Hammer Bullets | Carolina Shooters Club

Hammer Bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SeabeeChief, Apr 29, 2021.

1. SeabeeChief

SeabeeChief Registered Member

New hammer bullets arrived today. 257 and 7mm calibers. Testing to start soon and if they work out, Barnes will be outta here. They are supposed to be easy to develop. This fall I’ll try them on deer.

2. SeabeeChief

OK, tested hammer bullets in my 250AI and 284 Win today and I am blown away by their accuracy. First, they are not sensitive to COL variations and expect 100+ fps more speed from them over what you normally get. In the 284 I fired 120 gr Hammer Hunters over IMR-4166 and it was phenomenal. Largest group was .477 and smallest was .012. Don't bother much with ES/SD numbers as from what I can see it doesn't make much difference with these bullets with all loads .477" or better. I never did find pressure signs even though I was 2 gr over what Quickload predicted as max for a similar weight Barnes bullet. Who knows where top end is. I'll never use another Barnes bullet. Going down now to pull every Barnes bullet I have loaded. Come on deer season!!!!

ka30270 likes this.
  3. ka30270

ka30270 Registered Member

Thanks for sharing. I see these mentioned a lot on Long Range Hunting forum but you always wonder if they are as good as they say. I've looked them over on the website several times but haven't hit the buy button yet.

SeabeeChief likes this.
  4. SeabeeChief

Tested reloder 16 and 26 with 92 HH in my 257AI yesterday. Amazing! RL 16 shot best with a .119 group, ES 2 and SD 1.3 and 3156 fps and never did pressure out. Case fill was about 98%. With Reloder 26 I hit over 3500 fps and no pressure but groups ran .5-1". I just couldn't get enough powder in the case to go further. The rifle loved reloder 26 with barnes bullets and was on a node at over 3300 fps

5. Soils Man

Soils Man Registered Member

Never seen the Hammer bullets but may have to look at them.

I just got in some Cavity Back for my 6.8 SPC to try and, first glance they are pretty nice. I HOPE I get the chance to actually hunt and take an animal with them this year. Always looking for options for the 6.8 and 300 BO.

Thanks for the mention the Hammer as I'll take a look at them when I get a chance.

SeabeeChief likes this.
  6. SeabeeChief

Ordered the new 175 gr 338 hammer hunter to test in the 338rcm.