Hacked account | Carolina Shooters Club

Hacked account

Discussion in 'Club News | How To's | Issues & Suggestions' started by RetiredUSNChief, Oct 1, 2021.

1. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

As some of you may already know, my account was hacked about a week ago.

I had not been on this site for a while and only knew about it when someone on another site, where I had also been hacked a few weeks ago, sent me a link to let me know.

This wouldn't have happened if I had returned here after that initial hacking and changed my password and updated to Two-Step Verification.

IF YOU HAVEN'T UPDATED TO TWO-STEP VERIFICATION, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Hover your cursor over your screen name in the right hand side of the bar and click on "Password" in the drop down menu. On that page, on the left hand side, will be a list of links. Near the bottom will be "Two-Step Verification".

Click it and do it.

I owe people here an apology, and my thanks. An apology, because I placed their fiscal well being in needless jeopardy. My thanks, because people here were both smart enough to pick up on the scam and alert enough to recognize this wasn't in keeping with my character.

HOW DID MY ACCOUNT GET HACKED?

Quite simple, really. I had the same screen name and same password for two different sites. When one was compromised, a simple google search of my screen name would reveal any other sites I am known on.

Gee, why would I do something stupid like that?

Ignorance and convenience, that's why.

Ignorance, because my thought process was "This isn't a financial institution and not an official site where I post anything that would compromise my finances." What I DIDN'T consider is the fact that people often put things up for sale or requests for things they're looking to buy.

Convenience, because my thought process was "These are similar sites on the same topics, so I'll keep them the same. After all, it's not my bank or credit union."

And while I was correct that these sites I'm talking about wouldn't affect MY banking, they most certainly could affect OTHER PEOPLES finances.

In short, my failure didn't harm ME...but it COULD HAVE HARMED OTHERS.

I said above that this wouldn't have happened here if I had remembered to come back here to change my password after I had been hacked at the other site. Well...it also wouldn't have happened AT ALL if I had taken my security, and the security of other people on these two sites, a little bit more seriously than I did in the first place.

SO AGAIN:

Re-evaluate your current password strategies. Change your password if required and follow though with the Two-Step Verification setup.

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

That's great advice for us all. I'm glad it worked out.

Thanks to everyone who reported the hacker to us so we could shut it down quickly.

We're glad you are back @RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  3. SkydivnShooter

One more thing about this and then I promise to get off the soap box.

I have been a member here for 14 years and an Admin for the past 3. I have never seen an account hacked until now.

I've seen, rejected applications and banned plenty of scammers, but never seen a hacked account.

I work this site diligently multiple times per day and I have no tools to stop a hacker. I'm working on it but I have nothing yet.

So, please follow @RetiredUSNChief advice and Re-evaluate your current password strategies. Change your password if required and follow though with the Two-Step Verification setup. I just did mine. That'll help us all.

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  4. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

And let's have everyone get the Vax stab also.... right..

majicmike and RetiredUSNChief like this.
  5. Jeppo

Jeppo Member

6. shootn4fun

shootn4fun Registered Member

7. SkydivnShooter

Yep. Another hacked account.

He's been banned.

RetiredUSNChief, Jeppo and shootn4fun like this.
  8. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Remember... the fastest way to let staff know is to flag the suspect postings.

SkydivnShooter and shootn4fun like this.