How do you pick your mattress? | Carolina Shooters Club

How do you pick your mattress?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by 1406, Dec 6, 2016.

1. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I'm in a quandary. My wife and I plopped down a chunk of change early in 2015 for a new mattress that we both believed would deliver to us endless night of relaxing sleep.

That has not worked out like we thought.

We chose a Serta memory foam mattress from Ashley Furniture that was med-firm. She sleeps great but I, on the other hand, wake up about twice a week with headaches and backaches. I can honestly say that I've had less than 20 good nights of sleep since we bought it.

I'm leaning hard on going back to a spring mattress but was curious: What kind of mattress do you like and what do you like about it?

2. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Hate memory foam. It does best for little people. .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bigfelipe and CharlieDeltaJuliet like this.
  3. I have a "Lasting Impressions" firm memory foam mattress. I love it but have had it for a few years and is about time to buy another. I have horrible back issues and had to move away from my old spring mattress.

4. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

I like the one I have one from Original Mattress Co.

Stick and Mike_D like this.
  5. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

I have a sleep number, they really feel good in the showroom, specially that adjustable base I didn't spring for. Despite that and all the raves living with it, it's just a mattress, and as noisy as the cheapest air mattress.

CS in store, great. CS from delivery "scheduler" awful. Ability to hold to "schedule" well they made it in the same day they said, by two hours, yeah the $200 required delivery and set up that was scheduled for 4:30 or else bump another two weeks didn't occur until after 10:00pm.

The refund offer after they got an atrocious review in their satisfaction survey, yeah that didn't happen.

Literally the worst company I have dealt with.

Oh, but we were still in the return window, so I could pay another $200 and miss work to accommodate their schedule to get the mattress hauled off, nah, it beats the floor by a little and I'm already out a few hundred that's apparently all non refundable. I guess the wife likes it, I never would've had it delivered after the scheduling BS.

6. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

I found a website and I cannot remember what it was called, about 8 years ago that was independent and had people rate the mattresses on a ton of stuff.

They rated everything from sleep to stains to longfevity and sex on the mattress.

It was because of that site I picked the mattres I did and it's been great.

7. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Well-Known Member

I have the mid grade cloud version of the tempur pedic and it sleeps very good. It is starting to get "holes" in it after 4 years were I lay, but has a ten year warranty I'm going to have to send in.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  8. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

And I am NOT a little person.

9. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

I buy the thickest (usually two inch thick) memory foam mattress pad I can at Belk or Beyond the Bathroom and put it on top of whatever old mattress I am no longer happy with and it makes it as comfy as I need it to be.

10. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Care to share what kind of mattress it is?

11. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I thought about that but then I realized "I'm going to buy a memory foam topper to go over a memory foam mattress."

Once I think about it like that, then I'm thankful the sky is purple and grass is orange.

12. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

I just remembered. We slept at a new Hilton on the Outer Banks maybe 8 years ago and it was the most spectacularly comfortable mattress we ever slept on, and you could buy them at the Hilton website. I don't know who made them for them, but they were wonderful.

13. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

We have 2 Kingsdown mattress in the house. Made in NC. That is what we sold so I got pretty good deals on them. Very happy with it, but it's showing some age. Well it's 10 years old so that's to be expected.

As a delivery guy, some pointers. I don't like no flip mattresses. Half the usable mattress for usually more price. My daughter has one but she's 12, so it does not really matter. Two adults, it can matter after a few years,

Take an honest look at where it's going to go. Particularly if you are upgrading in size. I have broken King size mattresses trying to get them into town homes. Yes, you can break a mattress if you bend it enough. Kings mattresses do come in 2 mattress sets like the box springs. But they don't want you to know that normally. And then the Queen has a single box spring that is hard to get in some places.

Occasionally we would have a complaint about the mattress. But mostly we replaced new, and like new mattresses with ours. My oldest daughters mattress was a $3k mattress that the company stiffed a lady with. When my step dad delivered the replacement she gave him that one, slept on less than a week before they changed bedrooms to get away from it. If there was an issue it was almost immediately. If it stayed in the home a month, it stayed.

If you want CS go up to Boyles in Mocksville and take a look around. Not cheap. But I've seen that company do some crazy things to make folks happy. it went out of business for a while but the former owners son re opened the original store. I liked his son. I'm sure the CS is important to him as well.

