Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email this morning from Cheaper than Dirt - with a link in it to a safety article on their site. I'd call it BS, but I think that might be an insult to some brown stinky piles of actual bs. It says that before holstering a striker fired pistol, you should stick your finger on the trigger. I don't want to mention the name of the "method" because every time someone types it, it will link to that article, and that is more traffic to their site. I've never commented on anything on their site before, but I couldn't resist, and I had to say something about it here.

Has ANYONE heard of ANYthing like this before?

It struck me as so dumb and dangerous, I decided to devote my weekend to tracking down the CEO to contact...

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=31692

Now the crappy thing is that - for internet writers, if you create controversy, and draw readers to a website, you're probably doing a good job... In that way, the writer has done a phenomenal job, but what he wrote - this article could get someone killed. I think that crosses the line.

Maybe an actual firearms expert could contact CTD? I know there are some good ones here. This bugs me.

Hand Product Sleeve Gesture Finger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I see what they are saying as it in a twisted way makes sense for someone using a crappy holster like the one in the picture. He's not saying put your finger in the trigger the same as you would to pull it. He's saying place it on the side or rear of the trigger so that while holstering slow and carefully you will feel if the trigger gets caught on your cheapie $5 holster. Goes against the major rules of safety I know...but I understand the angle they're coming from.

The article shoulda be written on why one should not use a cheapie holster!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Finger is behind the trigger to prevent movement. Once there the finger can also move the safety. Not a safe way to holster IMO.

I don't own striker pistols, don't trust them as I like the last click of a thumb safety. My daughter likes the XDs. Just personal preference.

-R

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I understand the logic, but still think it stupid. I don't want anything, including my finger anywhere near the trigger on holstering. Buy a decent friggin' holster!

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Ahhh... the Plaxico method... Vury popular in nightclubs...

I don't have an issue with thin holsters, but they should never be reholstered while worn. If it isn't a rigid holster, take it out of your pants, holster the weapon, and then reinsert the holster. End of story...

·
3,580 Posts
I feel pretty confident, that the method its perpetuated by a surgeon that specializes in reattachment in penis', similar in the way dentists would benefit by a holiday in which we would give out tons of candy that we call halloween.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
Thumb on the side to keep it in battery when I holster. That is all.

And to those that have to have a pistol with a safety, that's your choice. I prefer to use a grey safety. Never had an ND with a striker fire.

I did, however, have an AD with a 1911 when chambering because of a broken sear spring.

·
Registered
291 Posts
While it can be said that there is no substitute for proper gun handling skills, it should also be said that there is no substitute for appropriate gear. If your gear, in this case a flimsy holster, causes you to do things that you otherwise would not do than it should be discarded. That appears to be the case here. A $500.00 gun being carried in a $5.00 holster is nonsensical.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
Starting at right around 4:00, this guy starts unholstering and reholstering his Glocks in his appendix holster. Every time he shoves that pistol down into the holster, I flinch, waiting for the shot. I mean, of course, I know there's not actually going to be a shot...or the video would be way more popular than it is. I'm just saying, it just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

How about if we start by agreeing on this one simple point: when you holster your handgun, do it slowly and deliberately. Don't just shove it down in there. If you are mindful about what you're doing, then there's a pretty decent chance you'll feel it if the trigger catches on something, and you can stop pushing on the gun before it fires. If you just shove it down in there, then even if you happen to notice that the reholstering feels funny, there's no way you'll be able to stop it in time to avoid getting a nice new hole in your body.

Sorry to sound like an old lady. Carry on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
To each his own. I am not sticking a gun down the front of my pants for any reason, at any time, anywhere. I carry from 3-4:30. Rule 2: Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
To each his own. I am not sticking a gun down the front of my pants for any reason, at any time, anywhere. I carry from 3-4:30. Rule 2: Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

+1000 on Rule #2!

·
Bloody Peasant Staff
1,944 Posts
He probably has a small target...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm no expert but that looks like a really really bad idea. Why such a big emphasis on reholstering anyway? Real life aint like the movies, where you say a witty line, blast the bad guy and put your gun back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.