Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Liquid Body jewelry Fluid Finger Thumb

So I'm trying to trim my 9mm brass and before you say it I have already been told that you don't "have" to trim 9mm. My length gauge keeps getting stuck in my brass and then when I provide firm pressure I get this result and the gauge gets stuck in the brass. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thoughts are head space and operator timing :p
I got to ask though why are you trimming 9mm or any pistol brass
Unless your being a cheap butt and trying to trim it down to 380

Also trimming before or after sizing?

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I don't think I have ever trimmed 9mm brass, rifle cartridges yes, as they tend to grow, but not 9mm as I have experienced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like you are using the Lee case length guage and trimmer. Try running the brass through the expanding die after resizing and then use your length guage/trimmer. The sizing die reduces the case mouth to slightly undersize and the expander die opens it to the proper inside diameter to accept a bullet or in this case the pilot portion of the case length guage.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I certainly see a good reason for trimming pistol brass, if your goal is accuracy. The 9mm, etc., headspace on the case mouth. When you load to a specific OAL and your case lengths vary then the distance from the bullet to the lands varies too. Also your crimp will vary. It might be nit-picky but it could make a difference in accuracy. I trim all and any new brass intended for accuracy loads for consistency's sake. You shouldn't have to trim handgun brass any more after the first time.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Yes, if you're shooting bullseye or something, there may be a good reason to trim pistol brass.

Someone mentioned trimming after the expander die, and that's what I've done when I wanted to try to make some super-uniform-and-accurate 45 loads. Worked out just fine.

For the record, I've never trimmed 9mm brass either, but again YMMV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.