14. GoWolfpack

GoWolfpack Scofflaw Cyclist Club Subscribed

Suffolk, VA (formerly Rolesville and Tarboro, NC)
    I have a memory foam mattress and it's not for everybody, but for us it's magical. If your back is hurting the mattress probably isn't firm enough for you.

It sounds like you need a split king mattress where your wife can use the foam and you can have springs.

15. GoWolfpack

I used a strap to fold one in half to get it up the stairs in a town house. Didn't break it though. Lucky I guess.

Almost wished I did, the owner wanted me to wash my hands before I touched his precious mattress.

16. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

The big name brand memory foam. Tempur pedic I think it is.

We got the one that was firm for most of the Matthews with a layer of softer on top.

You can really get a grip on that thing if you know what I mean.

17. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Simmons Beautyrest Platinum for me. My previous mattress was also a Simmons Beautyrest, but I can't recall which one. It lasted about 10 years before I decided to replace it.

18. 112

112 Guest

I have tempur pedic cooling mattress and it is great. However if it were up to me I would string up my hammock in the bedroom and sleep in that. My hammocks give me the best sleep I have ever had.

Qball50 likes this.
  19. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

Annnnnnnd that's how I broke the mattress. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

When my employer relocated me from SC to here years ago, the movers poked a softball sized hole in the wall of my just sold townhouse trying to get a queen box spring around a stairwell landing, at 5 PM in the afternoon, when I had a 9 AM closing 260 miles away the next morning. I did the worst sheetrock patch job I have ever seen, and in about 20 minutes, but I guess it was better than leaving the hole.

21. GoWolfpack

That should be the punch line to a way better story.

There should still be rope though.

22. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

We bought a less expensive king mattress and bought the 3 inch thick topper at Costco. Better than a mattress that cost twice as much.

Chdamn likes this.
  23. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

My woman like's 'em king sized and hard..... enough said......

fishgutzy and Chdamn like this.
  24. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

We have a Restonic. You can flip it. Had one years ago and it was great. Got something else and couldn't stand it. Glad to be back on a Restonic.
    On another note, why do mattresses come with a 25 year warranty but you're supposed to change them every 8 years?

25. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Hall of Shame

My fiancée and I visited some place that sold mattresses (don't remember where) before we were married and picked one out. It went something like this:

HER: I like this one.

ME: That one over there is nice.

ME: What about the one with the pad built into the top on the mattress?

ME: Do they have any a little softer?

ME: (To the salesman) We'll take this one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  26. BigWaylon

BigWaylon Stamp Collector

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  27. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

You're frightening me. The wife and I just spring for a sleep number, it's being delivered tomorrow.... we'll have to see how that goes. It's our christmas present to each other, so maybe it will be delayed and we won't get it until then.

The reason we went with it was the whole "can't agree on a firmness" thing, as well as me thinking that as the thing wears out I can just crank up the air part to make up for the dead foam so we don't have to replace it as fast. I'll let you know in 10 years how that worked out.

28. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

My neighbor and his wife got a sleep number. He sleeps in his recliner every night now.

29. mj1angier

mj1angier Grumpy old fart Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

We have a Sleep Number for the past 4 years and like it. It is the 1 step over the cheapest they make. Not sure why his is "noisy". Other than when we change the setting, it just as quite as any other mattress. I change my settings every 2 months or so. Wife has had same setting from start.
    We just had them relive the mattress and I set it up. Came in a box from UPS. Took about 45 min to un-box and set up. I used our old box-springs with a 1/4 sheet of plywood on top. When we got new bed set, did not need box-springs any more.

If you are on a budget, Mattress Factory is great. I have 2 of theirs on other beds in the house.

30. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

Would have been more fun to explain too. Luckily the next guys barely got it in without breaking it so I got off the hook.

I had a lady give me a sleep number, the whole thing. Weird bed. Gave it to my sister and she liked it though.

Although it does remind me..... We delivered a bed to a young "power couple" in S Charlotte. Big freaking heavy bed too. We were putting it together and the (hot) wife looked behind the headboard. Made a comment about the bed was going to knock holes in the wall and she might not want to keep it. Told her to calm down and let us finish setting it up. Got the bed set up and everything ready and called her and her husband up. She jumped on the bed, running jump, tried her best to move it, flopping all over the bed. Got up, pushed on the footboard and could not move it. She made a wise crack about it being OK, and they probably couldn't move it into the wall. So I looked at hubby and told him, "If you knock holes in the wall with this you are THE MAN." Thought he was going to fall over.

Sometimes the job was pretty amusing.