Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to sell or trade a handgun. If i find a buyer on here do wee need to go to a local FFL to do transfer paperwork? Just looking for a little guidance on that piece if so. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
If both you and the buyer are NC residents there is no "paperwork" required. If you are not a NC resident (I see NJ in your username?) then you must consult an FFL.

The minimum legal requirement is to verify the buyer is a resident of NC, has a CHP or PPP, and to have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person. There have been numerous threads on this topic discussing the issue ad nauseum but those are the basics to stay within the law.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
The minimum legal requirement is to verify the buyer is a resident of NC, has a CHP or PPP, and to have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person.
In the case of PPP, does the seller need to obtain an original PPP from the buyer?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fish. I was born and raised in NJ but I've been a NC resident for the past 12 years and love it here. I bought my current handgun in NC, locally, so if I choose to sell it and find another NC buyer who has a permit to do so, I can sell it to him like anything else? I'd get a bill of sale but doesn't that gun and serial need to be registered to that individual or else it would remain in mine per the ATF, etc?

·
Premium Member
7,965 Posts
Regardless of what you do the gun will always come back "registered" to you.

The factory will show the gun sold to a distributor, and the distributor will show the gun sold to a dealer, and the dealer will show it as being sold to you. Assuming that a crime related trace is ever performed. I seriously doubt if any person on this forum can honestly say the cops have ever come to them, or anyone they know about a gun used in a crime.

Let the stories begin..... my brother (the one that drinks too much) once knew a guy whose neighbor knew a landscaper that had a guy working for him who's sister....... yada....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.