Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in purchasing a GP100 as a home defense gun. I already have an SP101 357 wiht 2 inch barrel and really like it but I want something with a larger grip and longer barrel. I am torn between the 4 and 6 inch barrel. My question is this ... some pictures show the GP with a large rubber Hogue grip and some show the GP with a smaller rubber grip wiht wood inset. What is the difference and when I seach around various web pages how do I know which one I would get if I ordered one? Also what is this Talo Wiley stuff?

Also if anyone know where there are any good deals on one i would appreciate it is you told me where. I see them listed from $570 on up.
I want a ....GP100 in stainless steel. I prefer the smaller grip with wood insert (not fan of Hogue grips) in a 357 cal and a 4 or 6 inch barrel.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will show up soon but, I think the grips w/inserts have been discontinued except for a few special runs. I think they were made by Lett and they went out of business.

I have a 4" .327Fed.Mag. w/Hogue grips and the more I shoot it, the more I like it. I also prefer the Lett grips but I'm warming up to the ugly Hogue's. My 12yo daughter shot about 50rds of .32acp through it today and had a blast.

About the best price I've seen was on a used gun about $475. As you said all new ones are upper 5's or more.

C.S.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
There is a thread here compring the gp to a smith.
I have the 4" stainless and I absolutely LOVE it! It is my go-to-last-resort-can't-carry-much gun. Power o'plenty and somewhat concealable.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Disposable apparently
12,243 Posts
I prefer the Lett as well. I've owned about a dozen GPs in various configurations over the years. Lately I've pared down to just two. One, a 4" blued which I picked up from a pawn shop for 275 OTD and cerakoted. The other, a 3" stainless I bought from Bud's for 425 shipped.

Shop used. They can be had for 400 or less if you look around.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Midway has the original GP100 small grip on back order for a few months now. I have both a fixed and adjustable sight models. I want a smaller grip to put on the adjustable sight model.

So C.S. is probably correct about the Lett grip being run in batches. The back order should clear this week.

11/29/2012 Update: Backorder now 12/26/2012 :-(

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
I took my rubber/wood grips off in exchange for aftermarket Hogue's. Much much more comfortable and better fit in my hand...plus, the blued (black) model looks pretty cool with the beefy Hogue grip.

The GP-100 is a fairly popular gun which means the aftermarket stuff is abundant, including grips. In fact, I've seen those factory grips for sale frequently...haven't looked lately, so I don't know if it's still the case. I really thought the wood inlay stock grips were not comfortable for anything more than a cylinder or two of shooting. Spend anymore time than that and you'll wish you had something more comfortable. Find a good deal on the size and finish, then worry about grips later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.