Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a Glock 19 and a nice MTac in-the-waistband holster. I normally carry at the 6:00 position, but I was would like to carry closer to the 3:00 position if possible.

The problem is that it is very uncomfortable and very visually obvious -- the piece really sticks out at my side. I am 6'1" and 200 pounds, so the problem is not that I am too skinny.

Have any of you found a way to carry a subcompact Glock IWB besides at 6:00? Should I buy my pants one size bigger to make room for the holster?

Thanks!

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
I'm a skinny guy and couldn't conceal a Block errr I mean Glock at 3:00. But I had no problem concealing a G26 and even G19 at 4:30 in either a Rocketman Lowrider or a Crossbreed. And I don't wear baggy clothing.

The key to concealment, in my experience, is to get the gun down low, with the grip as close to the beltline as you can go while still getting a good purchase on the grip when you draw. The Lowrider excels at this and the Crossbreed can be adjusted for ride height to similarly get the gun down low.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
5'10", 167lbs and a 30" waist. If I carry at 3 o'clock, I'll need to wear a trench coat to hide it. 20lbs ago, I liked the crossbreed style hybrids like mentioned above at 3 o'clock. Now, 3 o'clock is just uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
6 o'clock? How did you lean up against ANY chair or drive? Did you have a lefty holster and draw right handed? I can't imagine putting my right handed holster back there and being able to draw.

3 o'clock is the most natural drawing point but I can't conceal it with just a t-shirt, so I wear it at the 4-4:30 with a crossbreed holster made by CSC member Alexap. Its great!

And I'm also wearing a Glock 19 at the 4 o'clock while I type this.

·
12,561 Posts
6 o'clock? How did you lean up against ANY chair or drive? Did you have a lefty holster and draw right handed? I can't imagine putting my right handed holster back there and being able to draw.

3 o'clock is the most natural drawing point but I can't conceal it with just a t-shirt, so I wear it at the 4-4:30 with a crossbreed holster made by CSC member Alexap. Its great!

And I'm also wearing a Glock 19 at the 4 o'clock while I type this.
For the record, you won't catch me carrying at 6. All you need to do is fall on the thing on concrete or down stairs and you're looking at life altering consequences from spinal damage. I don't make a habit of falling on concrete or down stairs, but it isn't exactly a far fetched proposition.

Edit: Plus, there's that silly carrying in the car thing. Drawing from a belted in, seated position would be...uh, tricky. Then there's the car wreck thing. I don't want a chunk of steel on my spine riding down the road.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
OP, carrying IWB at 3pm is tough. Being where it is, I'd have to go up a pant size too...visually, depending on what you're wearing it makes you look like you've got a tumor growing off your side, then there's the pointy hip bone, and the bumping into things/people. I also carry in MTACs, and the most comfortable position for me is right behind the right hip (as others have stated), 4-4:30...since I cant mine forward by running the forward clip in the bottom hole and the rear clip 3rd from the bottom, the "bump" of the kydex body is just above my back pocket depending on what I'm wearing. That's been the most comfortable position for me. Laying on my couch right now with my P30 in that holster, and the MTAC mag pouch at 7:30.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I am interested to know how many of you buy pants one size too big in order to accommodate the holster???

·
12,561 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I am interested to know how many of you buy pants one size too big in order to accommodate the holster???
Depends on what you carry, where you carry and how you wear your pants.

For me with a glock 26:
Appendix carry = normal pants
4 oclock = Either looser in the waist (some pants just fit looser no matter what size they say they are) or +2. Luckily, I've lost weight so I have some +2's (and +4's that could conceal a small rifle).

·
Banned
5,862 Posts
I carry at 4 o'clock. Gotta IWB holster for my glock 27 at the holster store a few years ago. Course I'm 6' 1 and 300. If I get a pants size over normal my big ass can hide a tank under my shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a pair of jeans that is one size too big. That is the only way I can comfortably carry my Glock 30 at 3 o'clock. 3 is my preferred carry position and most comfortable unless the waistband is too tight.Even in the car it is reasonable. I find the forward cant is the key for me. That keeps the butt from coming out my back.

5'11" @ 200 lbs.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Just behind the hip bone, 4-4:30 ish. Stay away from 3. The hip bone not only makes it protrude more, it's more uncomfortable.
Bingo!

5'8" 155lb 32 waist, M&P9 compact & FS both in MTAC @ 4:30'ish. I have no problem carrying and can even carry a FS w/o printing if I'm wearing a loose fitting (NOT baggy) shirt or a fleece zip-up. My clothes are usually relatively tight i.e. Gap, Banana Republic, Express. If I carried at 3:00, well, I may as well just OC. Play with the cant and position on your belt to get the butt of the grip as tight to your body as possible. While trying to help a friend carry w/o printing we figured out that you can't sag your pants or wear them like an Abercrombie model, it plain doesn't work. Also, if you don't have one, a stiff high-quality belt really does help. And I buy +1" pants for carrying.

Older pic that I've posted before

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
I have to wear pants one size too big to get the holster IWB. I would guess this is mostly unavoidable for anything from a single-stack 9mm in a holster on up (assuming one's normal pants fit one's waist without the need for a belt).

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have to wear pants one size too big to get the holster IWB. I would guess this is mostly unavoidable for anything from a single-stack 9mm in a holster on up (assuming one's normal pants fit one's waist without the need for a belt).
Speak for yourself. Some of us have a hard time finding pants that fit these wonderfully toned dancers thighs AND the waist.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
4:00 is the spot or me, even over to 4:30 depending on the gun. If you can get the grip behind concealing a desert eagle becomes possible. A good belt and a holster that will move with you is key. 3:00 puts the weight against your hip bone. Some guys can pull it off, me not so much.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm going to echo most here is saying to just slide it back a bit. I'm 5'11" and at the beginiing of this year I was 240lb, I'm now 200lb, but that hasn't changed the way that I carry. I'm still right around 4:00 with an MTAC and a MTR or Beltman belt. I don't have to buy the next size up pants, but I have big hips/thighs, so pants that fit my hips and thighs are usually loose on the waist. Despite that being a very unmanly thing to say, I promise I'm a a male.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.