How not to instruct a CHP Class | Page 2 | Carolina Shooters Club

How not to instruct a CHP Class

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by mckenziedrums, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

This is yet another problem with permits, as government tells you that you must go pay and train with someone to exercise your right. These two men should not have to go to anyone to be certified to protect their lives. Training should be encouraged, but it should not be mandatory. Their training should be on their terms.

Support constitutional carry, an essential civil right for everyone.

2. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

And , that's the way it should be done. Thank you.

3. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

First off, no CHP class teaches you how to "use" the weapon you bring. It should teach when it can be used in self defense.
    Secondly, has this instructor been reported to the state? If not, why not?
    Complaining to Fuquay is fine to possibly have him removed from their roster of instructors but unless sanctioned by the governing authority (state of NC) he'll just wind up some place new with the same crappy views and habits.

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  4. Fuquay Gun

Fuquay Gun Registered Member

Happy Fouth! I have not had the opportunity to speak to the men that we have offended so as of yet I dont know exactly know what was said in this class or why but I can assure you all, none of my team will be doing any preaching or hate speech of any kind to or about anyone. We like to remain neutral on nearly everything, it just makes sense, we dont want to alienate anyone for any reason. We take a lot of pride in the job we do and making every client feel welcome and eager to come back again. I am very sorry anyone went through our class not getting that warm fuzzy welcome feeling of appreciation. I will be more than happy to put these gentlemen through another class with a different instructor at no charge. This is the first time in 12 years of business that I have ever had anything like this and I am more ashamed and embarrassed and again very sorry and very anxious for more details and the opportunity to speak to the ones we have offended so I may offer my sincerest of apologies and hopefully resolutions. I hate that I wasn't contacted directly so I could resolve this more quickly. Most of you already know how we roll and we are going to do our best to make sure ALL of our AWESOME clients are taken care of and satisfied to the point that we are your only gun shop. I know its a holiday but I am available for any of you.

If anyone ever has a comment or complaint feel free to contact me or any of the managers we are more than eager and willing to help any way we can.

Thank you again we appreciate you and Happy Independence Day!

5. Fuquay Gun

yes everyone that took yesterdays class completed it and passed all portions and left with certifications. No one at FG&G knew anything about this until this hit Carolina Shooters. We will gladly refund or train them again with another instructor or anything else we can do to make it right.

Geezer, Silver_Bullet, foamx and 3 others like this.
  6. Fuquay Gun

agreed we will leave the preaching to the professionals

Geezer likes this.
  7. htperry

htperry Hall of Shame

[​IMG]

Lawless and NoKimberDave like this.
  8. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Having watched Shawn @tsconver conduct the firearms practical portion of his class, I will say that these gentlemen will get the practical, hands on training with their firearms that they want. He is very thorough and no one "just shoots for record" . They will get practical training on the safe use if their handgun and some real world training before shooting for record. In my opinion, more classes should do this. I can tell you that the class I took, which was not with Carolina Smoke and Guns covered the bare minimum and range time was basic familiarization with the firearm used to qualify and then shooting for record. Fortunately, I was there only to learn the laws of NC as I knew how my weapon functioned already. Shawn and Susan don't skimp on the law part either. If they choose to retake the class with Shawn, they will not be disappointed.

Clay, I'm glad to hear that you are taking action. I have made several purchases in your store and never had a bad experience there. Everyone on the sales floor was helpful and polite, really just there to make sure I was comfortable with my choice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

9. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

It may be good to get all sides, from the instructor, others in the class, etc. It could be these charges are somply over exaggerated.
    Hope it works out for all involved.

nchiker1 and NoKimberDave like this.
  10. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I assure you Tailhunter, these aren't "charges" and having had a chance to speak to the gentleman his concerns are completely valid. Your own bias is duly noted, yet again. He'll be reaching out to Clay. They can take it from there.

11. Tailhunter

Yup. I'm biased against people.

We all know no one ever over tells a tale especially when feelings and emotions are involved.

Hope it all gets worked out.

12. dubnali

dubnali Active Member

Clay, ever think about expanding West? We need an establishment like yours out here west of I-77.

bashman and Matt.Cross like this.
  13. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Exactly, would be interesting to hear from others in the class. People have been known to lie or exaggerate to create such stories often, but that's not saying they did. If it's true, it's unfortunate, as anyone should be afforded their right to carry without scrutiny. None of us can really take a side, as we weren't there. Not sure how you are biased on this as drums states, by being open to hearing from the other side.

