Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this Galco OWB holster for the possibility of getting into IDPA and/or other competition shooting. My question is, does this holster provide adequate trigger protection? I couldn't find anything specific on IDPA's website, so I was hoping someone here might know. I can't get my finger over the trigger when holstered, but I did not know if there were any rules regarding coverage.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Staff Writer
547 Posts
That's actually a tough one. Reading the rule book, it says "C. Must fully cover the trigger of the firearm." Is that "fully covered"? I'm really not sure.

I'd say go ahead and use it. Most club matches won't send you home for such a minor infraction even if they decide it's against the rules. Just don't keep showing up with it if they do or they might not like you.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
You might be able to mod that kydex around the trigger guard for a deeper fit. Chief Jason has taught me how to use a hair dryer on his kydex holsters for IDPA, especially when retention fit is tight.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
That wouldn't pass muster at any major match that I'm aware of.

My advice is to pick from Wahoo's list. You can add Bladetech to it as a potential company to get one from.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The great thing about IDPA is it allows you to practice in somewhat real scenarios. I always recommend people to use whatever you use on a daily basis. This will hone your CC skills and how you engage possible targets. I wear a cover garment like I would wear every day. By using a different holster you really aren't helping yourself in the real world. I have a holster box that is pretty full, lol!!! I have custom leather by many of the top craftsman in the industry today. However I prefer to use my Serpa in winter and my Bianchi Carry Loc for summer. Never thought I would ever like a retention holster, but I do, the release is placed in the perfect position so it doesn't slow the draw at all. The Bianchi is better in this area but with practice the Serpa is also a good holster. But we all need to find what works best for you and your needs and how you dress. Good luck finding what works out best for you. But trust me when I say to practice how you will fight!!!

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
I make one for the Shield, looks like one in there. I can make sure the trigger is covered and can tweak the retention down a bit if it's for IDPA. And in all honesty, I think mine look better. There is so much wrong with that holster, starting with the gun in it is not the gun used to mold the holster. Mine are $30 shipped so you are not breaking the bank. And several folks here are using them for IDPA. The link in my sig line is to my BST add and there is a photobucket link there to more pics of my holsters.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
The holster pictures appears by design to allow the gun to not cling as tight to the body as I prefer. Course I'm making that assumption based on a picture so I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
That looks like the holster that Galco flooded the market with two weeks ago. I saw it on ebay and on Palmetto State Armory sites for $30 bucks. Looks like it's missing some leather at the top where the grip would rest right on your shirt.

I think it's what some companies call a JIT holster.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The great thing about IDPA is it allows you to practice in somewhat real scenarios. I always recommend people to use whatever you use on a daily basis. This will hone your CC skills and how you engage possible targets. I wear a cover garment like I would wear every day. By using a different holster you really aren't helping yourself in the real world. I have a holster box that is pretty full, lol!!! I have custom leather by many of the top craftsman in the industry today. However I prefer to use my Serpa in winter and my Bianchi Carry Loc for summer. Never thought I would ever like a retention holster, but I do, the release is placed in the perfect position so it doesn't slow the draw at all. The Bianchi is better in this area but with practice the Serpa is also a good holster. But we all need to find what works best for you and your needs and how you dress. Good luck finding what works out best for you. But trust me when I say to practice how you will fight!!!
I carry using Alexap's IWB holster, and I feel like I've heard that most competitive matches frown on such a holster.

It's a M&P9c with a pinky-less mag. I knew chiefjason made holsters; I probably should have just gone with his to begin with. :(

It's hard to tell in that pic, but the leather backing is quite thick and rides very close on my waist line. The thick backing is why I decided on it to begin with. It also was hard to tell from online pictures how much trigger coverage it would have.

Thanks for the feedback. I may try a hairdryer (the kydex is thick too, much thicker than my Alexap holster kydex), and if that doesn't work the way I like, I may save my pennies and get one from chiefjason.

·
Vendor
8,204 Posts
It's probably .08 or .093. Lay some cloth over the body of the holster to prevent it from deforming and loosing the mold around the frame and slide. If you have a heat gun use it on low and take your time heating it. Wear gloves too. If you heat it too fast you will see it getting shiny. I just wave the heat gun over the kydex slowly until it softens up. The unloaded gun will be fine in there while you heat it. Then push the gun in further and start remolding the trigger guard area. It may take a couple tries. But you can reheat the kydex again.

That leather looks like it's 2 layers thick, glued finished side out then sewn. At that point you might as well make a leather holster IMO. But I'm sure it makes for a nicer look on the back of the holsters. Which is odd. The leather looks great, but the kydex mold is kind of so so in a few ways. If I had a machine I'd consider making mine that way. But hand stitching is way too much time for that. Speaking of which, back to hand stitching a leather holster.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
I carry using Alexap's IWB holster, and I feel like I've heard that most competitive matches frown on such a holster.

It's a M&P9c with a pinky-less mag. I knew chiefjason made holsters; I probably should have just gone with his to begin with. :(

It's hard to tell in that pic, but the leather backing is quite thick and rides very close on my waist line. The thick backing is why I decided on it to begin with. It also was hard to tell from online pictures how much trigger coverage it would have.

Thanks for the feedback. I may try a hairdryer (the kydex is thick too, much thicker than my Alexap holster kydex), and if that doesn't work the way I like, I may save my pennies and get one from chiefjason.
Send it to me, I'll fix it for you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.