Go Pro Cameras and how to choose | Carolina Shooters Club

Go Pro Cameras and how to choose

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by 1406, Dec 1, 2016.

1. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I'm in the market for a Go Pro camera. I'm going on a snowmobiling trip in February and want to have one by then to film some cool stuff.

If you have a camera, which one do you have and would you recommend it?

I'd probably use it for some hunting footage, swimming and just general BS stuff from time to time.

TIA

2. Mark Brooks

Mark Brooks Registered Member

I bought a GoPro Hero 3 with the wrist band to go scuba diving and never opened it. Waterproof up to 100' , 3 mp , 30 fps video. I gave around $ 300.00.. Asking $ 200.00 GoPro.png GoPro 2.png GoPro 1.png

3. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Is this model specifically for the wrist strap or do you know if I could use other housings and mounts?

4. Mark Brooks

Mark Brooks Registered Member

I'm not sure I bought it as a package and never opened it to even try it out. I already had a nice underwater camera and stuck with it.

5. Pisgahboy

Pisgahboy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It should fit other mounts. One caution, gopro won't warranty anything without the original receipt. Get that from the original owner if you buy used.

6. 112

112 Guest

The case might just for that wrist mount, but the camera will fit in any other cases that are for that model.

7. 112

112 Guest

I have a Hero 3+ Silver that I've used for scuba diving and it works great. With the Hero 4's and the new 5 out now you could prob find some of the older models for a really good price.

8. Gtownwrench

Gtownwrench Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

9. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

10. backwoodsshooter

backwoodsshooter OEF 10-11

@concepthomes1 I have had a Hero 3+ silver edition for about 3 1/2 years now. I run a backpac battery setup for the last 2 years. I have used it with my Rc airplanes, on my motorcycle, car, gun, etc.

There are plenty of mounts for anything you need to use it for.

When you go in Feb, what kind of shots you looking at?

FPV(first person view) on your helmet?

A view of you body from the snowmobile?

A view from the snowmobile of where you going?

Liked mentioned with the 4 and 5 out the 3 + silver and blacks are going to be fairly cheap..

11. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Active Member

12. 112

112 Guest

That looks like a pretty good deal for a 3+ silver. There is also the GoPro Hero, which is the budget model they released last year. I have some friends who have them and like them ok, but one of the major cons of them IMO is that they have internal batteries. GoPro batteries drain fairly quickly so it's nice to be able to change them out on the go.

13. fsj80

fsj80 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Snip

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  14. S&WNewb

S&WNewb Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  15. phideux

phideux Active Member

Are they just battery?? Or can you plug them in on a bike/jetski/snowmobile/etc??

16. 112

112 Guest

Pretty much just battery. I guess technically you could plug it in, if you had an adapter but the housing would have to be off and your camera wouldn't be very protected while charging.

17. Mr. Facebook

Mr. Facebook Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Sneakymedic and 1406 like this.
  18. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I planned on putting a mount base on both my helmet and the side of the machine. I'd like to get some shots from really close to the ground.

Helmet wise - I know with the 3+ the mount will have to go on top but with the Session camera, they have side mounts as well.

I'm just not sold on how tiny that Session camera is.

19. Sneakymedic

Sneakymedic being super sneaky Club Subscribed

That is a good deal for BW's camera up there. It has several spare batteries and mounts with it. Thats where your money adds up.

I have a 1st gen I bought off ebay for like 75.00 several years ago, and it gives great vid. Id like to have the remote set up (that wont work for that generation) for when I am using it for hunting. Its still 1080p vid, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

I bought a "handlebar mount" for mine, and it fits on my bow stabilizer and works fantastic. Go to Walmart/Youtube and you can look at all the mounts and stuff, and see how they fasten.

Mr. Facebook likes this.
  20. backwoodsshooter

I never really liked the session. As far as mounts they have mounts to have a hero top, bottom, left or right mounted. Mine is on the front of my helmet upside down.

I have been wanting to mount it on the side but been too cheap to get the parts to do it.

Grab you a hero 3+ it doesn't matter if it is the silver or black as they are fairly close in specs, or a white if you want most of the features of the black or silver.

If you going to be out for a few hours, I recommend a bacpac battery, with a couple extra internal batteries. Mine 64 gig memory card get me roughly 4 hours of record time. That's a 1080p @30fps.

1406 likes this.
  21. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Thanks for the info. All of it helps.

22. backwoodsshooter

Not a problem. Just make sure you get the water proof cases on before you go out. The bacpac comes with a new housing that has both the waterproof backing and also the skeleton backing.

23. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I have three of the first generation cameras. They take good video but I'd like to have one I could work with a remote. I downloaded an app called iMovie on my iPad for editing purposes. I love that app

1406 and Sneakymedic like this.
  24. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I pulled the trigger on the Hero 3+ Certified Refurbished from GoPro, through Amazon. Same one linked above.

Thanks for all the input.

backwoodsshooter likes this.