Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a SW MP 15-22 that I normally keep my silencer on. I recently moved, and I've got a location where I can step outside on a back porch and pop of a few rounds almost whenever I want. I'm happy as can be. Good thing .22lr is really cheap. Five rounds at a time multiple times a day adds up.

I'm curious if there is any way to get the action of the 15-22 to run more quietly? Are there any parts that I can swap out to make it quieter when the silencer is on it?

Or, is there a way to lock the bolt shut on the 15-22 to make it run like a bolt action? Is there some sort of device that when put in place will lock the bolt shut to make it run like a single shot? That would be super-quiet and super-awesome.

Ideas anybody?

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
A good bolt action rifle is around $200. It's worth every penny with a suppressor. Marlin XT-22RZ.

Savage MKII FS-VR is about $280. Both come with threaded barrels in 1/2x28.

I know that's not what you're looking for, but they are awesome rifles with a suppressor.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A good bolt action rifle is around $200. It's worth every penny with a suppressor. Marlin XT-22RZ.

Savage MKII FS-VR is about $280. Both come with threaded barrels in 1/2x28.

I know that's not what you're looking for, but they are awesome rifles with a suppressor.
I didn't know that's what I was looking for either, but man were you right!

I picked up a Savage Mark II FS-VR in town at Freedom Guns in Greenville, SC for $250 OTD. Happy to deal with them, because they did come down on the price for me based on my online shopping around. I was surprised they came down to $250 OTD, too. Went straight home and shot several of the 5-rd mags through it. Happiness ensued! I can hardly walk past the door to my back deck without wanting to pick that thing up and put 5 rounds through it. Thank you very much for pointing me in the RIGHT direction! I already have two 10-rd mags on order and in the mail.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. If anybody wants to move my thread to a more appropriate section, that's fine with me.
I'll put this in NFA section for you.

Some of those guys might not even bother with us folk in the noisy section? :D We are to inconsiderate of others shooting our guns all loud! :D

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I didn't know that's what I was looking for either, but man were you right!

I picked up a Savage Mark II FS-VR in town at Freedom Guns in Greenville, SC for $250 OTD. Happy to deal with them, because they did come down on the price for me based on my online shopping around. I was surprised they came down to $250 OTD, too. Went straight home and shot several of the 5-rd mags through it. Happiness ensued! I can hardly walk past the door to my back deck without wanting to pick that thing up and put 5 rounds through it. Thank you very much for pointing me in the RIGHT direction! I already have two 10-rd mags on order and in the mail.
That thing sure is fun with a suppressor on it! Be careful, though, it can be a wallet killer. I dropped $400 into mine within only weeks of buying it. There are a few nice stocks out there to choose from.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found that out already. Tried one of the $15 cheek pads... Waste. May get a stock sooner or later. Trying out the EOtech on it currently. A 1-4x worked well except for the really had cheek weld the stock stock gives.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Well if you did any amount of searching I'm sure you've seen that the Mueller APT is very popular for rimfires like these. I picked mine up from JoeBob and am very happy with it, better for the application than the Vortex Viper that I had. That stock is made for people with giraffe necks, I don't know anyone who can use it well. If I wasn't going for the tactical look, I'd get a Boyds hunter stock, better quality wood than the tacticool.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Pick up a box of cb's, or some of the aguila subsonics if you want it as quiet as possible. They also wont cycle the action on an semi, so they shoot almost as quiet on them as in a bolt gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.