Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lighting... soft but a lot of light

this is 2 off camera flashes fired through white umbrellas, but the same can be achieved with drop lights or bright lamps etc... and put a peice of construction paper in front or white pillow case...something to diffuse the light

·
Terminator terminator
3,922 Posts
Good camera with an expensive lens plus a tripod. I can't take picture worth a crap otherwise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
its really all about lighting and composition, if the gun is just sitting on a counter top then no matter how good the pic is, it will look like a gun on a kitchen counter...lol

and most cameras are capable of taking damn good pics as long as the Light is good.

took this messing around with my lil canon pocket camera and a lamp shining on it in my barn.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I needed these tips. I see all these really nice looking photos and have a damn good camera, but my pictures end up looking like a 5th grader took them. On second thought, I've seen some kids that take better pictures than me. So natural light is one of the secrets.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It is all about the light as the previous posters have stated. Defused light is best. Google product photography and you can find pics of the photogs. setup. It doesn't have to be expensive.

You do have to have a decent camera but not expensive. 20 megapixel will do nothing a 8 mp won't except let you make a billboard out of it.

Styrofoam plates make decent defusers. As does plain white printer paper.

·
Former member
3,807 Posts
Also use the macro function of your camera....the wrist strap is a good distance to use along with the macro setting.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am not a photographer, and have not taken any quality gun pictures, but I have taken some really good pictures of pool cues. I use a 8mp camera on a tripod, and only do it outside on a sunny day but not in direct sunlight. My house conveniently blocks the sun in the late afternoon from my back deck, which makes a great place to take pics from.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There is a ton more to shooting good pics of anything......besides having good equipment. You can buy a DSLR camera and a $1000 lens, and still take crappy pictures. Just go look at the photography forums online.....you'll find plenty of examples. Lunchbox covered most of the keys.....you need good lighting, and a good general background/scene for the gun itself. There are plenty of things to make your gun pictures standout....many different ways to shoot a picture. Its going to be more on your own taste and preferences though. Here are a couple pictures of my guns, to show what I prefer......

Sometimes firearms in action make for great photos too. This is my Mosin Nagant M44, being shot around 5pm in the summertime.....still tons of light left out. :)

I actually took this with my cell phone.....
`

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.