Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok reload guru's got a question .

I am loading hornady .357 140gr ftx (http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Cal-.357-140-gr-FTX/) into once fired .357 cartridges.

Out of the 50 I loaded I had to take apart 30 of them because the case would be bulged and wouldn't seat into the bullet checker . The bulging seemed to occur during the bullet seat process , I am seating the bullet all the way down to where the overall length of the loaded cartridge is 1.59 inches.

My load book said to use 2400 powder 13.7gr to achieve best load speed of 1600fps.

It seems with this amount of powder the bullet head is actually compressing the powder in the cartridge , is this normal.

After using a bullet puller and resizing the case it would all reform back into spec fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you crimping as you seat the bullet? It is possible to bulge a case by applying too much crimp or by having the die adjusted to apply crimp too early while seating the bullet thus forcing the edge of the case into the side of the bullet and causing the case to bulge. Also if this happened on 30 out of 50 you may need to check your case length. Straight walled case like the .357 don't "grow" much but could be too long from the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that article about shortening the cartridge , it would give you less room in the cartridge for powder , right now im already out of cartridge space for powder. I was thinking maybe i need to lube the bullet head before seating it , also the crimper and bullet seater are 2 diffent dies. I may not have them adjusted right.

·
Premium Member
7,966 Posts
Crimp into the cannelure and let the OAL fall where it may. It sounds like you're applying too much crimp and buckling the case.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got pictures?

I have to agree with Grayraven, bet you're crimping too early.

That much 2400 in a .357 Mag case shouldn't be a problem.
Alliant says you can get 15+ grains under a Speer 140 grain
Gold Dot.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well , It ended up being the powdercharge / neckflare was not flaring the neck out enough , adjusted the die , continued reloading , problem resolved.
I did not end up having to trim the cases down to the 1.240.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.