IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: please read | Carolina Shooters Club

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: please read

Discussion in 'Club News | How To's | Issues & Suggestions' started by soreshoulder, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

You may have noticed the server upgrade last week. This was for a very exciting reason, we have moved CSC to a new owner, Second Media, who own a lot of outdoor and gun forums.

This will put the technical and business side of the site into the hands of folks that do this every day, 24 hours a day, and can keep things running along and keeping pace with technology.

We'd like to introduce you to Philip, who will be the admin on the site representing Second Media.

Of course where will be some questions, so here's the basics:

Why would you sell the site?

As anyone who has run one of these mega sites will tell you, its a lot of work and expense to be able to keep pace with software updates, fight off attacks, keep up with the books, etc. Neo travels a lot with work, and my ability to log in during the day has gotten to the point where its not easy to keep up. With increasing family responsibilities on both sides, we decided to shift the technical side to someone else so it can continue to grow, and continue to be great, for you guys.

How does this affect you?

It doesn't. The Lifers are still Lifers, the Subscribers are still subscribers, the staff will stay the same, and Neo and I will still be Admins. The rules will stay the same, and Nothing in regards to how we and the mods moderate will be affected: we keep our rules and our mod policies.

We ask that everyone give the new guys a warm welcome, and be optimistic about the path the site is going

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    29 likes this.
  2. Climberman

Climberman Well-Known Member

Is this the same people who got NCgunowners a while back?

3. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Retired Staff Member Lifetime Member

yes, but the sites are still going to be run separately by the people that have been running them forever. It is just a different server and different advertising network, the culture won't be changing.

4. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

Hey Everyone.
    I will be here working with the existing mod team on the webmaster type duties here. You wont see much change here other than a few new faces in the halls checking up on the site functions. My main focus here is to take some of the weight off Ed & Neil managing the tech issues.
    Thanks,
    Phil

5. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Congrats to you both @NEO and @soreshoulder

You've built one hell of an awesome site/forum and I hope you are able to enjoy the fruits of your labor and a little more free time.

6. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

None of this will change.
    -Philip

majdurham and 11B CIB like this.
  7. wally592

wally592 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm an IT guy. But I'll be honest. I was so glad when my church took the website load off the hands of a few of us members and put it in the hands of people that were paid to do it 9-5. There were three of us at the time running the website, and none of us were chomping at the bit to keep it in our hands by the time it finally happened. Time demands of the website just kept growing and growing.

Life happens. Accept it and move on. Or accept it and stick around. Voice your opinion a time or two in this thread. And hopefully CSC stays CSC for a long time to come.

Tomb Raider and soreshoulder like this.
  8. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

The site has already been running google ads. We have not made any changes to this.
    -Philip

9. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

Still are.
    -Philip

gunbelt and Silver_Bullet like this.
  10. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

Will you be addressing the myriad of other legitimate concerns expressed by the membership in this thread?

This would be a great opportunity to show that Second Media acknowledges and is interested in the concerns of established members.

11. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

Servers are in Dallas Texas.
    -Philip

12. backwoodsshooter

backwoodsshooter OEF 10-11

Yea, there was a fiasco on 68forums when they took over....... Hope that doesn't happen here.

13. Goofyfoot2001

Goofyfoot2001 Active Member

I'm only here cause I was banned everywhere else.

14. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Member

Welcome and we will be watching.....

15. drypowder

drypowder Les Deplorables Club Subscribed

Raleigh, a little east of the Fairgrounds
    Does this mean the end of the Minefield?

I'm not too worried about the change in ownership. If Second Media starts running this site with the kind of editorial discretion that Facebook and most leftist run organizations use, we'll all go elsewhere and the value of this site will go to zero.

16. pinkbunny

pinkbunny Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

These guys are here to run a business. I don't think anything will change, don't fix what works.

Now, if we start seeing banners telling us to whitelist the site on our ad blockers(you should all have them)...

17. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

I have worked here longer than the star has invested in the Verticalscope. I can tell you with all certainty the torstar media has not once been involved in anything I do here. The Toronto Star news paper is another small part of what torstar does just like when they invested in VS. The site will not be shut down it will not go away. My job is to make sure the site is still up and functioning. If you see a problem with the site before reaching out to all users to announce the sky is falling please send my account a pm with the details so I know what you are seeing and I can try to fix it.
    -Philip

18. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this.
    -Philip

Cold1 likes this.
  19. Cold1

Cold1 Registered Member

In all seriousness, the same thing happened to another forum I am a member of. Same company bought them out. (I think the guy there was a Phil too) After the initial "OH CRAP" from everybody,nothing changed for subscribers. The biggest change came for people that are not subscribers and are just cruising in without being logged in, thats when you get hit with tons of adverts.

20. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

So are there changes you suggest for this site? I am interested in hearing what you think the dive bar has always needed?
    -Philip

mechdriver and hscrugby like this.
  21. Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider Invictus Club Subscribed

Well, can I just say that I am glad to have my husband back? There were times that I would head for dreamland while Soreshoulder was spending time trying to work out site issues. He and Neo put a lot of effort into the operation of the site, and I think they did a great job. Now, with someone else doing the heavy lifting, they can enjoy the site and the hobby like the rest of you.

22. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

I know Ed and Neil, I know the effort put into this place (CSC) I know that when CSF went to CSC everyone's personal life was in a different place then now.

CSC has only been on the up swing, never a down turn, I will remain a member and sponsor of this site.

Now I hope Ed and Neil can go shoot and have fun at the range, and fun hanging out with us.

23. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

Its possible it was me, the team I work with is not that big.
    -Philip

qman97 likes this.
  24. frozenmusic

frozenmusic Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I understand the new owners are a business and they don't want to change the forum and runoff the locals. However, a business is rarely content with maintaining current revenue. They always want to develop the new acquisition into something bigger. I've been through this two times before. At first, just a few minor changes to fit their policy. I believe that has already happened in the last week or two. Then they expand, in my case the forum was about one particular model of jeep. The new forum owners tweeked, created sub-forums for other jeep models, and advertised the forum as all inclusive. Slowly the forum transformed into a site mostly about the new jeeps. The new jeep members looked down upon the original jeep members. At that point the forum that I knew was gone. But hey, it's a business decision based on profit and that's what businesses who buy out other businesses do.

JeepsnGuns likes this.
  25. gc70

gc70 Member

Okay - that is what needs to be said. New owners and unexplained changes is not the time to be coy or silent.

26. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

This whole thing is sad.

No talk, no questions, no "hey, what do you think about this?", no nothing, just boom, bam, here ya go sucka's.

Sad I tell ya ...

27. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

I have done nothing to any of the forum's on here. Not sure what was removed if at all. I am monitoring the site from my phone right now while I am in transit home. Trying to keep up on here is proving a little challenging.
    -Philip

28. gc70

gc70 Member

If you were devoting your time or responsible for paying the bills, you might have had a voice in the decision.

WNC Seabee likes this.
  29. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

The Toronto Star is what would happen if DailyKos got their shit together. They are unabashedly a well-oiled, well-practiced ultra-leftist propaganda machine, and cannot be trusted under any circumstances.

I'm with @Silver_Bullet. @drypowder, you'll have a PM momentarily.

gunbelt, IUHoosier429, SPM and 2 others like this.
  30. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

All I can say is if I start seeing competition or advertising that isn't paying the same as we are I will take my advertising dollars elsewhere

Until them business as usual

31. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

We know where you are, Don. You'll keep our business whether you are here or not, whether CSC is here or not.

htperry, ikarus1, DrDover and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.