Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm am going to ask a question that I have be pondering of late.

How many mags are enough? 10, 20, 30...?

A second question would be what is you favorite mix? 10 rounder, 20 rounder, 30 rounder or something else?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I try to keep a minimum of 10 per rifle (AR & AKs) I own. I have a lot of mags.

Spent Saturday night pulling out all green and black followers and putting in new base plates and orange no tilt followers.

·
Vendor
2,629 Posts
I like a mix of 20 and 30 round ar mags. I keep 10 round and 30 rounders for my ak.

I probably have 10 mags for my ARs but I have 5 ARs. I only have one AK, but 10 mags.

I keep 2 mags per pistol.

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
I got a new Sharpie the other day and spent some time marking up my mags. I have 11 AR mags (2 rifles). 2 x 20rd, 9 x 30rd
For my IDPA/2-gun pistol I have 12 mags...but those mages see duty in 2 different pistols and a carbine

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ive got around 75 many are loaded, some aren't. I load em short usually25 rds. Ive been working on that stash for over 3 yrs. But that is between me and my father and four ar's

Now I'm focused on getting more AR10 and saiga12 mags I want at least7 for each, but only have 4-5 a piece for now

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
I have around 20...and 1 AR. I really don't think there is such a thing as "too many" though.

My rule on quantity: say the following sentence: "Things were going great, but went all to hell because I just had too many/much (insert item in question)."

If the previous sentence sounds silly, then keep buying more.

Some common things there are never "enough" of include:

Beer
Ammo
Firearms
Doritos
Magazines
Barbque
Cars
Lube (for any purpose)
Money
Gas
Midgets

I personally just started out with 5, because that's how many my rifle case could hold...then over time I picked up more as I saw good deals, wanted to try something different, or wanted a different style of mag.

I prefer the 30 round magazines for general use, but like having at least one 20 rounder for shooting off bags or home defense. Smaller 5-10 round mags may be good for hunting where you only need a few rounds and you want to save the space or reduce snags.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
I have around 20...and 1 AR. I really don't think there is such a thing as "too many" though.

My rule on quantity: say the following sentence: "Things were going great, but went all to hell because I just had too many/much (insert item in question)."

If the previous sentence sounds silly, then keep buying more.

Some common things there are never "enough" of include:

Beer
Ammo
Firearms
Doritos
Magazines
Barbque
Cars
Lube (for any purpose)
Money
Gas
Midgets

I personally just started out with 5, because that's how many my rifle case could hold...then over time I picked up more as I saw good deals, wanted to try something different, or wanted a different style of mag.

I prefer the 30 round magazines for general use, but like having at least one 20 rounder for shooting off bags or home defense. Smaller 5-10 round mags may be good for hunting where you only need a few rounds and you want to save the space or reduce snags.
Don't forget midgets and doritos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk or some other crappy forum app.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I own 6 AR's right now and have probibly around 70 to 80 mags. I was brought up to think that mags are disposiable and if SHTF then I am not going to be running around picking up my mags. Yes I know what a dump pouch is and I do own one, but if for whatever reasion they get dropped I am not slowing down
to get them. I would feel good with 250 mags or so.

Oh yea, only 6 of them are 20 rounders all others are 30 rounders. Only 15 are metal ones, all others are PMAG's.

And long story short, I ended getting 25 of the 30rnd pmags for free.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've got over 30 right now, but then again I buy and sell magazines lol. 6 are issued mags, 9 mags are kept loaded. 2 20rders, the rest are 30s.

The others are inventory. Just mailed out 50+ mags today.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Didn't you install a limiting bar in it to make sure it only holds 5 at any time too?
Nah, but I am looking to into converting my AR's to single shot bolt actions since no person needs more than that.

BUT, if someone does decide to buy more the (10) pack of D&H Mags from DSGArms is a sweet deal!

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
3-4 are all I need. I'd rather have another rifle than 70 mags any day. Of course I don't plan my shooting around trying to defend a fortified position from an invasion force but that's just me :)

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I have 10 30rd mags and 2 20rd mags for my 2 ARs. More than enough, but not too many...

I like to have 5 mags min for everything I own. Makes competitions easier, and saves time at the range reloading. I also have a few spare springs for the ones I use alot.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have at least two mags for every rifle that has a removable mag , any one that may ever be a deer rifle I have a 5 round mag , and who can have too many 20 round mags

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.