Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeing a few P7's recently one local and one online. The local ones blued, $900 and comes with the box and one mag. I think they will probably deal some on it though, hopefully around $800 otd since its been there awhile. The online one is brushed chrome done by fords, no original box and one mag its right around $750 after shipping and transfer.

Does anyone have one of these or has had one and have any thoughts or opinions on it? I know its a bit heavier then most of my CCW stuff but its slim and in a decent holster I think it would do pretty well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a P7M8 as my carry gun, but I may switch to an M&P before the summer. They're very fast, very safe, well-balanced, and accurate pistols with pretty good triggers, but there are downsides as mentioned above. The biggest downside for me is the blued finish. This gun rusts if you look at it funny, then add holster wear to the equation and it gets worse. It conceals well in my CTAC under just a T-shirt, but I had to add a felt backing to the holster just to keep moisture off of the slide and forward part of the frame.

Another big downside is its' capacity. 8+1 isn't much firepower for how much the gun weighs. For comparable weight you could pack a polymer gun with twice the capacity.

Pros:
-Stupid-fast mag changes (at least with the M8/M13/M10/K3 models)
-Very low bore axis; shoots like a full-size, carries like a compact
-Inherently one of the safest carry guns ever
-Good trigger; smooth, consistent moderate-weight pull with clean break
-Reliable extraction and feeding; fluted chamber allows for extraction even with the extractor removed, minimal feed angle reduces failures-to-feed

Cons:
-Rust-prone factory finish; many people have them hard-chromed, NP3'd, etc.
-Expensive for used/surplussed guns.
-Mags are available, but expensive
-Heat; the gas-retarded blowback action directs firing gasses into a chamber directly above the trigger guard. This is the key to the P7's shooting characteristics, but results in rapid heat transfer to the frame, and the gun can become too hot to hold after 75-ish rounds. For carry, this isn't a big deal as I only carry a total of 25 rounds, but for range use and practice it becomes a big issue.
-Complexity; the gun is very easy to field strip, but everything in the frame is a veritable rat's nest of metal stampings and springs. All hope abandon ye who enter here.

The P7 is Germany's 1911: Some love it, some hate it. It's a bit outdated, but damn if it ain't got class.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the responses. I decided to go ahead and jump on in and pick one up. It should be coming in next week. Its a hard chromed one with the heel mag release. If I can figure out where my digital camera went Ill get some pics up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.