I Don't Know Where to Ask this Question | Carolina Shooters Club

I Don't Know Where to Ask this Question

Discussion in 'National 2A Law' started by Shortbus, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Shortbus

Shortbus Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Wanted to ask this question but couldn't find the appropriate place. Mods, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

Here is the scenario. Going to Michigan for a week or so to visit the admiral's family. With things the way they are in this country I want to carry more than a handgun. NC has reciprocity on handguns in all the states we will be passing through. (NC, VA, WV, OH, and MI) However, it seems that their rifles laws are varied but most say "inaccessible and unloaded". Some even say they need to be in a locked case.

Two questions. 1. Where can I go to find out about carrying a rifle, and 2. where would I go to see if each state's reciprocity handgun laws would also apply to an AR pistol. Makes sense that it would but just trying to be careful.

Not asking anyone to do my research for me, just point me in the right direction.

And yes, I have done a boatload of Googling and just can't find any specifics.

Thanks in advance.

2. Brian K

Brian K Corporate Scapegoat Club Subscribed

3. Shortbus

Thanks. I looked at both of those and may be making more of it than it is. My only problem is that they don't really address transportation. I guess a handgun is a handgun even if it is an AR handgun. Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing.

4. aquarist

aquarist Registered Member

I believe you are correct in saying "a handgun is a handgun" if it's classified as a handgun under the ATF I don't think it should be an issue.

5. BigWaylon

BigWaylon Stamp Collector

At a federal level that's correct. However, there are states that put max lengths. I don't know if they're current, so I'm not going to quote them, but I've seen both 26" and 30" listed as examples.

In other states, they're still considered a pistol, but you can't carry them concealed if they're over a certain length. For example, I believe SC has a 12" max.

6. FINO

FINO Registered Member

your questions are good ones and have made me aware that traveling with weapons is fraught with laws that a law abiding citizen could get trapped with. It is past time for our govt to repeal all laws that infringe on the 2nd. Constitutional carry for America would be a good start in returning we the people rights to what they always were meant to be.NOT INFRINGED.

7. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Wish I could like that twice.

8. Shortbus

I think I'll just go the AR pistol route and bury it deep under the coolers and luggage. I'll have a 1911 in my console and that's a no brainier since all the states we will be travelling thru honor a NC CHP. Again, I don't want to be paranoid but I also don't want to be 600 miles away from home if SHTF. Not looking to shoot anybody, just trying to improve our chances if SHTF on our way home.

BTW, I have been asked to take some Bar-B-Q and red slaw with me to Michigan. I'll probably do the butts a day or two before and just get the red slaw at Phifers.

Thanks for all the input!

Zbizzle911 likes this.
  9. FINO

FINO Registered Member

have a good safe trip. may you never need to use nor regret not having.being prepared is hard to argue against. spoil them people with n.c. Bar-B-Que and they might think of moving south.,.Just saying.

10. Sneakymedic

Sneakymedic being super sneaky Club Subscribed

Pssssht. What could possibly happen? :)

FINO likes this.
  11. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

Remember the 4th and 5th.
    Drive sensibly. Have a safe trip.
    Enjoy an olive burger while you're there, too bad you can't have a MBC Celis Grand Cru with it anymore.