Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought that my modern day 30 M1 Carbine, with the right load, might make a good home defense gun. I've also read many articles about the inadequacy of the standard carbine round against humanoids. But- the gun is light, short, very maneuverable and I have hi-cap magazines. And now, Hornady is offering a critical defense load.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-M1-CARBINE-110-GR-FTX-CD/

If nothing else, Hornady does an outstanding job of marketing, to wit: just as soon as they hit the market, I'm going to order several boxes for evaluation.

What say ye ??????????

·
Registered
531 Posts
M1 carbine worked fine on thousands of the Japanese Imperial Army and Wehrmacht with ball, should work great with a bit of modern tech.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Those rounds look interesting but pricey. The standard for the M1 Carbine has always been the 110gr JSP. Jim Cirillo enjoyed great success with it when he was with NYPD.

Here's my carbine:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the Hornady rounds hit the market, I may do a water jug test or something similar and post results.

My thought about using an M1 carbine and these rounds for HD is that they're a little more than pistol but not quite rifle and in a time-proven, short rifle platform.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
I had a AMT Automag III in .30 carbine and that was a giant grin maker, it made a fireball about the size of a beach ball and everyone at the range would stop shooting to see what had just gone off. If you ever find one buy it very light recoil also.

·
Banned
84 Posts
The M1 Carbine round got a very unfair label with just a little bit of scuttlebutt. The truth is, it is a very good round and plenty lethal "as is" with 110 gr ball. This new round is just icing on the cake.

G

·
My only concern with using the M1 for HD is that mine always seemed uncommonly loud compared to other carbines, which would probably suck for your ears indoors. Other than that it's a handy gun that has done a good job for multiple wars, what's not to like?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
The M1 carbine was originally intended by the Army to replace the 1911. Think of it in terms of a long barreled .357 power level weapon.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I remember reading of a LE dept that used the M1 as patrol carbines with soft point ammo. They stated they never had to shoot anyone twice. I can't imagine it being louder than a 16" 5.56.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.