Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stay in a apt only so much one could do can hope to do. If a stranger walks up to your property and asks to camp or use the land, what would your initial reaction be? What would win you over? If the person had seeds, water, food, ammo etc, and offered to share; would would you still boot them out for security reasons? Would said person be better off squatting on vacant land?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Like you, I live in a condo /apartments, and I know the other 5 owners in my building. I would offer reasonable assistance to them. Safety in numbers.

The squatting thing is a different beast because you have no ideal what to expect. I would expect the worst and go from there. Squatting on unknown property isn't a good ideal in my book.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
I would recommend making contacts now, getting in with people with room/land and so forth. Have a "big out destination" in mind both for the short term and long term.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Personally I would either leave the apartments or organize a group in the apartments. It would be a perfect setup for a large group/gang to set up in. As are many in inner cites such as Detroit were a gang controls the building and deals out of it.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
a 'walk up' is different in so many ways.
like the Jehovah's Witness on Saturday.

given an --extended-- SHTF situation...parameters:
1. your scouts/neighbors would inform you they're coming.
2. the 'squatters' have been turned down by everyone else.
3. you ALREADY have a place in mind for this eventuality.

#3 is the key...have a place for them to go. like this:
"oh yeah, y'all can camp by that tree over there."
whether they do it or not, well, that's different.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
In that specific scenario (assuming that it's a stranger) if there was a benefit that camping on my property offered them, then I'd allow it with conditions if I was convinced that they were no threat (such as a family with children)...but nothing is free.

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
If a stranger walks up to your property and asks to camp or use the land, what would your initial reaction be? What would win you over?
Exactly how big are her b00bs? :)

But seriously, I would have to say Id be VERY leary of anyone I didn't know in that type of situation... Hell, there's people i DO know that Id not go out on a limb for (from a safety/security standpoint).

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
An isolated separate "intake" area is what I've recommend for anyone you decide to "take in". Otherwise, they should move on. How will you know if they are not gathering intel for future take over, that they are not part of a larger group? Also, I've always been concerned with the idea of a critical mass occurring, deciding your property isn't yours anymore and that the greater number should rule.
On the other hand, if you look at the Balkan's article, he said they decided numbers were better.

·
Dog Defender
2,974 Posts
I would recommend making contacts now, getting in with people with room/land and so forth. Have a "big out destination" in mind both for the short term and long term.
This is something lacking in our plans. We are fairly well situated for a short-term "bug-in" but we do not know many/any like minded folks around here.

·
Wings of Gold 1990
6,752 Posts
This is something lacking in our plans. We are fairly well situated for a short-term "bug-in" but we do not know many/any like minded folks around here.
I'm in a similar situation here. A guy I thought would be a asset and who is a good friend had his home foreclosed and had to move away. The rest of my neighbors are pretty obnoxious.

G

·
Squatters by semi-invitation would be allowed to camp on my property outside the fence. The only assistance to them would be to allow them a place to rest and camp, with their own supplies. I would consider it an early warning system of anyone else approaching.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think you should get out and start looking for a friend now. Find that place you can go and be welcome before hand. Then start adding to instead of wanting to take. You do not have to drive to far out of the city to be in the middle of no where. It really is not that hard. Best bet is to find a place and buy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.