Being everyone got their certification in that class, I can not fathom setting in a class and finishing a course where I was being highly offended, or my way of life was being scrutinized. That's the only part that's a little strange.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  14. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

@mckenziedrums if they got the certificate, they'll be better off taking a basic handgun class, like @J.Boyette 's nra basic course and force on force. It would be much better training than a concealed carry class. Much more essential time learning techniques to defend yourself, shooting your handgun, and the force on force puts you in situations where you must make a decision.

15. Friday

Friday Just the Facts Ma'am.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend!
    I don't care if you're a flaming purple people eater. If you despise the gun grabber mentality as much as I do we'll get along swell.

16. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

I can. I can't think of a time when I've done so, but if someone is already in the class, paid money (that they reasonably believe they will not recoup)...it's likely easier to keep quiet and walk out disgusted but having passed the class than it is to complain and try to reschedule and find another instructor. Not everybody has the same alpha approach to these issues.

shootn4fun likes this.
  17. mckenziedrums

I'm going to stop you right there. Don't even imply a lie was told here. As I said from the beginning I hesitated to post this mostly because of replies like this. If you're not offering to help these gentleman please feel free to reserve your comments. They'll talk to Clay and have a lot of great training options already offered.

18. Tailhunter

Wow.
    Just Wow.

Who's biased now?

Matt.Cross and bashman like this.
  19. mckenziedrums

Still you Tailhunter. I know these folks personally, I don't take kindly to anyone implying they were lying about this.

I see enough of this kind of behavior on this forum. It's not hard to believe it pops up in classes, etc. Was the instructor purposefully attacking them? Probably not... But making off hand remarks against gays is unprofessional and completely uncalled for. Go troll elsewhere.

Slacker likes this.
  20. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

I really don't want to wade into this pissing match, but...
    you said up thread that you heard it third hand and that the story might not be exactly as represented.

21. mckenziedrums

I spoke to them last night. End of that discussion. They have a legitimate concern and as I already have stated they're going to talk to Clay.

Originally my wife relayed the story to me. If you'd like to call her a liar we can discuss that in person. After the thread blew up and ended up on Reddit I talked to him personally to make sure I hadn't caused a fecal storm for no reason.

22. bashman

bashman Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I'm sure you're presenting the facts as you've been told them accurately Drums, but shouldn't innocent until proven guilty also apply to the court of public opinion. It's very likely when Clay digs a little deeper into this that he'll discover similar recounts of this encounter from others that were in this class. But until that time, shouldn't the pitchforks be holstered a little longer.
    Again, I'm not saying they were lying, and I'm sure they were truthful with you, but many people were sure Crystal Mangum was telling the truth until the truth came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

majdurham likes this.
  23. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

No one is calling anyone a liar. There are always two sides to every story, and in the thread you said yourself you heard one side... third hand. No one is impugning you, or your wife's integrity here. It's just that a fine gun shop's reputation got drug out into the mud here, by you, on a third hand story at the time you posted the thread.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  24. mckenziedrums

What pitch forks? I've stated repeatedly that Fuquay is an excellent store and that I still think they are great? This particular instructor crossed lines of professionalism, period. Clay has proven how great they are by offering to make it right.

One trainer made a stupid mistake, that's it.

25. htperry

htperry Hall of Shame

It's a shame these consumers, when dissatisfied with the class, couldn't leave and take up their complaint with the business owner. Hopefully the owner would have sincerely appreciated the report and accommodated whatever their reasonable request of reparations.

Geezer likes this.
  26. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

Sorry, drums, but this is the same tactic the climate change people use, along with almost all liberals trying to force change against the will of the majority. Anytime someone presents a counterargument, slamming the door shut to further discussion is the typical liberal MO.

Since you "see enough of this kind of behavior on this forum," you knew what kind of reaction you'd generate. Probably would have been better to not post this, at least until the information was better than third hand. JMHO.

27. mckenziedrums

They didn't feel that they'd be listened to. Their fear was the trainer represented the feelings of others at the business. I've made it a point to let them know that isn't the case so now they are going to speak with Clay.

trcubed and bashman like this.
  28. mckenziedrums

Counter argument? No one posting other than myself has any information on the encounter. My wife told me about it, I posted, I then verified the information again with the individual that attended. I'm not going to take kindly to anyone implying my wife or a family friend would lie.

This needed to be posted. That's why I posted it. What I'm hoping for is a positive outcome not just the usual suspects trying to cast doubt on people they've never met because they don't agree with their lifestyle. That's exactly the problem.

I was perfectly happy to let them and Clay work it out but apparently some people can't leave it alone.

shootn4fun and SPST like this.
  29. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

This thread would now be best closed.

30. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

At least til Friday. Then I would like to hear more about how homophobic we have all been including examples and quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Rowe, majdurham, trcubed and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.