Carolina Shooters Forum banner

How Finicky are Semi's with Light Loads?

15K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  bigB6flyer 
#1 ·
Although I own a Rem 870 Police, I know very little about shotguns in general. I think I'd like to have a semi-auto and prefer to shoot light loads just for fun; however, I've read that often semi-auto's can be finicky unless full power shotshells are used. Is this often true? Isn't there a way to "set" them for soft loads?

I know the answer is stick with a pump, but for some reason, a 20 ga semi interests me.

#5 ·
I've been shooting Nobel & Clover Italian made shell, #8 7/8 oz , one at 1150 other 1200 fps. I've shot a few OO and #1 Bucks and they are no fun at all! Was sort of thinking a 20ga might suit me better, but it seems they are rated pretty much the same in terms of Oz of shot and FPS....so, wouldn't these produce the same relative kick?

Also thinking, as Remshooter said above, a semi would absorb some of the recoil.

#3 ·
It takes about 8 lbs of gas pressure to cycle a 12 ga. gas operated semi auto and about 6 lbs on the 20 ga. (So depending on the gas port sizes, how light a load will produce the needed pressure). But the good thing about gas semi's is they are taking a lot of the kick out to cycle the action. So even with a heavier load, it is usually less felt recoil. And as stated, the more broke in, the lighter load they can run. Have an old 11-87 that will cycle 1 oz Estate shells no problem, which is much lighter than the recommended load for the gun. Not sure what it takes to cycle inertia operated, but you will have more felt recoil

#9 ·
My Benelli Super Vinci has had cycling issues with really light 2 3/4" loads. I think the inertia design along with being able to run 2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2" shells limits how light a load you can use. The manual says to use 3 dram equivalent shells or better. When I've done this, I haven't had any problems.

#10 ·
Some semi's will cycle light loads right out of the box, others require a short break-in period using heavier loads before they will reliably cycle light loads.

Go visit this forum. There are tons of discussions in regards to semi-auto shotguns and using different loads.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/

#11 · (Edited)
I traded a pistol for a Rem 1100 20 ga LT-20 Magnum today at the Salisbury show. Extra nice gun, doesn't look to have been used much. Wouldn't eject at all until I checked the port and found it clogged. I cleaned the port with a large needle, but will give it a more thorough cleaning tomorrow. After that, th Win Buck 1200fps I bought at the show functioned nicely, but when I tried Walmart Win 7 1/2 1275 fps it wouldn't fully eject or feed. I've since read that a Magnum barrel with one port, instead of two, sometimes does not handle 2 3/4 shells well. I picked up a box of Federals that are 1220 fps when I got the Win's.... but figure I better return them to Walmart and get something stronger if it won't hand the Win 1275.

One other thing; it only holds 2 shells in the mag, plus one in the chamber. I assume this is some sort of "plug" that can be changed so that it holds four?

If I come across a used barrel suitable for cutting down to 18" I'd like to use that and make this a house gun, keeping the original barrel for the day I might want to sell it.

I started this thread about guns being finicky and looking for lighter recoil. The 1100 20ga is definitely light on the recoil and more pleasant for me to shoot. One way or the other, I'll get it up and running to suit me.

#12 ·
A couple of things to consider. There are 2 kinds of semi-autos. Benelli's are mostly inertia driven and usually require heavier loads to cycle. They are seldom used in target sports. Beretta, Remington and many others make a gas driven semi-auto. Gas guns absorb recoil so have lighter felt recoil. The 1100 is a very soft shooting gun and at one time that's all you saw in the gun rack at Skeet tournaments. Shooters owned one in each gauge. Pumps like the 870 kick worse that any semi-auto. There are 3 elements in the physics formula for free recoil, 1) Ejecta (the load basically) 2) Velocity and 3) Weight of gun. It's the weight of gun that confuses people. A 12 gauge shooting a 1 ounce, 1200fps load may have the same felt recoil as a lighter 20 gauge shooting a 7/8 oz load at 1200 fps (see the formula) . You can also download a 12 gauge to 7/8oz or less if you can get it to cycle. You want lighter recoil, the then either reduce the load, reduce the velocity or increase the weight of the gun. A few guns like the Beretta offer different exhaust springs that let less gas escape and therefore accommodate lighter loads. You can install Wolfe springs in a Benelli to shoot lighter loads. You can have gas ports drilled on any gas gun but only by a gunsmith. My advice is buy an inexpensive Berreta A300 12 gauge and shoot 1 oz or 7/8 oz loads. I hope some of this info helps.

#17 ·
I have an 11-87 that seems to cycle any brand of ammo except for Winchester White box (WWB). The problem is not one of too little extraction force though, I suspect the WWB shell is getting caught in the chamber somehow. The extractor will actually rip a slot in the WWB rim. Other than WWB, I've put every cheap (and not so cheap) ammo that I can find at a bargain and it cycles it all without a hitch. This includes such "cheap" brands as Estate, Rio and Monarch.

#18 ·
There are some semi's that will cycle everything out the box from 2&3/4 1oz dove loads to the hardest hitting 3&1/2 mags. They cost a bit more than a pump. First thing you need to do is figure out what your use is going to be for the shotgun, then pick one that serves that purpose that also fits and feels good to you. A shotgun needs to feel good, fit proper, and point natural.

#20 ·
My 12ga Benelli Super Black Eagle II will cycle 2 3/4” shells if their at or above 1 1/8 oz shot weight.

My 20ga Belgian Auto-5 will cycle 2 3/4” shells if the shot weight is 1 oz or higher. I have the friction rings set for heavy loads.

These are both inertia/recoil driven guns, not gas. Most Semis like heavier, hotter loads. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.