GOA's efforts in SC. | Carolina Shooters Club

GOA's efforts in SC.

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by George Hill, Mar 25, 2015.

1. George Hill

George Hill Sponsor

2. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

SC Senator Lee Bright is a friend of the 2nd Amendment. He's introducing these bills, but those politicians afraid of liberty are trying to kill it in committee. All our SC members need to contact your state representatives! Let them know you support S 125 & S 127. All our NC members need to contact their representatives and demand a similar bill as these introduced in NC!

3. George Hill

George Hill Sponsor

SC looks to be a pretty good gun friendly State. Makes me wonder why it doesn't have Open Carry.

4. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

SC doesn't have open carry because of pre Jim Crow era laws. Open carry was banned because of a fear of guns in the hands of certain classes of people.
    Whoever was in power could selectively enforce those laws against those they didn't like. In the past there was always a lot of racism in the way these kinds of laws have been enforced. With the fall of Jim Crow laws, it seemed that the open carry ban might could be reversed, but these laws have proven difficult to overturn due to statist politicians in Columbia that fear true liberty. Even republicans have worked against these bills. Last time even some concealed carry instructors were speaking out against constitutional carry, those supposed to be on the side of the 2nd amendment. They spread fear mongering of incidents of untrained citizens with guns. The truth is some of them prefer the infringement in order to make money off of it, and that was truly the main factor they where against the right to carry without permits. Many would rather see it remain a privilege instead of it being treated like the right that it truly is.

In SC one can only carry a gun for sporting purposes without a permit. That's sad. Permits are privileges not rights, currently SC does not honor the right to carry, even though the politicians claim to be pro second amendment. There are a few politicians in SC like Lee Bright that are truely on our side trying. THe governor said she would sign any of those bills if they get to her desk. The rest of the so called conservatives claiming to be pro gun, is mostly smoke and mirrors, as they won't let these bills out of committee. Similar bills have died, and Bright has reintroduced them. The only reasoning I can think of is that they fear true liberty, and are set in the ways of the past, where SC infringed the rights of certain people.

It's the same reason in NC that there is still a purchase permit in place, it's from a nasty past, left over from Jim Crow.

5. George Hill

George Hill Sponsor

That is most interesting. If we had the right approach we could Lobby publicly how SC Gun Laws are Discriminatory and need to be repealed immediately and if you don't you're a raging sheet wearing racist. But that would take someone with some serious stones and the time to go effectively promote the campaign. Hmmm...

6. cigarsnscotch

cigarsnscotch Member

Thanks for pointing this link out, just sent my email message to the representatives!

7. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Those laws are left over from Jim Crow, and fear of certain races and classes of people with guns. It's less to do with that today, now it's just about keeping control of the entire population in general, not enforcing it on certain classes. That's just the history of those laws, and how they used to be enforced. Now that the door was opened way back then with the intention of enforcing them on certain classes, today it has allowed everyone's rights to be infringed. Funny how opening the door to just a little infringement on someone else, always leads government or those in power to wanting more control over everyone else, thus eventually infringing all citizens rights.

8. myst173

myst173 Member

Constitutional carry was the name of the last bill that popped up last year. I don't think then it addressed open carry, but I could be wrong? It was supposed to be legal citizen of the state, non-felon, over the age of 21, concealed carry without permit. SC would still have had a permit system in place, but it would have been optional just for reciprocity with other states. It died in the committee before it could come to the floor for a vote.

Silver_Bullet is right, some of the CCW instructors were having FITS over it, it's not uncommon to see $100-150 a person classes around here, some of those guys don't want anything to happen to the gravy train.

I haven't read this years version of it, so it could have added open carry? Anyone got a link to the working draft of the bill? The other bill too please? I'd love to see a build what you want in the state, use it in the state law go on the books. It needs to directly reject the need to register sbs/sbr/suppressor/machine gun/etc, and make the production, possession, and use of all of them legal in the state. Pipe dream I know, but you can wish.

I've seen a couple other stuff pop up over the last couple years that the lower state dems jump on to try to squash.. non-violent felon restoring rights at least for long guns for home protection and sport, clearing up the carrying in a car law to where it's legal for a non-felon to have a gun in the car period, not locked up, not here but not there, etc.

SC is working on it, biggest win recently was allowing restaurant carry, but it's still against the law to drink and carry, would rather see that be based off legal sobriety. I'm fine with you being stumble-down drunk with a pocket pistol and a set of keys on you, until you pull out the pistol or turn the ignition the cops need to leave you alone as long as you're not causing problems. Right now SC law doesn't see a difference between a good ole boy sitting on his back porch drinking a beer and popping tin-cans with a 22 and with someone in the club shooting up the roof, that's a problem.

Anything pro-2a in SC I'm all for, or anti-2a I'm all against. Thanks for the post I hadn't heard anything about the bill coming back up this year, and hadn't heard about the other at all this year.