Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Arsenal SGL-21 and I added a Bushnell TRS-25 on a UTG quick-release side rail mount. It rides too high to co-witness the irons, so that is not an issue. I plan to use it at PHA matches and such for now so when I had an opportunity to quickly sight this in I chose to have it shoot a couple inches high at 50-yards. Mostly because I ran out of ammo before I could get it dead-nutz but I figured it's good enough for my purpose.

If I understand my geometry correctly the POI should move down as I get closer to the target and my current setting should be fine for the short ranges I plan to play in. Am I doing this right?

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Why did you sight 2" high at 50yds?

Yes, optic height over bore will cause the POINT to be lower than POA in decreasing amounts till your initial intersection/zero.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shot 3x, adjust, repeat. I messed up a few times and adjusted the wrong way (noob!) and ran out of ammo. I know it isn't right yet but I have to run with it unless I can do something before the match Saturday.

I suppose my question should be: For tactical games under 50 yards how should I set my red dot?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i run an open gun in 3 gun so i set mine up at 100yd poa poi for the scope and the canted red dot is set up 25yd poa poi
i use my scope for all target 25yd and out and the red dot for everything closer
not everyone preferred method it all depends on how YOU want it

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Zero it at 100 yards. At 200 you will be just at the bottom of the dot, depending on the moa dot size. At 300 aim for the head and pray you hit somewhere in the midsection. Past 300 just forget about it and get closer to target (or hold way above the head a pray some more) :D At close range the point of impact will be at about the top of the dot. 7.62x39 ballistics are like a rainbow. :D :D
It's an AK not a match rifle :D

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
What about mounting the red dot on the top rail, so it comes up natuarally when you need quick acquisition. Then cant mount the scope. I know it would look really weird, but it seems to be the more practical option. Make any sense??

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
What about mounting the red dot on the top rail, so it comes up natuarally when you need quick acquisition. Then cant mount the scope. I know it would look really weird, but it seems to be the more practical option. Make any sense??
I would only recommend mounting something to an ak using the side receiver mounts. A top rail mount on a receiver cover gets kicked around, as the ak action is violent, and the receiver cover is not firm enough to reliably hold zero. The side of the receiver is solid. You can replace the rear sight if you wish and have a solid mounting option for a red dot there.

A scope and a reddot on an AK is a little overkill in my opinion. You would need a special mount to run both, like a mount with rails on top of the scope rings.

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
I have a zero article posted in the rifle section.

All these rifles that are center fire shoot the same short range zero to 300yds mostly.

Look it up. I will be adding some data for target engagement later.

John

·
Teacher of the Craft
8,069 Posts
Guys,

Most short action center fire rounds have the same drop from 0-300yds. The only real change is how tight the cone of fire is.

So a zero is a zero. People think the ak is flatter to 300yds. But it's not the mechanical offset is less.

John

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Guys,

People think the ak is flatter to 300yds. But it's not the mechanical offset is less.

John
Really? People actually think that about 7.62x39!
They can punch it in at JBM and see the drop off past 200, or just go shoot it like I do and find out for yourself.

I hope you get a class around the beach! I am interested.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
I'll admit to thinking it was a reasonably flat shooting caliber. I never looked at the ballistic tables on it. Then I finally shot it out past 100 yards. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing where I was hitting. Now I know. Rainbow is a correct term for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.