How many trouble free rounds before it's "carry-worthy" | Carolina Shooters Club

How many trouble free rounds before it's "carry-worthy"

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by carolina sorillo, Sep 29, 2021.

1. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

Alright y'all,

I've had several 1911's in the past so I'm not unfamiliar with them, I carry a Springfield Compact Lwt RO everyday. I know most people say 4-500rds for break-in of a new 1911. I just bought a used Springfield GI. So here's my question for you:

How many trouble-free rounds do put through a "new-to-you", used 1911 before you deem it trustworthy for carry?

Thanks,
    CS

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  2. 1911gobang

1911gobang Sponsor

Virgin- 500
    Old enough to drink- 350-400
    Newlywed- 250-300
    Milf with 2 kids- 100-150
    Truck stop hooker- 75-100

The more well loved, the fewer “peace of mind” rounds.

This is, of course, IMHO. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PistolPete89

PistolPete89 Registered Member

Far from an authority on the subject as I've only picked up one gently used 1911 to date, but I felt comfortable after ~200 rounds of FMJ and two mags of carry ammo. I felt it was properly broken in and proven reliable enough for me at that point. No issues since then.

Hope you enjoy the new purchase!

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  4. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

There ain't no hard and fast number.

What there is are opinions that people will debate and argue over.

Ultimately, YOU have to decide this for yourself. Certainly, this may be based on the opinions, experience, and advice from others. But the decision is yours.

What your decision should be based on is the ammunition, the gun, and the magazines used with that gun. It should also be based on anything you do with that gun which may change the way it operates.

So it's more than just "200 or 500 rounds cycled flawlessly". It's 200 or 500 rounds cycled flawlessly with all the above. The number of rounds should ultimately satisfy YOU as to it's reliability.

Change the ammo? Make sure it works.

Buy new magazines or replace the magazine spring? Make sure it works.

Replace springs or upgrade the safety to an ambidextrous safety in the pistol? Make sure it works.

Replace the grips? Yep...make sure it works because poorly fitted grips can impact slide movement.

A friend of mine once brought up a good point: many people are insanely religious about cleaning their firearms after any usage...deep cleaning them, even. Which is all well and good. But how do you know that your carry gun, which you just tore completely down to the frame and then put back together, will ACTUALLY fire when you pull the trigger?

Things that make you say "hmmm..."

People can get insanely rigorous about the number of rounds to cycle through before they'll "certify" their carry piece as worthy of carrying. You can be that way...or not. The decision is yours.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    42dcnf, rhargett3, majicmike and 3 others like this.
  5. Sharps4050

Sharps4050 Registered Member

I just carry what it's designed for, full power 230g fmj.

None of mine ever, ever puked on fmj. And, Mil spec ball has been stopping fights with alacrity for over 10o years.

As for breakingin, I suppose you can say I do, I usually target a mag or two before carry, just to check zero. (But I've never seen a spec 1911 that needed break in, whisker tight high end call girl guns yes. Spec gun no)

So, make it 14 to 21 rounds for break in, then straight to service....

It's a 1911, trust it .... or don't. Personal choice.

6. carolina sorillo

Thanks for the response y'all. I was thinking a couple hundred but thought I'd ask others opinions. My carry ammo is a 200gr XTP, my practice ammo is 235gr cast tc, almost identical profiles. Both run through the Compact RO like water, hoping for the same from the GI.

Here they are:

Carry pair.jpg

CS

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  7. carolina sorillo

Well, I took the GI out Sunday afternoon and ran about 200 rds through it. About 85rds of 230gr FMJ, about 100rds of 235gr cast tc and a couple mags of 200gr XTP's. No FTF, no FTEj, no FTEx, not a single hiccup and decent groups too!! I even cleared a Texas Star with it in 6.3sec. starting holstered. I think I'll keep her! ;)

CS

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Sharps4050 and PistolPete89 like this.
  8. PistolPete89

PistolPete89 Registered Member

Sweet, glad to hear it performed well!

9. carolina sorillo

Thanks, me too. I'm a little leery of used 1911's because they are somewhat easily customized and sometimes "Bubba'ed'!

10. 42dcnf

42dcnf Registered Member

Round count doesn't matter.

I have guns I shot 50 times and decided were reliable. And one I shot 500 times and still couldn't believe it was reliable.

Shoot the gun enough that you believe it is reliable. An objective standard isn't possible.

11. carolina sorillo

I get that. There was 4 of us shooting Sunday with different levels of shooting abilities. They all took a couple turns with it using 3 different types of ammo. I figured if it didn't have a hiccup through that I'm good to go with it.

CS

12. cocopuff

cocopuff Registered Member

It’s a machine as others have stated before so it's all about whether the firearm is built to specs with quality materials, If done correctly the 1911 will work right out if the box if lubed properly. Always run a test of the carry ammo, fmj ball of course, and the magazines that carry the rounds. The bottom line is military spec; if you venture away with shorter versions, super speedo magazines, hp bullets, etc. be prepared for failures and practice accordingly. Know what you are buying when it comes to the 1911. There are too many half-assed versions and related products waiting to fail at the first opportunity but do know there are as many versions of the 1911 out there that will surpass the reliability of any handgun yet made.