Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1470 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
what's the best way to get an orientation on IDPA? any sessions planned for newbies? I have read the rule book and have a lot of questions, especially after watching some of the events on Outdoors channel. I have several friends that want to do this, and we all have questions on how things work, what holsters are legal, etc.

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
We've talked about doing an 'intro to idpa' class, but until that happens, just come on out to the next match. We'll do a new shooter orientation to get you started safely, then show you how to have fun with the sport.

Bring whatever gear you may have, except for shoulder, crossdraw, or small of the back holsters (safety isssues). Don't worry about what's legal for the first match. You can see a large sample of what everyone else is using and get a better idea of what might work for you. Some of us will even have holsters, mag pouches, etc that you can use for the day if you don't have anything to bring.

Ammo is a different story...we don't share ammo well, cause we usually don't bring enough for ourselves!
reading the rule book is a good start, but personally, I learn better by talking with and watching others.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
Nearly any 9mm, 40, or 45 ACP modern pistol will be just fine, although I did shoot a match once with a guy who shot a genuine WWII Luger!!

Anyway, you should have at least three magazines, a mag pouch, and a decent holster. If you are shooting a Glock, M&P, etc., a lot of shooters prefer a kydex OWB. Bladetech, Blackhawk, etc....

Like trcubed said....a lot of the shooters will help if you need some assistance. I promise, once you shoot the first match, you will be hooked!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The next H2O Fowl Farms IDPA match will be February 11th sign in starts at 9am we will start shooting at 10am looks like we will have a good turn out Call Andy at 910-984-6701 or Steven at 919-332-6691 for more info

·
Registered
56 Posts
H2O will have a IDPA match 2/11/12 sign up starts at 9 we will start shooting at 10 we have added another bay in hopes of speeding up the stages I look foward to see everyone there. Call Andy at 910-984-6701 or Steven at 919-332-6691 for more info

·
Registered
949 Posts
should be six stages, just got the email from amp and the fee is $15. I shot it last month but wont be able to make this one beause im shooting the Ironman match. H2O is a great match and has a great turnout, give it a try.

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
Amp...what time are we setting up Friday?
I can bring a cascader, swinger, clamshell, peek-a-boo...etc...etc...
I also have a beta peek-a-boo...

Call me or email me

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's set up at 1:00pm.

There will be a vendor there Saturday selling hotdogs/hambugers/drinks etc.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You guys have fun, work has me away again. Did I mention 356 and a wakeup yet?

1 - 20 of 1470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.