covers. I'm not sure it's necessary. I'd like to know however if that's the case.

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you really need to inform if the gun is in the trunk? That's not anything your CCW permit covers. I'm not sure it's necessary. I'd like to know however if that's the case.
I maybe didn't, but given that it's a stationwagon type vehicle it's not really a trunk and my wife was sitting in the backseat within reach of the gun. That's why I was thinking that technically he probably needed to see her permit instead of mine.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Gottcha. I probably would have too just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
My all time favorite was years ago when my brother and I were buying a couple of evil assault rifles from an Apex cop who was also a FFL. I asked him if the cruiser out front of his townhouse was his. When he said it was I told him that both of us were permit holders and both were carrying. He replied that he didn't care, he was faster than both of us. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
My youngest son is a cop and I watched from the front passenger seat while he dealt with a cop who pulled him over. Nic, our son, was visiting from his home state and was speeding when he pasted a deputy that was running radar. When the cop walked to the window, he immediately informed him that he was an off-duty officer and was armed. The deputy asked to see his police identification and then asked him to slow it down. Yeah, I know, one cop to another cop (no ticket), but the point I'm trying to make is, that of Nic immediately informing the other officer that he was armed. I asked him about it later and he said, it's spotting a weapon that you did not know about that gets your adreneline flowing, not the one that some one has told you about. Bad guys don't tell you their armed.

Howdy Timor

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
. I asked him about it later and he said, it's spotting a weapon that you did not know about that gets your adreneline flowing, not the one that some one has told you about. Bad guys don't tell you their armed.
This has been my finding too. I am pretty sure if you're carrying a good guy card (CCW and/or Police ID) they can relax a bit, as long as you're otherwise behaving like a lady/gentleman. I haven't been "pulled over" but have been around an accident (two, actually) where I was armed and it was a non-issue after I notified them.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My all time favorite was years ago when my brother and I were buying a couple of evil assault rifles from an Apex cop who was also a FFL. I asked him if the cruiser out front of his townhouse was his. When he said it was I told him that both of us were permit holders and both were carrying. He replied that he didn't care, he was faster than both of us. LOL
Nice

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have only had one experience, that was a license check. I was just leaving the range where I had finished an IDPA match. My range bag was in the back seat directly behind me. I had my carry piece on the passenger seat covered by a newspaper. When the officer approached the window, with both hands on the steering wheel I informed him I had a concealed handgun in the seat under the newspaper and I had my CCW. He told me to go ahead and retreive my license. He then told me to have a nice day. Pleasent experience.

JROCK1

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
The only thing out of the ordinary was being disarmed at an accident investigation. I intended on locking it in the truck, but the NCHP got there really quick. He disarmed me, unloaded it, and locked the gun, mag, and +1 on the front seat of my truck. We ended up talking guns for a while in his car. Every other situation has been a non issues whether OC or CC. I've dealt with my local PD at my house 3 times while OC'ing without a word being said.

·
3,580 Posts
So far I have had nothing but pleasant experiences when notifying and mine is always on my hip except when I am in the shower or in the bed (and right this second since I took it off at Elijah's house last night and left it there like a dumbass).
Were you in the bed, the shower or both at Elijah's?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.